Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Honestly if you're not voting yoshi (and lord knows he deserves this recognition) I think Neufeld was the actual choice. To my untrained eye he has been the most steady this year.  And I say that as someone who believes he is replaceable. 

I think it’s a pick ‘em between yoshi neuf and Bryant and that none of the 3 should win. 

https://www.sootoday.com/national-sports/i-owe-everything-to-her-bombers-brady-oliveira-credits-success-to-mom-shani-7790920

How can anyone not just cheer and love this RB we have....amazing young man....hopefully he retires in Blue and Gold with a buttload of team records

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

https://www.sootoday.com/national-sports/i-owe-everything-to-her-bombers-brady-oliveira-credits-success-to-mom-shani-7790920

How can anyone not just cheer and love this RB we have....amazing young man....hopefully he retires in Blue and Gold with a buttload of team records

I'm a dog guy and the work he does for these down (but not out) furry pals amazes me.....This guy is a true winner in every sense of the word

25 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I'm a dog guy and the work he does for these down (but not out) furry pals amazes me.....This guy is a true winner in every sense of the word

I personally think this is just the greatest thing... His dog rescuing.... But it's interesting, I have some indigenous friends from the Grand Rapids area who are vehemently opposed to it. Believe the dogs are best left in their natural state, as wolves, hunting outdoors. That these so called rescue efforts are more akin to stealing or kidnapping. I've never looked at it that way, but it's an opinion that's out there apparently.

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I personally think this is just the greatest thing... His dog rescuing.... But it's interesting, I have some indigenous friends from the Grand Rapids area who are vehemently opposed to it. Believe the dogs are best left in their natural state, as wolves, hunting outdoors. That these so called rescue efforts are more akin to stealing or kidnapping. I've never looked at it that way, but it's an opinion that's out there apparently.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/dogs-shot-manitoba-first-nations-1.3408167

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Grand Rapids is definitely the exception to that rule in the native community then. Dog attacks by stray dogs are a very real concern on pretty much every reserve I know of, or have lived. Band constables have dog days where they drive around shooting them for public safety. There is nearly no objection to it that I know of. I am sure a great deal of reserves would welcome these dogs being rescued.

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

yeah....indigenous peoples are always close to nature and have a different slant on things....I think the cases that Brady focuses on are the neglected ones....pups and older dogs .....living under porches with little to eat and tied to abandoned fridges without proper shelter....Those types of scenarios tear the heart out of you if you're any kind of pooch lover....I hope Brady keeps it up

Just now, Stickem said:

yeah....indigenous peoples are always close to nature and have a different slant on things....I think the cases that Brady focuses on are the neglected ones....pups and older dogs .....living under porches with little to eat and tied to abandoned fridges without proper shelter....Those types of scenarios tear the heart out of you if you're any kind of pooch lover....I hope Brady keeps it up

Me too. I have never met any native from a reserve with an objection to that. Stray/feral dogs are a very real public safety concern on most reserves.

58 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Thats a new one to me. I've heard of those dogs creating packs and causing havoc in communities which is when the shooting starts. Dogs can't go back to wolves....that's just not how it goes.

58 minutes ago, Noeller said:

again, just something I heard from an indigenous musician in Manitoba that I'm friendly with. I was as surprised as you all to hear that take....

It sounds more like a rationalization for doing nothing and I doubt it's representative of even that community.  Used to work up north and had to drive by the dump in Island Lake every day on our way back to camp.  We arrived a day after dog day.  

At least the ravens were happy.

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

I believe they have to be surrendered or requested when he’s in the area. I don’t think he’s going on private property un solicited and caging peoples neglected dogs. 

35 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Pigs go back to wild boars, in a couple of generations. Most (if not all) North American wild boars, are descended from escaped domesticated pigs

to be fair domesticated for farming meat and domesticated into a household pet is a huge difference. Add in that dogs have been domesticated as companions back 14-35k bce, and you have a very different situation. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

o be fair domesticated for farming meat and domesticated into a household pet is a huge difference. Add in that dogs have been domesticated as companions back 14-35k bce, and you have a very different situation. 

No, there is not that big of a difference. It's less likely but at all impossible. Sorry, do not want derail this thread.