Riders at Bombers -BANJO BOWL 2023 GTD-

Nolby

I think O’Shea’s record of being successful at challenges is pretty good, if TSN’s tracking is to be believed, and my memory of same is accurate. However, I would also say it is skewed because he is ultra cautious about throwing the flag in the first place, IMO way too much so. So he does well winning a challenge because he only goes after the obvious ones, unlike say a Dave Dickinson who throws out a flag almost whenever he can. O’Shea certainly could be more assertive when it comes to challenges, the feel for in-game situations and exploiting them is an area he is not the strongest in as a head coach, which is odd because as a special teams coach in Toronto he had a knack for almost always knowing exactly when to throw in a fake play and take advantage of a game situation, which he did frequently. 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I think O’Shea’s record of being successful at challenges is pretty good, if TSN’s tracking is to be believed, and my memory of same is accurate. However, I would also say it is skewed because he is ultra cautious about throwing the flag in the first place, IMO way too much so. So he does well winning a challenge because he only goes after the obvious ones, unlike say a Dave Dickinson who throws out a flag almost whenever he can. O’Shea certainly could be more assertive when it comes to challenges, the feel for in-game situations and exploiting them is an area he is not the strongest in as a head coach, which is odd because as a special teams coach in Toronto he had a knack for almost always knowing exactly when to throw in a fake play and take advantage of a game situation, which he did frequently. 

He is really tentative, though that just costs us when it doesn’t get used. 
 He had a pretty good streak of losing them for a while. 

23 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Tbh i have no issue with him being cautious throwing a challenge flag. Missing out on an opportunity in the 1st half vs the 4th quarter is a big difference. Dave Dickenson is too aggressive with it... People seem to forget the downsides of losing a challenge (no more rest of the game, loss of a timeout)

I don’t think it’s too big a deal either way you use it. The CC is no where near reliable enough for it to matter. 

I’ll say too I don’t care for the punitive and limited nature of challenges today. The problem earlier on was 1 the CC was slow as hell, 2 they had ticky tack pi rules so people used it as a Hail Mary and 3 they had too much change with it and rules all in a short time. No slow mo, not wanting to make the field crew look bad so making it harder to over turn, plus a lot of rule changes. 
 I’d rather they get calls right and speed things up else where. 

11 minutes ago, retro said:

This was the most satisfying bomber win for me since the 2019 Grey Cup game.  Complete domination, never in doubt, and it especially helps that it was against the Riders.  Having been to LDC when we lost 52-0, the 55-10 Banjo bowl, this victory was sweet.

I agree. From start to finish it was probably the most dominant victory of the past few years and that is including our complete domination of BC earlier this year. One thing about this year's team is that when they are rolling they are unstoppable. We haven't been nearly consistent enough this year but I truly believe this year's team has the most ability to dominate on any given Sunday, than of any team in the MOS/Walters era....and that is saying something.

Yes the D has been pretty consistent the last little while but this offense had the most high end pieces they've had in  long while and when they are in the zone they can straight up embarrass a team.  Seriously the worst starting receiver is wolitarsky and he's a good ******* receiver who could put up bigger numbers in a place where he wasn't behind 4 other guys. 

On Osh's reluctance to throw the challenge flag....There seems to be a lot of dithering and confusion when we're discussing whether to challenge or not...Gives the other club time to set up quick and run a quick play,  negating our attempt at another look at the infraction....We need to have a guy go down with a cramp or something to stall things.....you know like every other team pulls off.....Maybe Osh thinks that's beneath the way we operate ...I say you take advantage of everything you can in this game....all the other clubs do

Edited by Stickem

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

On Osh's reluctance to throw the challenge flag....There seems to be a lot of dithering and confusion when we're discussing whether to challenge or not...Gives the other club time to set up quick and run a quick play,  negating our attempt at another look at the infraction....We need to have a guy do down with a cramp or something to stall things.....you know like every other teams pulls off.....Maybe Osh thinks that's beneath the way we opperate ...I say you take advantage of everything you can in this game....all the other clubs do

YEAH....Like the Nationalized American rule....which we don't for no particular reason, and certainly not a reason that makes us better thats for sure...Just imagine where/what we could be if we tweaked a few minor things

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

YEAH....Like the Nationalized American rule....which we don't for no particular reason, and certainly not a reason that makes us better thats for sure...Just imagine where/what we could be if we tweaked a few minor things

First in the West? Oh wait...Jk,,,Booch....we may have gotten an extra win.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Yes the D has been pretty consistent the last little while but this offense had the most high end pieces they've had in  long while and when they are in the zone they can straight up embarrass a team.  Seriously the worst starting receiver is wolitarsky and he's a good ******* receiver who could put up bigger numbers in a place where he wasn't behind 4 other guys. 

The receiving core is legitimately insane. On any other team Lawler and Schoen are #1 receivers, but they share the job in Winnipeg. Demski probably too. It’s an embarrassment of riches. Best QB, best RB, absolutely insane. 

Edited by greenrider55

33 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Not if you're competing with yourself.

All in good fun. I'm just enjoying this while it lasts.

For example, I do believe in particular the Argo's and Riders suck a**

Lets make this three out of the last four GC's please and thank you.

Riders will suck for a while...it's not a 1 or 2 player fix there....and they still have that GM and coaching staff.....basically I'm sure they will turn up the suck some more before it gets better there