Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Ottawa signs Brown + Schoen ?    

Brown had more chemistry with woli and those guys than Schoen. Bailey Woli. The guys who werent looked at as much with Zach on the field. 

they also like Hamilton and sask have very shitty olines tho. 

brown thrives with protection. Not sure he’s the scrambler those olines require. 

Edited by Goalie

I’ll be honest here also 

like ya here comes a giant lie lol but 

both brown and schoen give me Tom Canada vibes as ppl. Meaning not sure the extra 25 50k makes a difference to them. 

I think we sign schoen. Brown? I feel it’s up to him. Like we prob know what we’d offer him but will he take the big payday and maybe be out of the league next season or stay here and get more reps in the only cfl system he has ever known

Mike at the time, Reilly had a cannon and could take a beating. 

Dru more Arbuckle in my opinion. A good system QB on the right team. Not a guy like Reilly or Zach who can adapt to whatever system. 

Edited by Goalie

13 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

If you had to pick one, is is Brady or Schoen? I’m taking Shoen 100%

If we lose Brady, I will greatly miss how he dictated the tone to opponents, how he established the run to open up play action the pass game, how he was a multi threat and, as importantly, his sidelines off field contributions. 

I don't think he's a dime a dozen.

33 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I think it'll be the opposite. This team has been about 2 things since Miller took over. Community involvement (wpg boy who is known for community work) and tough ground and pound bully ball. I don't see that changing next year.

In the end I think Walters will be able to sign Brady for somewhere below $200k, but he'll be pushed over $250k if he hopes to retain Schoen.  Not sure which team will do the most pushing with Jones out of the bidding but my guess would be Hamilton, because they do these kind of things and could have a comparatively low QB budget. 

2 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

In the end I think Walters will be able to sign Brady for somewhere below $200k, but he'll be pushed over $250k if he hopes to retain Schoen.  Not sure which team will do the most pushing with Jones out of the bidding but my guess would be Hamilton, because they do these kind of things and could have a comparatively low QB budget. 

We aren't making an offer over 170k to Brady imo.

I would imagine you can find a dozen American running backs who can do what Oliveira did in our system (hell we had a  American we cut who looked good in preseason) . Love that he's local, love that he's a Canadian, he was absolutely the teams MOP last year... but RB is the most easily replaced position in football IMO.

42 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I would imagine you can find a dozen American running backs who can do what Oliveira did in our system (hell we had a  American we cut who looked good in preseason) . Love that he's local, love that he's a Canadian, he was absolutely the teams MOP last year... but RB is the most easily replaced position in football IMO.

Yes but not at his quality. I think we will find that out next year if we don't re-sign him imo.

20 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Yes but not at his quality. I think we will find that out next year if we don't re-sign him imo.

there's definitely RBs at his quality available (especially Americans) that won't cost NEARLY as much.... our system is as important as his ability. 

6 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I think it'll be the opposite. This team has been about 2 things since Miller took over. Community involvement (wpg boy who is known for community work) and tough ground and pound bully ball. I don't see that changing next year.

Miller doesn't coach the team. He has his duties. He lets Walters & O'Shea do there's. He stays in his lane. He does not interfere.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

A lot of that so called "quality" came with an offensive line that paved the road for Brady. Not many teams can do that for him. It's the guys up front that make Brady tick so replacing him isn't as hard as he may think.

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Oh I think there's better RBs out there to be honest. Brady is a bruiser but he's also a guy you need to give a pile of touches to in order to get the most out of him. Not sure where else that happens but winnipeg... if someone over pays him they will have buyers remorse.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I think James Butler, Kadeem Carey, Detrick Mills would all look good behind our oline.

The thing I’d miss most about Brady though is his work in the pass game both receiving and blocking. Blocking in particular, I’m not sure if any of those guys can match. 

Strictly running the ball, yes I think any of the 3 you mentioned would do as well or better than Brady. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

The thing I’d miss most about Brady though is his work in the pass game both receiving and blocking. Blocking in particular, I’m not sure if any of those guys can match. 

Strictly running the ball, yes I think any of the 3 you mentioned would do as well or better than Brady. 

Carey is a decent blocker.

Brady is an all round great back. What he does is repeatable and he'd continue to have success for a long time. He'd break records and he's do it as a local kid. So, it would be tough to lose him.

We will probably not fall backwards into another great back, you may get a good percentage of the the production at a vastly different price point though. It would be nice to add home run speed into the equation, as that's an element Brady doesn't bring (and why he shouldn't reset the market, imo - even if there's an RB who does). But it's likely that we go by committee and cycle through different backs in the future if we're unable to retain Brady's services, and that just sucks.

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Miller doesn't coach the team. He has his duties. He lets Walters & O'Shea do there's. He stays in his lane. He does not interfere

Not in the day to day. But he knows what he wants this team to look like and he's absolutely had a hand in building it. Whether you're right or wrong, what I said remains true. This team is about the community off the field and ground and pound on it.

The oline could have pushed me 20 yards each run also. Just saying. 

ppl are letting their heart and emotions come into play. He’s a Winnipeg kid so ppl are blinded a bit. I’d take a Charles Roberts who is consistent over a dude who NEEDS 20 touches a game to actually hit 100 yards. 5.8 avg? Augustine at 5.6 average.  It’s the Oline not the back. 

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The oline could have pushed me 20 yards each run also. Just saying. 

ppl are letting their heart and emotions come into play. He’s a Winnipeg kid so ppl are blinded a bit. I’d take a Charles Roberts who is consistent over a dude who NEEDS 20 touches a game to actually hit 100 yards. 5.8 avg? Augustine at 5.6 average.  It’s the Oline not the back. 

Splitting hairs but it was 5.9 yards per carry which gave him the 2nd highest average of all starting running backs (only Kevin Brown finished higher with 6.1).

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/statistics?category=rushing&stats=rushingYards

I agree with the sentiment that there are some readily available american runningbacks who could get the job done for us behind our offensive line. And with the XFL/USFL merger, there's going to be more opportunity to recruit rookies this season. Have said that i think the priority is Brady. He's a Canadian, a local product and he IMO has intangibles that are valuable to the team. No American runningback is going to care about the community as much as Brady nor will they understand to the same degree what it means to the fans to win. I see Brady as someone will can will this team to championships and can be a positive infectious force in the locker room helping young americans to be motivated by more than just a shot to look good and get into the NFL. Have said that we can't break the bank for him. He deserves a raise but not to be the highest paid non QB on the roster.