Bombers Rookie Camp/Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Undersized is relative. For guys like Montford and walls length and explosive power and quickness played larger than life. Another 5–10 lean lbs would be an asset no doubt. But being tall and 245+ isn’t as important Imo. Especially if you rotate dl. 

we signed another nose tackle today so I’m guessing it’s true that obg isn’t reporting. Caleb thomas is even more athletic though and with a better pedigree. Hopefully he can be a stud. 

I can't imagine that NT will be a problem for us. Fairly easy to recruit. What i don't like about undersized DE's isn't their ability, it's that they generally get worn down much faster. But in a rotation....yea for sure having a speed guy sub in for a power guy is going to give OTs fits.

Edited by GCn20

4 hours ago, Mike said:

He’s nowhere near fast enough to be a returner in this league. To put his athleticism into perspective, his 40 time would’ve been dead last at the NFL combine for receivers by almost .2 seconds. Would’ve only beat one tight end. No linebackers. No corners. No safeties. Even the punter who ran the 40 this year was faster than him. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Yep, he was. And he could be like some of our early 2k ni Wrs Howell and drover etc. able to play any teams and back up other positions. 

Grant is maybe the best kr in the league, but I think Cole and Henry will put up a real battle. They are both explosive play makers with the ball in their hands. I expect the best battle we’ve seen at kr in a long long time.  
Both are more offensive players who return kicks as well. I think one or both with be sticking with us for a while. guys like that with top notch athleticism are hard to come by. 

Fair enough and thanks for the input... I don't really know much about MOS Jr... just trying to think of ways he might try to make his mark 

43 minutes ago, Booch said:

what I like about Grant and truly sets him apart is he is strong AF and tough as nails....for a lil dude, he pushed 22 reps of 225 at a pro day I believe...better numbers than many lineman/linebackers and guys twice his size...dudes a lil freak athlete

100% he runs like a 220lbs rb. Absolutely love his physicality strength and attitude. Doesn’t get caught up going east west too. You couldn’t design a better kr

32 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I can't imagine that NT will be a problem for us. Fairly easy to recruit. What i don't like about undersized DE's isn't their ability, it's that they generally get worn down much faster. But in a rotation....yea for sure having a speed guy sub in for a power guy is going to give OTs fits.

It isn’t hard to find but we didn’t get one all last year. I think it’s philosophical. We need to be based around a nt. But you are right it’s not hard to find that guy for the cfl and our front office excels at finding those guys. 

29 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Yeah not much of a returner but a pretty solid DB though.

Funny thing is he was a monster td threat before coming here. Iirc he’s 2nd or 3rd in defensive tds. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

100% he runs like a 220lbs rb. Absolutely love his physicality strength and attitude. Doesn’t get caught up going east west too. You couldn’t design a better kr

It isn’t hard to find but we didn’t get one all last year. I think it’s philosophical. We need to be based around a nt. But you are right it’s not hard to find that guy for the cfl and our front office excels at finding those guys. 

I think last year Sayles was pretty good tbh.

Just now, GCn20 said:

I think last year Sayles was pretty good tbh.

He was excellent. If we had a nose next to him he’d a been a real modp candidate. I like the guy a lot. But we aren’t going to flip the ratio or work as well with out a nose. I think he will have a great year in hammy

Casey Sayles was excellent? Really? Maybe we've been spoiled by Nevis and Stove, but I thought Sayles and Walker were a pile of "Meh..." and am truly hoping that we find a real beast for the middle this year. We all wanted it to be the Ontario Provincial Police Cruiser, but now it sounds like he's not coming to camp, so who knows what's going to happen there...

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

No love for Marvin "catch and fall forward for 5 yards" Coleman?

But he caught the ball! 

Is what we were told.

10 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Jovon was more than  solid at punt returns too. But Grant is the best out of all of them imo. KR or PR

I never saw him play so I don’t have much to go by. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Casey Sayles was excellent? Really? Maybe we've been spoiled by Nevis and Stove, but I thought Sayles and Walker were a pile of "Meh..." and am truly hoping that we find a real beast for the middle this year. We all wanted it to be the Ontario Provincial Police Cruiser, but now it sounds like he's not coming to camp, so who knows what's going to happen there...

Walker was meh, sayles was excellent. 

34 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Roberts wasn’t bad either 

Aj was really one year as a return man here. Blink was excellent but again transitioned into just an offense guy. 

22 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Jovon was more than  solid at punt returns too. But Grant is the best out of all of them imo. KR or PR

next up was fogg. But yeah I don’t think any one is even close to grant. A lot of our other good kr guys were full time position players or became them. Or left for the nfl. It really seems like we haven’t had great return men in the last 30 ish years. 

and as good as stokes was he ended up just playing selfish and selling out for tds every time and losing huge yardage. 

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Is it just me or has the mini camp reports been kinda sparse? I feel like from all sources they haven’t talked about guys other than one good catch a day and the odd pick from a db. 

They have. It would be nice to know guys who have stood out. From these reports we know MOS Jr has made some catches and Deuce Wallace had a pick.

there's really not much to talk about, is the thing. If you follow DT on Twitter, there really hasn't been much to talk about. But in terms of content, I feel like there's been more this year than previous. Jeff Hamilton, Ted Wyman and Ed Tait have all been pumping out stuff every single day...

there's really not much to talk about, is the thing. If you follow DT on Twitter, there really hasn't been much to talk about. But in terms of content, I feel like there's been more this year than previous. Jeff Hamilton, Ted Wyman and Ed Tait have all been pumping out stuff every single day...

It’s much much more content to cover than the drills at the combine. In the past we’ve had far more in-depth coverage with far smaller rosters. 
they haven’t even reported who showed up and who hasn’t. Remember a couple years ago we didn’t know a guy was Mia till mid camp? 

I love and appreciate all the fantastic coverage on the personal stories and such. But especially after the long off season this is the time for good football reporting. 

I know most of the media guys are bomber employees now and maybe that’s the trade off. Maybe next year we here need to set up a rotation of guys going to rookie camp and tc to post like we used to have. I could certainly set up a week or so off to help contribute. 

Sucks about Henry don’t think he ever reported.