Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

If you go back and watch any of the yearly off season summary videos from walters you’ll see this reiterated in every one. 
we went over the cap with the mid season moves, that’s why our over all amount over was low. 
Again that’s budgeted for. No team is spending to the cap at the start of the year. 

the one game is relatively meaningless as I said in another post. With the ability to retroactively swap 1 game to 6 game and remove guys early from 6 game. But yes if a guy misses less than 6 we don’t get savings. 

You cannot retroactively put a guy who was on the 1 game IR for say 5 games onto the 6 game for one and get SMS relief. CAN'T BE DONE. You can take a guy off early on the 6 game but all the games he missed become countable to the SMS except for one player each half of the season. 

The one game and 6 game have very different rules on what players are allowed to do in terms of team engagement.  1 game IR players can still be involved in practice and team meetings. 6 game IR players cannot. Therefore, you absolutely cannot retro swap guys from the 1 game to the 6 game otherwise absolutely no one would ever be on the 6 game until they missed 5 consecutive games. If you take a guy who was on the 1 game and then put him on the 6 game, he starts at game 1 of time missed for 6 game purposes.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The CFL SMS is purely an addition problem.  There’s no offsets or LTIR allowances.  At the end of the year they add the salaries and bonuses paid for each game.  Active roster and 1 game.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

And practice roster and any bonuses paid out.

Yep. Every dollar paid to a player, ANY player is added up. If you have a string of injuries those dollars go up because you are paying more game cheques, if a player misses 6 consecutive games and the player was placed on the 6 game that portion of any remaining game cheques he would have gotten is exempt from the add up. Pretty simple. For every game we pay a minimum of 46 game cheques + injured players game cheques. Some of the injured player cheques may end up exempt if they are long term injuries and the team has placed them on the 6 game IR. 

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

You cannot retroactively put a guy who was on the 1 game IR for say 5 games onto the 6 game for one and get SMS relief. CAN'T BE DONE. You can take a guy off early on the 6 game but all the games he missed become countable to the SMS except for one player each half of the season. 

The one game and 6 game have very different rules on what players are allowed to do in terms of team engagement.  1 game IR players can still be involved in practice and team meetings. 6 game IR players cannot. Therefore, you absolutely cannot retro swap guys from the 1 game to the 6 game otherwise absolutely no one would ever be on the 6 game until they missed 5 consecutive games. If you take a guy who was on the 1 game and then put him on the 6 game, he starts at game 1 of time missed for 6 game purposes.

You can go back and switch a guy from the 1 game to the 6. And you have been able to for atleast a year or two. The 6 game rules used to be very strict but that is no longer the case. 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

would be sick if they sold out the final 2 reg season games (unlikely as the temps change) and you know the home playoff game will probably sell out. Huge for the bottom line...

Toronto will for sure be a sell out. Edmonton on Oct 21.......yeah no.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

52 minutes ago, Noeller said:

still pretty good... that'd be 3 sell outs this year? And then if we can sell out the home playoff game... that's a huge boost for the club. Love to see it. 

3 dsell outs and what...6 over 30k?.....cold weather here doesn't deter the fanbase....if we rolling I can see that final game close if not sold out

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

would be sick if they sold out the final 2 reg season games (unlikely as the temps change) and you know the home playoff game will probably sell out. Huge for the bottom line...

I feel like we have to be crushing last years numbers. We had a couple of duds last year due to weather and this year, the late season Argo game will provide a boost. 

9 hours ago, Booch said:

yeah we need more a move toward some the ST guys being of the ilk that they could start...like legitimate start quality...not this reward system, and mindset that all the guys are #1's....yeah sure looks good in sound bites, and in the paper, but it is hardly accurate

I can see WJ still being a big part of 2025....mayyybe Jeffcoat if he stays healthy, and why not when guys like Lemon...M. Johnson, Laurent, Hughes were still impactful in the 34 to 36 age range, but the successors need to be in-house now....next yr at latest getting reps and developing...Haba from the first looks we got seems legit, and a free agent pick up could also be part of it... (Kongbo and Bennett) for the ratio aspect

Biggie I can see possibly only around  as a part time role player, and leader...not the starter, and likely at a reduced salary too....but his presence on ST and as a bit player will be invaluable in a Grey Cup Run, but in 2025 he will be turning 37 so he could be phased out that yr

I’m just going to focus on the rest of 2023 before worrying too much about 2025. I suspect Miller, Walters, and O’Shea are taking the same approach. 

7 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I’m just going to focus on the rest of 2023 before worrying too much about 2025. I suspect Miller, Walters, and O’Shea are taking the same approach. 

That's two seasons away. I'm only interested in this season. The day after our Grey Cup win I'll start concerning myself with 2024.

