Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

1 minute ago, Booch said:

u move on from Bighill there is Schoen money right there

Maybe Biggie is getting paid more than I think he is, but I doubt it.

You give Cole (or someone) a bump to take the starting job and what are you saving? Not enough to triple Schoen's salary.

And that's besides the point of, is it a smart idea to invest 600k into two receivers?

Just now, Jesse said:

Maybe Biggie is getting paid more than I think he is, but I doubt it.

You give Cole (or someone) a bump to take the starting job and what are you saving? Not enough to triple Schoen's salary.

And that's besides the point of, is it a smart idea to invest 600k into two receivers?

There's up to a dozen guys I could see retiring.  Likely half of them will.  That's a ton of money you backfill almost all of them with rookies.  Cap goes up a little bit.

There's guys who won't be back but might play somewhere else who made some coin but don't have that value anymore (like a Rose, even a Bailey).

They'll have their core guys and slot in like any other team.  I think for next year some money will go from OL and D to skill positions as opposed to previous years, but that's because the core is shifting a bit.

1 minute ago, Nolby said:

I wonder if this game maybe has Biggie thinking about his future. I'd go to battle for him every day but you could tell he lost a slight step this year, and he'll be 36 next year.

Just like Harris before him, I imagine the Bombers are hoping he'll gracefully retire so no awkward convos need to be had. 

Just now, Nolby said:

I wonder if this game maybe has Biggie thinking about his future. I'd go to battle for him every day but you could tell he lost a slight step this year, and he'll be 36 next year.

yeah.....could be end of line for him....and no sense in blocking yhounger talent, cause no way he is gonna be the guy for the 2025 GC year here

Just now, Noeller said:

Sincere question that maybe doesn't mean anything in the big picture, but is this still a place potential FAs want to be?

Absolutely.  The majority of the rest of the league is ****.

Strong potential to get all the way and cash in on that.  Great market where you are a celebrity.  Chance to earn $$$ that way moreso than anywhere else not on the prairies.

Not a ton of American guys clamouring to get to the East.  Canadian guys different story most guys trying to get home.  Could lose Kramdi that way after spending the 3 years to make him a player just to see him go back to Montreal.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Sincere question that maybe doesn't mean anything in the big picture, but is this still a place potential FAs want to be?

of course it is, we're sitting here bitching that we've only won 2 grey cups in 4 straight appearances and have 3 straight first place in the west finishes. 

What we got here are first world problems. 

It might be BC or Toronto now that we've lost back to Back. Im sure our culture won't change, and it doesn't need to but they're becoming the shiny new toys now.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

There's up to a dozen guys I could see retiring.  Likely half of them will.  That's a ton of money you backfill almost all of them with rookies.  Cap goes up a little bit.

There's guys who won't be back but might play somewhere else who made some coin but don't have that value anymore (like a Rose, even a Bailey).

They'll have their core guys and slot in like any other team.  I think for next year some money will go from OL and D to skill positions as opposed to previous years, but that's because the core is shifting a bit.

It might be 50/50.

I can see a couple vets retiring, I can see them coming back. Biggie is the only guy who's age and play has me concerned, 

I'd like to see a real competition along the OL next year. There's our kids in the pipeline who are ready or they're not. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I know we are all charged up from that disappointing loss... but which guys do you think should get cut next season and which ones do you think the team actually will move on.  

I'm going to assume realistically that they won't cut Zach and won't cut Bighill. 

Houston?  Jeffcoat?  Punter?  

fucks-sake.gif

diego-bad-take.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

Just now, Nolby said:

It might be BC or Toronto now that we've lost back to Back. Im sure our culture won't change, and it doesn't need to but they're becoming the shiny new toys now.

Facilities and lifestyle because of it in both places is absolute **** for CFL players.

I mean if BC is offering 200k and Winnipeg is offering 160k....that's different.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

The only guy? really? Not Thomas as well? Alexander ain't what he once was. Could still be useful as a depth pieces but he's not the same guy he was a couple years ago. 

That's just the D. 

Yeah we have a pile of depth guys over 30 too who might want to move into their next chapter instead of training 12 months a year to play 8.

Neufeld, Bryant, Hardrick have been in the "one more year" phase for the last 3 basically.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

The only guy? really? Not Thomas as well? Alexander ain't what he once was. Could still be useful as a depth pieces but he's not the same guy he was a couple years ago. 

That's just the D. 

I just consider Thomas a guy, I think he's a part of the rotation at this point and, if he's back, isn't getting a number of snaps that's hurting us. IMO.

Alexander is not what he once was, but isn't causing me to lose sleep either. 

Yes, I always want competition. But I don't think this is a team that needs wholesale changes. I don't want to cut everyone over 30 just because we lost the last game of the season. 

I know Walters said you can't make wholesale changes but man it really feels like because they didn't make enough changes last year, they're forced to this offseason.

I feel like if someone said this to you pre-season, you'd give them the eye roll emoji.

14-4 and a Grey Cup appearance. Our stars did not rise to the occasion tonight. but we're one play away from winning. This is not a wholesale change kind of situation. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I know Walters said you can't make wholesale changes but man it really feels like because they didn't make enough changes last year, they're forced to this offseason.

Yeah big danger in waiting to NEED to make the changes too.

We were basically a mash unit the past couple years by November.

Like a Jeffcoat.  Great player once a month or so now.  West Final was his game this month.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

I feel like if someone said this to you pre-season, you'd give them the eye roll emoji.

14-4 and a Grey Cup appearance. Our stars did not rise to the occasion tonight. but we're one play away from winning. This is not a wholesale change kind of situation. 

have you looked at the average age of the team though? They avoided making changes this season to run it back, fine, but that means you gotta do more this offseason. Yes they still had succes and yes not everyone needs to go... but they gotta make some changes or they'll just keep getting older and older. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

basically we made none....If anything we had to replace Miller with a ridiculous option....and we upgraded Ellingson's spot...

Just now, 17to85 said:

have you looked at the average age of the team though? They avoided making changes this season to run it back, fine, but that means you gotta do more this offseason. Yes they still had succes and yes not everyone needs to go... but they gotta make some changes or they'll just keep getting older and older. 

Yes, they have to make some changes, but do you want to start a rebuild or reload?