Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Julius-Turner-DL-Rutgers

https://scarletknights.com/sports/football/roster/julius-turner/10396

turner looks like a disruptive back field guy, the type who sheds blocks and gets pressures or creates sacks for ends.  More instinctual than athlete. Played some nose for Rutgers but is undersized even by cfl standards. Guys who plays that much college ball and never refine them selves athletically especially at a good program worry me. They may have upside but they seem a lot less likely to ever capitalize on it. Though for the mafia to bring him in he must have a good head on his shoulders. 
 I feel like the era of soft body linemen is over, especially in the cfl. 

I've been thinking about the media coverage complaints all evening.... 

I have a lot of thoughts because I do this work, on a slightly smaller scale..... And have thoughts on what I would do, in that role. It's pretty basic on how you could use social media to improve the coverage, but...... 

I'm wondering if the team is limiting what's allowed to be shared. Would that ever be a thing? Like the team saying to the media "we don't want you talking about X, Y, Z..." I'm not sure. Maybe different rules that I'm not aware of. 

But if it's free game to talk about whatever.... I can think of a number of things, including lots of FB Live vids throughout the session. 

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

there's really not much to talk about, is the thing. If you follow DT on Twitter, there really hasn't been much to talk about. But in terms of content, I feel like there's been more this year than previous. Jeff Hamilton, Ted Wyman and Ed Tait have all been pumping out stuff every single day...

We literally have a player who didn’t show up to camp and nobody has reported on why/if he will show up.

The coverage has been pathetic unless your main interest is on puff pieces and player backstories. I’d personally like to know who is lining up where, who is taking looks at extra positions, that kind of stuff except the issue is nobody that covers the team knows what they’re watching.

All we know after 3 days of rookie camp is that Deuce Wallace had an interception and O’Shea Jr caught a pass. I know the ability to report on rookie camp is limited but it’s been like this for probably 3-4 training camps in a row now. Ever since Ed Tait became a Bomber employee, basically.

Just to add to what I wrote earlier, I just read the Bills rookie camp write up on The Athletic

Joe Buscaglia talks about where the 2nd round pick OL they drafted is lining up, he talks about the length of their rookie linebackers compared to some already rostered players, he talks about which rookies are participating and look to be competing on special teams drills in addition to their positional drills, he talks about where in the formations notable rookie receivers are lining up, the coverage is a million times better almost to the point where the only fault is that there’s TOO much (no, I don’t care that Dalton Kincaid dropped one pass in practice) information being thrown out. 

Bombers reports seem to be the exact opposite

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

I have a lot of thoughts because I do this work, on a slightly smaller scale..... And have thoughts on what I would do, in that role. It's pretty basic on how you could use social media to improve the coverage, but...... 

I'm wondering if the team is limiting what's allowed to be shared. Would that ever be a thing? Like the team saying to the media "we don't want you talking about X, Y, Z..." I'm not sure. Maybe different rules that I'm not aware of. 

But if it's free game to talk about whatever.... I can think of a number of things, including lots of FB Live vids throughout the session. 

Could be. Would certainly play into the whole secrecy thing the mafia do.
 Though I don’t think that’s it. The only thing that would do is keep teams in the dark a bit more about guys on the pr, but poaching is super rare now. Is it even still a thing? 
back in the day the freep etc expected those articles each day of camp and rookie camp. The bombers don’t. I think it’s that less is expected and tait for instance would prefer to write a long (and always brilliant) personal story that appeals to many more people than a camp break down for the football nerds. 
I could well be wrong though. 

17 hours ago, Geebrr said:

But he caught the ball! 

Is what we were told.

I never saw him play so I don’t have much to go by. 

Back in those days we were so pathetic at times that a kick returner who could properly field the ball and not fumble was seen as a major upgrade. 

Do we have a running tally on the rookie kickers and what their percentage of field goals made in rookie camp was?

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

The reality is that the beat writers right up to Tait have no ******* clue what’s going on.  They take 50 reps each but you’ll just get “this guy made a great move once.”

The only thing they can really report on is the narrative feel of things.

It would be nice if each city had an actual football analyst more engaged with training camp.  Say Walby.  I get that he doesn’t really want to put the time in now.  And to some extent there’s not really an audience for that depth of coverage like there is for the NFL.

52 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

And to some extent there’s not really an audience for that depth of coverage like there is for the NFL.

There is no end of coverage of the NFL, but

There isn't  much depth to The NFL coverage I hear.  player salary, rating quarterbacks/receivers,  trade rumours, who said what when, and why. gambling advice. which coach will be fired. is kyler a jerk, is lamar a good passer. JohnnyManziel for a while non stop. fans calling the show.

