The RIP 2023 Thread

TrueBlue4ever

I posted that song from his 1st album then listened to the rest of it. while pruning trees. And DAMN ! I I had almost forgot how good it was. It absolutely brilliant. While he had individual songs that matched or perhaps bettered it , the album as a whole was his best. Done simply yet runs the gambit from political commentary to heartbreak.

RIP Gord. 

CJNU (93.7 FM) presents/Countdown is going to devote the 2nd hour of the program to Lightfoot's music (the second hour will be at 9)

I didn't even know Lake Superior HAD a twitter account

Edited by iHeart

2 hours ago, the watcher said:

Check out his voice here. 

What an amazing album.  I remember growing up listening to that album, many many times.  I followed your lead and am giving it another listen now...and that's when I remembered that it was Gord that wrote and first performed the song "Ribbon of Darkness Over Me" which of course has always been credited to Marty Robbins.  Not so.  Gord you are truly a Canadian gem that touched so many lives.  RIP old friend.

Lightfoot had his share of struggles- alcoholism, for one, but he was sober for some 40 years. His way of composing was to rent a vacant house and spend hours there alone with his guitar, coffee, a chair, a small table and a notebook. He once wrote a love song about named woman but withdrew it from circulation when he realized that it might make his wife uncomfortable. My wife was kissed by him when in Ottawa in a case of mistaken identity. 

He was a Canadian icon, a towering talent and a genuinely nice guy. We will not see his like again.

22 hours ago, Wideleft said:

He was no slouch singing about America either.  This is my personal favorite of his:

Lightfoot was a true genius, not only from a lyrical perspective but the complexity of the musical arrangement, his singing and the instrumentation that accompanied his words was close to perfection.

Rick Beato posted a wonderful tribute.

Edited by Fatty Liver

50 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Lightfoot was a genius, not only from a lyrical standpoint but 

Lightfoot was a true genius, not only from a lyrical perspective but the complexity of the musical arrangement, his singing and the instrumentation that accompanied his words was close to perfection.

Rick Beato posted a wonderful tribute.

I think that he's right.  "If You Could Read My Mind" is one of the most perfect songs ever written.

In a recently aired interview, Lightfoot said that his opus magnum was "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald". He apparently had the tune rolling around in his head for months until the boat sank and he was inspired to create the lyrics we know.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/czech-hockey-star-petr-klima-dead-at-age-of-58-1.1956126

EDMONTON — Petr Klima, whose triple-overtime goal against Boston in Game 1 of the 1990 NHL final ended the longest game in Stanley Cup final history, has died at 58.

In 786 games across 13 seasons in the NHL, the right-winger scored 313 regular season goals and added 260 assists.

He played for the Detroit Red Wings, Oilers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Los Angeles Kings and Pittsburgh Penguins.

“The NHL mourns the passing of Czech legend Petr Klima," the league said in a statement. “Klima helped the Oilers win the 1990 Stanley Cup while scoring a memorable triple-overtime winner in Game 1 of the Final. Our sympathies are with his family, friends and many fans.”

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

According to Wikipedia. 

As of December 2019, he is a radio host on CBC Music. Most recently, he joined Apple Music Radio as host of a Monday to Thursday live show.

Kind of curious where Jian Ghomeshi ended up.