Friday Night Football - Bombers at Leos: GDT

Noeller

interesting ELI goes before Dobson at guard....I wish they would run Eli at center and Dobson at guard and see how that shakes...can always plop Kolo back and shift Eli over if Dobson struggles...as Eli is a natural center

Just now, wbbfan said:

I’m surprised but happy it’s Eli. Brady is gonna love it even more. Big run game tnite. 

agree.....look forward to see him grade some holes

You would have liked to think we knew of potential Neuf not being able to go prior to the other days walkthrough at home .and yesterday's travel day and posting of the depth chart and have accommodated for the possibility....as in bring an extra body...a Canadian one...but...we cut our only viable one left... Burtenshaw a FB who could have took that roster spot...and even further so could have bumped Jackson and allowed another Dline man...or db as we have zero depth in either spot....but that would make sense...now we are a man short on roster...and still as thin at 2 key defensive positions...Neuf will dress just to satisfy the quota of Canadians needed but be of zero use...now if that's not an example of poor coaching/roster management I don't know what is...especially going into the most important game of season....flame away those who don't see it

18 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

On the radio they said Neufeld not dressing but still on the roster. Did we not take a single extra body that could go on? Not a great game to be down a body.

Just wondering if Betts picked on Neufeld in the earlier matches or if he really is injured, sounds like he'll dress anyway.

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Just wondering if Betts picked on Neufeld in the earlier matches or if he really is injured, sounds like he'll dress anyway.

if we didnt roster an additional player and we did that...that be even more of a epic coaching failure moreso than it is now as per my earlier post

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

interesting ELI goes before Dobson at guard....I wish they would run Eli at center and Dobson at guard and see how that shakes...can always plop Kolo back and shift Eli over if Dobson struggles...as Eli is a natural center

agree.....look forward to see him grade some holes

Haven't been impressed with Dobson in pass protection, he's only 6'-2" but weighs 315 lbs. about the same size as Kolankowski, maybe better suited to Center if he learns to snap the ball.  Kind of reminds me of Dominic Picard, another short stubby who also played Center.

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

if we didnt roster an additional player and we did that...that be even more of a epic coaching failure moreso than it is now as per my earlier post

Yeah, this is a fail on the part of the Bombers.

Neufeld isnt dressing tonight so they arent fielding a full roster.

Why not bring an extra guy to Vancouver in case this would happen? Looks like Tanner Schmekel is the only Canadian on the practice roster. You could have at least dressed him and sit him on the bench. He would have be available in case theres a dline injury.

2 hours ago, BomberBall said:

I’d like to see a few wrinkles in our coverages and not constantly give huge cushions, allowing VAJ to get comfortable connecting on a bunch of easy hook routes.

Lost in the fray of OL/DL talk is this.

Set the tone early that easy pitch and catch will not be on the menu tonight. 

15 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Yeah, this is a fail on the part of the Bombers.

Neufeld isnt dressing tonight so they arent fielding a full roster.

Why not bring an extra guy to Vancouver in case this would happen? Looks like Tanner Schmekel is the only Canadian on the practice roster. You could have at least dressed him and sit him on the bench. He would have be available in case theres a dline injury.

Neuf was listed as a GTD before we left....so they knew thre was a chance, and to not have prepared for it is such a fail and really un-called for...and sad we have zero options now to even address it...shows you how lousy our PR is and how we used it...only practical one we had was a guy we just cut....when we knew we could be short...unforgiveable if you ask me....

I'd rather go without a guy than have Schmeckle out there...as thats as much use he is worth...even last game we dressed him...why I dont know but I think he got 3 reps....Yet we sat Kelly who is great on ST's

Only thing I can think of that would've made sense is the club knew Neufeld was banged up/hurt, but thought he could push through it as a backup, then come gametime realized he shouldn't even dress based on severity. Even then though .... that's either poor planning, or pressing a guy into action before healthy - neither of which is a good look.

3 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Haven't been impressed with Dobson in pass protection, he's only 6'-2" but weighs 315 lbs. about the same size as Kolankowski, maybe better suited to Center if he learns to snap the ball.  Kind of reminds me of Dominic Picard, another short stubby who also played Center.

He’s good in pass pro at guard, but he isn’t a tackle. When he’s in as the 6th ol he shouldn’t be at te especially in pass pro. 
 He’s a guard, Eli a C. He can play c some. The second pre season game his snaps improved a lot. But Eli is a c through and through. 

Neuf out is a loss for sure. He's been one of the best, if not our best, OL this year. Glad to see Eli get some starting reps though. Just kinda wish it was for Kola or Gray, who I think have been slightly worse. 

I'm still hopeful but lately not too keen on Gray but he is still better than Dobson was in his first start. I've grown to be a Kola fan as I've glued my eyes to the OL this season and think he is much maligned on this board but I really don't feel like arguing tonight so I'll leave it at that. I am excited to see Eli in a pass pro situation. As has been pointed out before, he's mostly just been used to clobber people in a running situation and he has done well at it but seeing him defend stunts etc will be a nice litmus test before he sees reps at C, assuming he can read defenses and call out protection properly