Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

19 hours ago, Jesse said:

Well, given that Toronto game, we'll see if he has made a real difference or if it was just a brief blip after a coaching change as we've seen many times before. 

Yep...most new OCs get the dead cat bounce simply because no one is sure what they are doing yet. Once the film piles up, that's when the rubber hit the road for them.

20 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yep...most new OCs get the dead cat bounce simply because no one is sure what they are doing yet. Once the film piles up, that's when the rubber hit the road for them.

True, though he is a very talented oc. If any thing. I think they have out performed the talent they have on o. 
 This might be part of why Kelly is sitting for the Argos. They don’t want to give our Defense a free game worth of film vs us. 
 One game of your own film against a guy you prepared for and played is worth 10 games of other teams playing that guy. As it sits if we meet tor in the gc, which is the most likely out come, we will have only played him in his few reps in last years gc. 
 We will have what 10-12 meaningful games worth of film at best and most of those will be him $&@! Kicking bottom and mid tier teams. 

On 2023-09-29 at 8:10 AM, wbbfan said:

True, though he is a very talented oc. If any thing. I think they have out performed the talent they have on o. 
 This might be part of why Kelly is sitting for the Argos. They don’t want to give our Defense a free game worth of film vs us. 
 One game of your own film against a guy you prepared for and played is worth 10 games of other teams playing that guy. As it sits if we meet tor in the gc, which is the most likely out come, we will have only played him in his few reps in last years gc. 
 We will have what 10-12 meaningful games worth of film at best and most of those will be him $&@! Kicking bottom and mid tier teams. 

One thing about Richie Hall is that he is an exceptional cold weather coordinator. Part of that is offences simply can't do what they want that time of year. You gotta go back to fundamental football and that's when film study loses some of its importance and a good D game plan that focuses on what offences will have available to them becomes the trump card. No one knows that better than Hall.

Edited by GCn20

29 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

One thing about Richie Hall is that he is an exceptional cold weather coordinator. Part of that is offences simply can't do what they want that time of year. You gotta go back to fundamental football and that's when film study loses some of its importance and a good D game plan that focuses on what offences will have available to them becomes the trump card. No one knows that better than Hall.

That's why we need first place. BC place is warm and cozy. 

The strange thing about Hall’s defences is that the “bend don’t break” almost seems like he is playing soft coverage just to see what the offence is doing for one half, then makes second half adjustments to more aggressiveness. Not sure why it takes a half to get in synch so often this year. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The strange thing about Hall’s defences is that the “bend don’t break” almost seems like he is playing soft coverage just to see what the offence is doing for one half, then makes second half adjustments to more aggressiveness. Not sure why it takes a half to get in synch so often this year. 

Spotting the other team 14 points seems to be his strategy lately

26 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I don't think it's intentional so much as Hall is just pretty good at adjusting to what's going on usually. Like after the first few series they really did give up less to the argos. 

48 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't think it's intentional so much as Hall is just pretty good at adjusting to what's going on usually. Like after the first few series they really did give up less to the argos. 

Ouellette is the Argos wild card and they know it, hopefully Hall knows it too.  It will be up to the LB's to prevent him from running wild through the secondary, Bighill needs to stay close to home and BA needs to go for the tackle over the hit.  

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

That's why we need first place. BC place is warm and cozy. 

First place would help big time.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Rotating personnel had a lot to do with it through the first few games, and lack of game film against new QBs has hurt us. We are not loaded with 20 year old speedster on our team. What makes our D really good is that they are veteran laden and rarely get tricked or caught out of position. Vet teams are more reliant on game film to make sure they are in the right position.

44 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Ouellette is the Argos wild card and they know it, hopefully Hall knows it too.  It will be up to the LB's to prevent him from running wild through the secondary, Bighill needs to stay close to home and BA needs to go for the tackle over the hit.  

Ouellette will be a big challenge for sure.

2 hours ago, BBlink said:

Spotting the other team 14 points seems to be his strategy lately

Yea..we need to stop that but they have been pretty stingy in 2nd halves of games.

On 2023-09-29 at 7:10 AM, wbbfan said:

After 14 games, teams have all the video they need to prepare on Kelly. I think that this strategy by Dinwiddie won't make a bit of difference the nect time we play them. AND WE WILL PLAY THEM AGAIN. 