15 hours ago, Booch said:

Yeah I believe in the 2nd week u can flip a 1 game injured guy over...without restarting the 6 game process 

Not according to the CFL rule book. You could always take a guy off the 1 game IR and put him onto the 6 game but he starts at game 1. There are vastly different rules for what a player can do, and can't do, when on the 1 game and the 6 game IRs.

16 hours ago, wbbfan said:

You can go back and switch a guy from the 1 game to the 6. And you have been able to for atleast a year or two. The 6 game rules used to be very strict but that is no longer the case. 

Not according to the CFL rule book. Look it up. According to the rule book, you can switch a guy from 1 game IR to 6 game but definitely NOT retroactively. A player on the 6 game cannot attend anything team related other than rehab for his injury. Players on the 1 game IR are free to partake in any team activity. That is the difference and it's a HUGE one that absolutely prevents teams from retroactively 6 gaming injured players. The CFL rule book and the CBA spell this out very clearly. If I am mistaken, so is the CFL rule book and the CBA.

Edited by GCn20

41 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Not according to the CFL rule book. You could always take a guy off the 1 game IR and put him onto the 6 game but he starts at game 1. There are vastly different rules for what a player can do, and can't do, when on the 1 game and the 6 game IRs.

Not according to the CFL rule book. Look it up. According to the rule book, you can switch a guy from 1 game IR to 6 game but definitely NOT retroactively. A player on the 6 game cannot attend anything team related other than rehab for his injury. Players on the 1 game IR are free to partake in any team activity. That is the difference and it's a HUGE one that absolutely prevents teams from retroactively 6 gaming injured players. The CFL rule book and the CBA spell this out very clearly. If I am mistaken, so is the CFL rule book and the CBA.

to much ambiguity and grey areas with the CFL rule book and how things are handled...any rules plucked off the internet almost makes me wonder if not entirely accurate anymore, or even 100 percent adhered to...cause I know for certainty you could flip a guy over retro-active...within a timeframe..1..2..games....just the same as the other squabble we had about contracts....standard entry contract says one thing....but was confirmed otherwise that BC could have re-did yr 3 of Rourkes deal for legit money....even tho argued here incessantly as otherwise

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

to much ambiguity and grey areas with the CFL rule book and how things are handled...any rules plucked off the internet almost makes me wonder if not entirely accurate anymore, or even 100 percent adhered to...cause I know for certainty you could flip a guy over retro-active...within a timeframe..1..2..games....just the same as the other squabble we had about contracts....standard entry contract says one thing....but was confirmed otherwise that BC could have re-did yr 3 of Rourkes deal for legit money....even tho argued here incessantly as otherwise

You can switch a guy from 1 game to 6 game...always could. What you cannot do is count games that the player served on the 1 game IR as part of his 6 game stint. Never could, never will be able to do so. Not after 1 game or 2 games. Not sure where you got the info that you could? Has never happened before, there is no precedent for it. That is the whole reason they have two injury lists for cripes sakes. You can discount the rule book and the CBA if you wish, but find me one player that was switched from 1 game IR to 6 game IR and had those games count for SMS purposes. You won't find one, because it has never happened. You begin the 6 games of your 6 game IR AFTER, and only after, you are served you papers as a player placing you on the 6 game. That is when you are quite literally banished from the team for anything but rehab.

Edited by GCn20

16 hours ago, Booch said:

3 dsell outs and what...6 over 30k?.....cold weather here doesn't deter the fanbase....if we rolling I can see that final game close if not sold out

Attendance picks up in the fall here, and unless it is really freaking bad weather the stands will be near capacity.

17 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Toronto will for sure be a sell out. Edmonton on Oct 21.......yeah no.

Sell out? Yea doubtful for Edmonton. 30k probable tho.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Attendance picks up in the fall here, and unless it is really freaking bad weather the stands will be near capacity.

Sell out? Yea doubtful for Edmonton. 30k probable tho.

I don’t know about probable. It may be a sitting starters kind of game. 

Saturday evening game tho. So conditions will be good. Just not an on field draw.

we really shouldnt be sitting anyone save for giving ZC very limited reps if we have the WF locked up....we will have a break that following week anyway, so you just keep the momentum and continuity rolling....putting in your scrubs can also be a injury waiting to happen to a starter based on poor execution possibly happening with the back-ups....as they are back-ups for a reason, and this yr even more so than past yrs

I'm glad we've locked up a home playoff game at least.  Still hoping it's the west final. The last couple years' home playoff games have been such incredible experiences. We've been getting spoiled with 3 straight home playoff games but don't forget prior to 2021 our last home playoff game was in 2011 (the Chris Garrett game). A full decade between games and now we get 3 in a row. You just can't beat playoff football at home in the hostile cold.