Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

14 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Kickers might have done something near the end of practice after we left...but up until that point they were just lounging around..or helping out with setting up drills for other positions. One thing I noted is that our veteran kickers are noticeably smaller than the new guys. I was hoping to get to see them in action

I noticed the size of the rookie kickers as well. They're all pretty built. They didn't do any kicking at the end or after practice. They would have done it beforehand. Funny that the new kickers have to wear blues jerseys due to the number of bodies in camp.(they are doubling up jersey numbers for a lot of the players)

Wilson was at practice but there was no sign of Hansen.

My early money on American Rb is Jordan Salima. He has nice size and seems to have good speed.

Edited by WinnipegGordo

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Kyrie back on the 6 game right away is concerning. Hansen too. Hope fully they will be ready early to mid camp. 
Adding yet another punter is an odd one. 

Could just be what is required to keep a couple more bodies in camp right now. I believe they can take guys off the 6 game as many times as they want. 

Earn your stripes

Winnipeg has made a subtle change to their helmets this season as they have permanently moved to the triple-stripe look introduced as part of their alternative uniforms in 2022. The club previously had a single blue stripe on their helmets but will now have three: a white centre stripe flanked by blue stripes on either side.

9 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Earn your stripes

Winnipeg has made a subtle change to their helmets this season as they have permanently moved to the triple-stripe look introduced as part of their alternative uniforms in 2022. The club previously had a single blue stripe on their helmets but will now have three: a white centre stripe flanked by blue stripes on either side.

Love this look 

2 hours ago, BBlink said:

Just got back from practice. Got there a little late, left a little early. Thought I'd write up some notes with the obvious disclaimer that I have no idea what I'm talking about. But people are hungry for Bomber stuff. So here goes.

• Evan Holm and Dalton Schoen are working their butts off out there. Nice to see.
  • Holm both looks extremely athletic and technically sound. He made a play on the ball most times he lined up
  • Brian Cole and DeJuan Cooper stand out as guys who have a physical presence but also move really well
  • Brian Cole had an interception in skeleton
  • Demski made Darby look like a pylon on one play in the one-on-ones
  • Schoen works hard every play and catches the ball every play. Lawler makes things look easy.
  • Early on it looked like Collaros was trying to work on his timing with Lawler. Nichols jumped a route and nearly picked off the pass but dropped it and I *think* Lawler ended up with it as he was lying on the ground
  • Winston Rose matched up against Lawler a couple times. I think one time Lawler fell down and Rose got the pick. Another time Lawler backed Rose off about 10 yards and was wide open.
  • One guy that really stands out because of his diminutive stature is #22 Dominick Fiscelli. Caught a bunch of balls in skelly in the middle of the field. 5'9" but is obviously pretty quick.
  • Jake Kelly (canadian DB) ran pretty good with Schoen one time
  • Kickers might have done something near the end of practice after we left...but up until that point they were just lounging around..or helping out with setting up drills for other positions. One thing I noted is that our veteran kickers are noticeably smaller than the new guys. I was hoping to get to see them in action

Thanks for this. Gold. 

27 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Earn your stripes

Meh.... 

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Anyone else wondering if the Bombers would ever consider  running a six-pack receiving set any time this year? And who among Wolitarsky, Bailey, Agudosi, BOLO. Grant, or even McCrae, Augustine, or Oliviera would still not get in the last 3 spots in the top 6 formation?

There's no benefit to running 6 receivers unless you have a QB who you want running, and who is a running threat.

Otherwise you just let the DL/blitzers tee off.

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Anyone else wondering if the Bombers would ever consider  running a six-pack receiving set any time this year? And who among Wolitarsky, Bailey, Agudosi, BOLO. Grant, or even McCrae, Augustine, or Oliviera would still not get in the last 3 spots in the top 6 formation?

We’ve ran it occasionally with buck running the show. It’s really hard to pull off the pass pro to make it work for more than a screen. But the di wr / grant goes in. 

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Clements needs to not be our WIL week 1

Need a young guy to jump up 

Eli hasn’t played in 2 years - he shouldn’t start day 1 over a guy who played well last year. 

agree on clements. Eli it’s all about the shape he’s in. If he’s close to 100% he’s drastically better. Kolo at c is worse than clements at wil. 

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

DT tweeted that Parker and Lawrence are manning one side with the 1s on D. Houston with the twos. Interesting.

He also tweeted Kolo, not Eli as the C with the 1s. Clements in Wilson's spot. Gauthier in Biggie's spot.

they know Houston will start. Probably giving guys in a battle a better look. 

Edited by wbbfan

4 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Actually I kind of wonder if we will run a lot of bigger protections. Especially when you have Lawler and Schoen who are likely to get open. Compliment them with Demski and have Woli and Bailey blocking or bring in an extra lineman

29 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Actually I kind of wonder if we will run a lot of bigger protections. Especially when you have Lawler and Schoen who are likely to get open. Compliment them with Demski and have Woli and Bailey blocking or bring in an extra lineman

I would like to see this happen. I think they have the receivers / OL to make it work.  Trestman / Calvillo proved it can be done, and done well.

I'd keep Oliveira in cuz he is a passing threat anyways cuz 6 real receivers likely gets Zach killed 

Your 2 options tho will be a back up cdn wr or rb or American kr type tho so  not sure I really see the point. 

My surprise cuts 

Grant. Clements. Rose. Agudosi. 

Edited by Goalie

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I'd keep Oliveira in cuz he is a passing threat anyways cuz 6 real receivers likely gets Zach killed 

Your 2 options tho will be a back up cdn wr or rb or American kr type tho so  not sure I really see the point. 

My surprise cuts 

No way Grant is cut unless he's hurt. He's shown his value to the team time and time again. The rest I would agree with. If I knew how much everyone was making I'd be able to make a better guess of who else should be on this list.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

My surprise cuts 

I’d say less than 50% chance one of those guys gets cut. And it probably won’t be the guy I’d cut. 0.00001% it’s grant. 

I think with our team it’s more surprise who’s hurt and won’t be ready for game 1. My pick is biggie or an ol. 

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I’d say less than 50% chance one of those guys gets cut. And it probably won’t be the guy I’d cut. 0.00001% it’s grant. 

I think with our team it’s more surprise who’s hurt and won’t be ready for game 1. My pick is biggie or an ol. 

Bighill?  Really?