Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Was watching the pre-game show. Naylor and Farhan said that MOS was making all the decisions since the middle of the yrear & that Walters hadn't been offered a new contract yet. IF that's the case, then I could see Walters moving on.

Yeah, that sounds like BS. 

They have two different jobs making two different sets of decisions. 

Walters wasn't just sitting at home drinking coffee all year. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

yeah that always sounded like an excuse to me. Depth is gone and getting old and when the roster guys who don't play anywhere...... this was a poorly built roster with enough star power to overcome it most weeks

we went from best depth..2019 to 2021....to top couple teams in 2022...to possibly one of the poorer over all depth

Just now, Booch said:

u keep goiung back to the same argument....and this occured all yr...but when the starters were not getting it done...we had nobody to come in to kick start it...or we had a coach who refused to make that call

But which coach? Ya'll blaming MOS when it's the coordinators making these decisions.

Just now, Jesse said:

But which coach? Ya'll blaming MOS when it's the coordinators making these decisions.

u dont understand pro ball....the coach is the guy who sets the roster, and decides who the co-ords get to work with...they will have input but HC makes the roster decisions...and my take on it is Osh is very stubborn...plays favorites, and is also I believe behind the closed doors a bit of a control freak....

Just now, Goalie said:

Not all is well behind the scenes  

Refusing  to accept it I guess is easier 

I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to accept. 

This is just gossip. And not even specific gossip. What's not well?

I accept a lot of crap form this year, I've complained as much as anyone about the roster management decisions and the offences inability to get it going...but MOS and Walters? I don't know where that's coming from and don't but into it right now.

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

We used to have more of our starting defensive players on specials, in 2019 for sure.

Yeah we also have the fewest number of DB/LBs dressed I’ve ever seen at the 46 man roster number.  So basically all those guys are on cover team and starting.

We often had 8 OL and some games had 4 DTs dressed plus 2 backup receivers who don’t play teams.  BOLO had at times but not often.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Yeah we also have the fewest number of DB/LBs dressed I’ve ever seen at the 46 man roster number.  So basically all those guys are on cover team and starting.

We often had 8 OL and some games had 4 DTs dressed plus 2 backup receivers who don’t play teams.  BOLO had at times but not often.

did BOLO even see a snap today?...wouldnt shock me if he packed his bags and headed east

Just now, Booch said:

u dont understand pro ball....the coach is the guy who sets the roster, and decides who the co-ords get to work with...they will have input but HC makes the roster decisions...and my take on it is Osh is very stubborn...plays favorites, and is also I believe behind the closed doors a bit of a control freak....

I accept that you have experience that I don't. But like any job ever, there's not a definite way of running things. Every manager, coach, boss has their own way of organizing things, so I won't sit here and believe that every coach does "this".

Yes, MOS is the boss and can decide every detail. But no one is going to work with him and stay under him if he's forcing them to work with players that they don't want. It goes against everything we've heard from every player and coach about how this thing is run. 

Just now, Jesse said:

I accept that you have experience that I don't. But like any job ever, there's not a definite way of running things. Every manager, coach, boss has their own way of organizing things, so I won't sit here and believe that every coach does "this".

Yes, MOS is the boss and can decide every detail. But no one is going to work with him and stay under him if he's forcing them to work with players that they don't want. It goes against everything we've heard from every player and coach about how this thing is run. 

thats how football works tho...HC is the HNIC and makes the final call on roster and who u get to work with....He will take input, but he will roster whom he likes ....thats just the way it goes....and the players have no clue of the coaches decisons and how/why...thats not their place or role other than maybe a few real tenured vets

All teams are like this....a co-ordinator may not like it...but thats part and parcel of what they signed up for

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

The head coach always balances the roster out.

If I coach special teams and I want this guy on but you’re the DC and want this other player as a 4th LB because you have a couple sets you want to use him for in the next game the head coach decides who gets what they want or how the game roster looks.  Then we’re gonna go with the slot who has a bum ankle so we better have a plan to fill in for him in the likely event he can’t play the whole game so maybe my special teamer gets bumped off for that extra receiver and now I have to shuffle my plan. 

I mean you know from the look of the roster that every position doesn’t have backups and there’s much different utility for guys related to special teams.

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

thats how football works tho...HC is the HNIC and makes the final call on roster and who u get to work with....He will take input, but he will roster whom he likes ....thats just the way it goes....and the players have no clue of the coaches decisons and how/why...thats not their place or role other than maybe a few real tenured vets

All teams are like this....a co-ordinator may not like it...but thats part and parcel of what they signed up for

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The head coach always balances the roster out.

If I coach special teams and I want this guy on but you’re the DC and want this other player as a 4th LB because you have a couple sets you want to use him for in the next game the head coach decides who gets what they want or how the game roster looks.  Then we’re gonna go with the slot who has a bum ankle so we better have a plan to fill in for him in the likely event he can’t play the whole game so maybe my special teamer gets bumped off for that extra receiver and now I have to shuffle my plan. 