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

After 14 games, teams have all the video they need to prepare on Kelly. I think that this strategy by Dinwiddie won't make a bit of difference the nect time we play them. AND WE WILL PLAY THEM AGAIN. 

Like I said, film vs your d is worth 10x film ve other ds. 
 Remember how effective fajardo was his first year in ssk? Don’t forget in the mid 90s it took 2 years for nfl teams to figure out Rick mirer. And he was only running 6 plays. 
 We’ve seen countless times that the first time a start up qb plays our D they perform way better than the 2nd time and on. 
Dane evans first start vs us in 19 he put up 359 yards 3 tds 1 pick. 

yeah film only shows so much....actually play time and how a player reacts, and what his tendencies he reveals vs certain things are invaluable....My opinion is Dimwiddie should have started Kelly to see what occurred during first 2..3 drives, then parked him if he felt that was the prudent thing to do...could be critical moments now in a big game of not getting behind the 8 ball right out of the gate....guess we will see if we both make it to the Cup

I feel if we secure first there is a 99% chance we get there...we don't...50-50 at best....and have this gut feeling that the Argo's gonna get bounced in the EF....

Just now, Booch said:

yeah film only shows so much....actually play time and how a player reacts, and what his tendencies he reveals vs certain things are invaluable....My opinion is Dimwiddie should have started Kelly to see what occurred during first 2..3 drives, then parked him if he felt that was the prudent thing to do...could be critical moments now in a big game of not getting behind the 8 ball right out of the gate....guess we will see if we both make it to the Cup

I feel if we secure first there is a 99% chance we get there...we don't...50-50 at best....and have this gut feeling that the Argo's gonna get bounced in the EF....

I’d be starting the first team every game save the last. Guys would play a quarter to a half depending on how things are going then the back ups would play. I think it’s foolish to give back ups entire games with soo many weeks to go till the division final. 
 If the Argos keep their foot off the gas I can totally see that. Only thing is that defense at 100% could possibly carry them to a win single handedly over any one in the east. But if they get rusty or out of shape boy it’ll be upset city. 

I actually think it’ll be good for us not to have too cushy a finish to the regular season. Keep guys playing meaningful games for as long as possible. We still have a lot to work out. 

22 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I’d be starting the first team every game save the last. Guys would play a quarter to a half depending on how things are going then the back ups would play. I think it’s foolish to give back ups entire games with soo many weeks to go till the division final. 
 If the Argos keep their foot off the gas I can totally see that. Only thing is that defense at 100% could possibly carry them to a win single handedly over any one in the east. But if they get rusty or out of shape boy it’ll be upset city. 

I actually think it’ll be good for us not to have too cushy a finish to the regular season. Keep guys playing meaningful games for as long as possible. We still have a lot to work out. 

yup....a wise HC would be doing the same. The rest vs play thing is way overblown and unnecessary and any player will tell you so ....outside of a media scrum as to not look like undermining the HC....Players hate it...if you are gonna gethurt...you are gonna get hurt.....nature of the beast

With T.O defence tho....if a team attacks them in a different way as been par for course for most part....they may get too behind in a critical game to make it up...They are good, but also not that good....

19 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

If they want to stop Ouellette, they’ve got to figure out a way to get a bigger body like Fox in the middle.

I’d also play Bighill closer to the LOS, and consider moving BA or Wilson to dime in some packages. 

11 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

If they want to stop Ouellette, they’ve got to figure out a way to get a bigger body like Fox in the middle.

I’d also play Bighill closer to the LOS, and consider moving BA or Wilson to dime in some packages. 

in play-offs...to mitigate runs...and keep dline fresh and active on all the snaps...u need 7 "quality" dlineman minimum...facts....thats just the facts

1 hour ago, Booch said:

in play-offs...to mitigate runs...and keep dline fresh and active on all the snaps...u need 7 "quality" dlineman minimum...facts....thats just the facts

AND I hope this takes place in these last few games.....we need to start playing the team we are going to send to the Cup

2 minutes ago, Stickem said:

AND I hope this takes place in these last few games.....we need to start playing the team we are going to send to the Cup

and correcting the things that don't work...or aren't working and stop forcing it when multiple things we do work just fine....better than fine actually