Close to no discussion about the actual game of football, for instance, blocking. 

and given the money available to pay media, you just can't compare the two leagues.

i

Edited by Mark F

45 minutes ago, Mark F said:

There is no end of coverage of the NFL, but

There isn't  much depth to The NFL coverage I hear.  player salary, rating quarterbacks/receivers,  trade rumours, who said what when, and why. gambling advice. which coach will be fired. is kyler a jerk, is lamar a good passer. JohnnyManziel for a while non stop. fans calling the show.

Close to no discussion about the actual game of football, for instance, blocking. 

and given the money available to pay media, you just can't compare the two leagues.

i

Then you’re reading the wrong coverage. I see all of that, but I source articles of interest off Reddit and read The Athletic and there is tons of in-depth analysis 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Then you’re reading the wrong coverage. I see all of that, but I source articles of interest off Reddit and read The Athletic and there is tons of in-depth analysis 

yes, I inderstand.... I dont think there is a complete absence of good coverage... Kurt Warner youtube channel  explains blocking, routes, qb reading.

I meant mainstream... ESPN, NFL network, local team radio for instance. are not  very good.

(admit, a lot of the good stuff, is over my head )

edit

just put on nfl network radio.  topic.  how can dan snyder indemnify himself for liability for sale of his nfl team.

Edited by Mark F

4 minutes ago, Mark F said:

yes, I inderstand.... I dont think there is a complete absence of good coverage... Kurt Warner youtube channel  explains blocking, routes, qb reading.

I meant mainstream... ESPN, NFL network, local team radio for instance. are not  very good.

(admit, a lot of the good stuff, is over my head )

I don’t even need in-depth coverage. We don’t have coverage of any kind. We get coverage of personal interest stories, but absolutely nothing related to actual camp sessions whatsoever.

You’ll notice O’Shea gets asked the biggest softball questions in the press conference because anyone covering the team just goes there to socialize with the other “reporters” and they generally have zero clue as to what happened during the on-field session. So when he fields questions, there’s no substance to them because they have no idea what to ask about. 

Like seriously, listen to Paul Friesen during yesterday’s press conference. Listen to the first two questions he asks - “what did you see?”, “how much did the intensity pick up with pads on?” … if you’re getting paid to attend practice and cover it, shouldn’t you have these answers already? And be asking meaningful questions based on YOUR observations? 

I’d like to hear somebody in the position to tell their side of things have a go at it so here we go @DTonOB

19 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I truly want to believe there's more to this than we, as fans, know. I want to believe there's ignorance in the complaints. But without being on the inside, I just don't know....

Genuine question: what on earth do you think we’re being ignorant about? You think there’s a conspiracy within the organization to force our reporters to use their media credentials for socializing instead of reporting? You think the club is limiting their ability to ask thought-provoking questions? Or that the front office is so paranoid that they don’t want hard-hitting information about who took the most practice reps in rookie camp being released to the general public? 

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I truly want to believe there's more to this than we, as fans, know. I want to believe there's ignorance in the complaints. But without being on the inside, I just don't know....

You really think it is hard to believe that turds like Friesen are too lazy to do anything but take a few sound bites from the coaches press time and throw an article together from that? Reporters are lazy that cover the Bombers. They aren't interested in trying to gather any info themselves. Just ask useless questions and write useless articles. 

43 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You really think it is hard to believe that turds like Friesen are too lazy to do anything but take a few sound bites from the coaches press time and throw an article together from that? Reporters are lazy that cover the Bombers. They aren't interested in trying to gather any info themselves. Just ask useless questions and write useless articles. 

I have been to many a bomber practice over the years - and the reporters are mostly the same - and that's exactly what they do. They're just there to hang out ( when they even choose to be there at all).

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Like seriously, listen to Paul Friesen during yesterday’s press conference. Listen to the first two questions he asks - “what did you see?”, “how much did the intensity pick up with pads on?” … if you’re getting paid to attend practice and cover it, shouldn’t you have these answers already? And be asking meaningful questions based on YOUR observations? 

I’d like to hear somebody in the position to tell their side of things have a go at it so here we go @DTonOB

DT is a great example of someone who actually put the work in to uncover more detailed information about games and players and made a career out of it.

I imagine the beat writers are lazy because they think no one cares about that amount of detail in training camp, but put it out there and we will come. 

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

without having all the information, I just wonder if there's reasons for what you're all complaining about. I'm not saying you're all wrong, I'm just wondering aloud if you don't have all the information. 

But the question is what reasons could there possibly be lol 

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

without having all the information, I just wonder if there's reasons for what you're all complaining about. I'm not saying you're all wrong, I'm just wondering aloud if you don't have all the information. 

I know what you are trying to say... but there is  wide gulf between if the team said "hey keep these certain things hush hush" and guys doing the bare minimum aka "here's how coach answered mundane questions"

I think this is a good question for bauming, though even if there is a reason I don’t think I would possible agree with it. 
 the league needs to grow coverage and broad cast quality in order to grow and maintain the fan base. And as a league the ability for under appreciated talent to find opportunity here is our life blood. We need the best players on game day rosters not hiding on the bench pr it etc.