I mean you know from the look of the roster that every position doesn’t have backups and there’s much different utility for guys related to special teams.

Again, I'm not going to sit here and defend MOS.

I don't like the use of an American FB, or starting Biggie and Schoen when they were not at their best, or not having a back-up for the secondary or receiving core.

I just don't think that's what it cam down to tonight. We were one play away on a night when either our O or our D should have been able to run the table. So we can debate the minutiae that might have gotten us that 5% to take us over the edge, but I'm more concerned with why both halves of our team just ****ed off tonight.

Is Zach the issue? Is Buck out smarting himself? Do the Jeff's need more time in between plays? Do we need a more emotional leadership core that can bring the energy in important moments? I just can't believe the answer is in replacing a FB or having Ambles start instead of McCrea. 

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

HC is the HNIC and makes the final call on roster

man I dunno if you can say that...

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Is Zach the issue? Is Buck out smarting himself? Do the Jeff's need more time in between plays? Do we need a more emotional leadership core that can bring the energy in important moments? I just can't believe the answer is in replacing a FB or having Ambles start instead of McCrea. 

2019 and 2021 we won with depth. We don't have that depth now, especially with bighill and schoen going out there hurt. It comes down to a couple plays? Absolutely it does. So have the right roster so that you have either a) backups who can make that play or b) backups who can take rotations in to keep your stars fresh so they can make that play. 

4 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Again, I'm not going to sit here and defend MOS.

I don't like the use of an American FB, or starting Biggie and Schoen when they were not at their best, or not having a back-up for the secondary or receiving core.

I just don't think that's what it cam down to tonight. We were one play away on a night when either our O or our D should have been able to run the table. So we can debate the minutiae that might have gotten us that 5% to take us over the edge, but I'm more concerned with why both halves of our team just ****ed off tonight.

I think you’re underestimating how tight the margin is in these games.  Like say Jeffcoat/Jefferson each get 15 snaps off due to Haba or Garbutt being dressed.  They have way more juice for the the 2nd and 18, 3rd and 5 or whatever it would have been if they made the 2nd down play in the final minute.

How does that not have an impact on winning?  That’s the exact formula this group was using in 19 and 21….remember the Cheetah package they’d roll a bunch to keep everyone fresh and opposition off balance?

It’s cliche to say “ok get the next play” because everything that happens is cumulative and there’s no way to just suck it up and have that energy difference present itself on that play as it would if you have 15 less snaps on your punchcard.

That’s why it matters.

2 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

No way- Cofaj would have wilted against Thorpes D. 

Thorpes D wasn't even THAT good. There were tons of plays out there that just didn't get made. The entire Bombers team had a let down. They left a ton of plays on the field and came in with quite frankly subpar game plans. Just unacceptable all around. 

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Thorpes D wasn't even THAT good. There were tons of plays out there that just didn't get made. The entire Bombers team had a let down. They left a ton of plays on the field and came in with quite frankly subpar game plans. Just unacceptable all around. 

Played with the intensity of a Week 7 game in mid November.

Honestly never thought I’d see this out of a MOS team because even when he had a **** sandwich of a team on the field the guys always worked their bags off.

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Played with the intensity of a Week 7 game in mid November.

Honestly never thought I’d see this out of a MOS team because even when he had a **** sandwich of a team on the field the guys always worked their bags off.

Maybe it's a case of the players becoming frustrated by certain decisions. Just a thought...everything happens for a reason. 

Kolo, Grey, Biggie, Houston, BA can all go, or step into backup roles. 
Can’t keep both OT’s however it shakes out. 

Start Hallett at safety, make Lawson the rotation guy on the line and find a big fat American who can push the pocket to play next to Walker. 

Briggs, Cadwallader, Bennett, Exume, Thomas are all beyond useless. 

All the globals on the PR are useless. Let a million front seven prospects go so we can keep a Japanese lineman who will never see the field? 

The gimmick punter can hit the streets.  

Hall needs to retire. Boudreau can Bou-Go. 
Quit trying to play ST like there’s a 75 man roster. 

Re-stock the  PR with actual prospects and re-stock the gameday depth with  guys who can actually play offence or defence.

Count me in the trade Collaros group. I’ll always love him for 2019 but we can’t pay 600k for a fair-weather quarterback. 

Pay Brown half that and use the rest to fix the back half of the roster. 

Pay Walters whatever it takes to come back and put MOS on a short leash like they had to in 2016. 

Build around a core of Brown, Olivera, Lawler, Shoen, Eli, Dobson and Richmond on O.

Cole, the Jeff’s, Wilson. Nichols, Holm and Parker are my only must-keeps on D 

Give Grant another chance with better ST schemes but I’d tell him to keep his apartment back home too. They might have wrecked him trying to use him as a running back this summer. 

Build for a year under those circumstances and we have a great shot at 2025. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny