CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

They may be genius but timely they are not. 

Until our D gets healthy expect to see our game be the most entertaining game of the week, every week lol. 

haha...yup.....I just cant wait to see the options...and the use of who we could have available once Muhamed gets up to speed...Wilson and Hansen are back...Rose and Parker and Jeffcoat are healthy....Lawson in for Shmeckle, and Jake being allowed to have his reps dialed back a bit and keep him more fresh....toss in Lawler return and having the GOAT Miller back....good lord...we should almost be un-beatable if we dont sustain any other catastrophic injuries

1 hour ago, Fatty Liver said:

Fox is goode, depth at DT solved once Lawson returns, even Schmeckle contributed good push in collapsing pockets against the Riders.  One good DE away from D-line returning to ferocious with or without Jeffcoat in the lineup, widespread panic abated, all hale Walters, he did it again.

Personally I think when Lawson is back we keep fox as the dt and use walker at end and dt. He’s a load off the edge. Once Hansen jeffcoat and Lawson are all healthy then we have some decisions. But it’s a good spot to be in. 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

haha...yup.....I just cant wait to see the options...and the use of who we could have available once Muhamed gets up to speed...Wilson and Hansen are back...Rose and Parker and Jeffcoat are healthy....Lawson in for Shmeckle, and Jake being allowed to have his reps dialed back a bit and keep him more fresh....toss in Lawler return and having the GOAT Miller back....good lord...we should almost be un-beatable if we dont sustain any other catastrophic injuries

I just don't see how our offence doesn't produce 25-30 pts per game, and I don't see our defence giving up more than 20-25 on more than a few occasions. Not sure how any team beats us without significant help from us. We play clean football we will have about the same record as last year and only because we give a couple wins away to rest guys.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Walters has to be the number one free agent going into the 2024 season. It sure would be nice to hear of an extension soon. 

He will be extended. The Canadian Mafia ain't going anywhere.

53 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I just don't see how our offence doesn't produce 25-30 pts per game, and I don't see our defence giving up more than 20-25 on more than a few occasions. Not sure how any team beats us without significant help from us. We play clean football we will have about the same record as last year and only because we give a couple wins away to rest guys.

He will be extended. The Canadian Mafia ain't going anywhere.

Yeah I think this will be the highest scoring offense in bomber history. That said until our defence is healthy and sorted we probably need to score 35+ on avg. once they are healthy and sorted I imagine they’ll give up 20 or less. 
 This team is going to be a good bit better than last years. 

I sure hope so. I got a bad feeling they are going to be stuck between mos and walters. Also Ted goveia is going to be a hot commodity each off season. 
 Maybe wade retires as has been hinted to and walters takes his job with more hands on with the football side while Ted takes gm. 

Personally I think McManus is the most secure in his role. The flexibility he gets isn’t gonna come easy from any one. 

I also think JY is going to be a big dc candidate one of these days. 

Of all mentioned....Walters prob would be the least of a hit to lose...that being said, I doubt we lose anyone....coaches know when they have it good, and have security....why leave that when you don't have to.

The players we bring in are basically from the scouting staff, and their network/connections, not so much from Walters bird dogging them....He works the salary part of it, and makes the SMS work, but we have a pretty good blueprint now, and some solid yrs to refer to, on how we have managed the cap, and the way we have been navigating it to not hamstring ourselves. It's not some utra secretive thing only Walters knows, so in that regard we will be fine.

Factor in that with the core we have, and the continued culture here, we have that ace in the hole we won't have to break bank to get guys here, and or keep guys here...as history the last 3-5 years has shown

21 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah I think this will be the highest scoring offense in bomber history. That said until our defence is healthy and sorted we probably need to score 35+ on avg. once they are healthy and sorted I imagine they’ll give up 20 or less. 
 This team is going to be a good bit better than last years. 

I sure hope so. I got a bad feeling they are going to be stuck between mos and walters. Also Ted goveia is going to be a hot commodity each off season. 
 Maybe wade retires as has been hinted to and walters takes his job with more hands on with the football side while Ted takes gm. 

Personally I think McManus is the most secure in his role. The flexibility he gets isn’t gonna come easy from any one. 

I also think JY is going to be a big dc candidate one of these days. 

I keep seeing this being said - but it falls under the same paranoia that we get every time MOS is coming o to the end of his contract. 

There is nothing that has ever shown that Walters wants to leave or that the Bombers want him gone. 

Walters is the best GM in the league and would be a BRUTAL loss. My hope has always been that Miller knows the Coaching/Management SMS is ending soon, and he'll be able to give Walters a proper bump and not be handcuffed by the cap. Either way, really hoping and praying for another 3 year extension for KW! 

43 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I keep seeing this being said - but it falls under the same paranoia that we get every time MOS is coming o to the end of his contract. 

There is nothing that has ever shown that Walters wants to leave or that the Bombers want him gone. 

The fact he’s not resigned and in the off season I believe they said they haven’t had talks. The cap is the issue. It’s really tight to run all of football management. Thanks Chris jones. 

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

I could see Walters taking over for Miller more than him walking away. 

I think The Trinity sticks together through the '25 GC. They desperately want to win one at home (especially Kingpin Miller) and then after that, I could see Miller stepping down and someone else taking his spot. But, as has been discussed a few times around here, not sure Walters wants that gig, particularly. He's a football guy more than a business management type.

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The fact he’s not resigned and in the off season I believe they said they haven’t had talks. The cap is the issue. It’s really tight to run all of football management. Thanks Chris jones. 

Same thing was being said about MOS.

https://3downnation.com/2023/06/20/gizmo-williams-janarion-grants-punt-return-td-was-great-but-not-best-ever/

idk giz had more missed tackles imo. Grant was stiff arming guys into the ground. 

5 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Same thing was being said about MOS.

That happens when your franchise corner stones go to free agency. Same would happen if collaros went to fa. 

Edited by wbbfan

That Gizmo one is good. But Grants was better imo. IMO Grant had to do a lot more work. In the article Gizmo talks about how the other team didn't tackle well...but in that video of his return, he literally went right into like 2 guys arms lol. He just ran straight ahead and guys missed him/didn't wrap up. Grant made more guys miss and broke tackles with stiff arms AND had to run sideline to sideline AND had to make a guy miss near the end of the run. It's actually not only my opinion that Grant's was better....it's fact.

Edited by Bigblue204

I'm confused as to why this guy was available... did the Lions just straight up cut him? 

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have signed Canadian offensive lineman Noah Zerr.

The 24-year-old was a second-round pick in the 2022 CFL Draft out of the University of Saskatchewan. He played four games for the Lions last season, though he spent most of the season on the one-game injured list as a healthy scratch.

The six-foot-seven, 315-pound native of Langenburg, Sask. was a first-team U Sports All-Canadian in 2021 and was voted the Huskies’ top lineman that year.

Hamilton is currently experiencing injury problems along the offensive line. Chris Van Zeyl, Kyle Saxelid, and Alex Fontana — three veteran Canadians — are already on the six-game injured list, while starter Coulter Woodmansey left the club’s 32-14 victory over the Toronto Argonauts. His status for next week’s home-opener against the Montreal Alouettes remains unclear.