Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd argue that Jeffcoat is better than Jefferson.

Hardrick and Biggie are interesting choices.

Keep em both, Jeffcoat needs to be retained to get the best out of Willie, unfortunately they did not get to play together enough this season, thus were not as effective as they could be.  More important to find a 3rd DE who can also create chaos and spell them off.  The return of Kongbo would be swell.

Here are your 30+ Bombers.  Not a lot of players who are necessarily too old for their position.  This team is full of veterans instead of "old guys".

Bryant, Stanley OL A 6'5 313 36 East Carolina
Benson, Mike LS N 5'11 220 35 Acadia
Bighill, Adam LB A 5'10 219 34 Central Washington
Collaros, Zach QB A 6'1 218 34 Cincinnati
Ellingson, Greg WR A 6'3 211 33 Florida International
Miller, Mike FB N 6'0 221 33 Acadia
Neufeld, Patrick OL N 6'6 307 33 Saskatchewan
Briggs, Jesse LB N 6'1 207 32 McGill
Hardrick, Jermarcus OL A 6'5 319 32 Nebraska
Jeffcoat, Jackson DE A 6'3 243 31 Texas
Jefferson, Willie DL A 6'7 242 31 Stephen F. Austin
Thomas, Jake DT N 6'2 274 31 Acadia
Darby Jr., Alden DB A 5'11 194 30 Arizona State
Gauthier, Shayne LB N 5'10 223 30 Laval
Kolankowski, Chris OL N 6'1 309 30 York

Additional over 30's

Taylor, Nick DB A 5'9 181 34

Florida International

Maston, Mercy DB A 6'0 210 30 Boise State
Wilson, Kyrie LB A 6'1 221 30 Fresno State
Knuettel, Timothy WR G 6'2 200 30 Seton Hill
Mourtada, Ali K A 5'7 172 32 Pace

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

No way you're getting Oakman, Mauldin, Jeffcoat, Jefferson and Bighill all under the same cap

I think some thing that will need to be addressed is how much we spend on biggie and the Jeff’s. 
 Biggie I don’t think will have an issue with a more reasonable contract again. Jeffcoat doesn’t need to cut down too much since he’s on the 6 game for atleast 1/3rd of each season. 
 Jeffcoat still impacts the game in a big way and probably wants to keep more money. 

according to 3dn jeffcoat is 152k had some bonuses on top but likely didn’t hit them. Willy j 225k. 165 for biggie. Biggie made a lot less the previous year I don’t see him being an issue. Between all three the bombers should be able to save 100k imo. 

The thing that’s been said a thousand times this year is we need a nose tackle. A good one makes such a huge impact in our defense and allows biggie and the Jeff’s to do soo much more. 
 No1 target for me would be to try and bring stove back. Coming off an injury I think he will come more reasonably priced. Oakman would be great despite not being a nose because he is such a force inside. 

no2 is another rotational de. Hansen back will be big if we can bring back kongbo that’d be a game changer. 

no3 is another lber. A gap cancelling scrape to the run guy who can allow biggie to stay clean. If they are effective in the blitz even better. Kyrie was tremendous but we need an insurance guy. I don’t expect a star here more likely a rookie. 

no4 some other cost cutting moves. Rose and Augustine need to be cheaper or replaced. If schoen goes to the nfl getting lawler back would be great. 

other wise it’s a lot of trying to keep guys around and better depth / pr management. No reason to keep Ali around etc. perhaps we see ol change this off season. I think Dobson would be better at guard than gray to move forward with. 

Honestly I don’t see how you can keep either of the two kickers we have now.   Glaring weakness for two years now, that finally caught up with up with them at the worst possible time.  Bring in some actual competition too.  Mourtada isn’t making anyone work for their job.   
I would hate to see Jeffcoat go.   Thought he was great this season, and one of the few who came to play last night.   
I Think you really gotta try hard for Kenny Lawler if Schoen goes south.  Move on from Ellingson.   Not a lot of value there this year.   Maybe Agudosi is able to stay healthy and become a player next year?

Id have surprisingly little trouble moving on from Winston Rose.   I thought he was one of the biggest disappointments this season.  It was almost a gimme catch for the other teams to throw his direction all season.  

Just my two cents. 

6 hours ago, Rex_Banner said:

Honestly I don’t see how you can keep either of the two kickers we have now.   Glaring weakness for two years now, that finally caught up with up with them at the worst possible time.  Bring in some actual competition too.  Mourtada isn’t making anyone work for their job.   
I would hate to see Jeffcoat go.   Thought he was great this season, and one of the few who came to play last night.   
I Think you really gotta try hard for Kenny Lawler if Schoen goes south.  Move on from Ellingson.   Not a lot of value there this year.   Maybe Agudosi is able to stay healthy and become a player next year?

Id have surprisingly little trouble moving on from Winston Rose.   I thought he was one of the biggest disappointments this season.  It was almost a gimme catch for the other teams to throw his direction all season.  

Just my two cents. 

Legs missed one fg that was blocked and missed one xpt. He easily out kicked bede in fgs and his 83% on the year with a decent period in the 90% range. He’s young he’s cheap he’s Canadian and he’s a high end prospect with a ton of upside oh and he was fantastic on the year in all 3 jobs  It’s pretty easy really. 

I expect lawler back if he didn’t get hurt he would’ve been back. Ellingson was money when healthy. 600 yards 3 tds in 8 games. Would’ve put up 1500 in a full year that’s pretty good value. 
 agudosi mcg and a couple blue chip futures guys we brought in mid season not worried about wrs  

I think rose has to be dirt cheap to be brought back. 
I wouldn’t be surprised if we flip a db spot to ni with ford and Kramdi rotating next year. Both looked fantastic in their starts and action. 
 I think it’s similar with Taylor and mercy. Love those guys but that’s the business. 

25 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

I would like to see us add some depth on the DL, especially a non-import.

I really believe losing Kongbo, then Hansen hurt our push up front big time. I like the rotation, keeping guys fresh.

A big imp pass rusher and nose or the return of kongbo is needed. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Jake retires too. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Legs missed one fg that was blocked and missed one xpt. He easily out kicked bede in fgs and his 83% on the year with a decent period in the 90% range. He’s young he’s cheap he’s Canadian and he’s a high end prospect with a ton of upside oh and he was fantastic on the year in all 3 jobs  It’s pretty easy really. 

I expect lawler back if he didn’t get hurt he would’ve been back. Ellingson was money when healthy. 600 yards 3 tds in 8 games. Would’ve put up 1500 in a full year that’s pretty good value. 
 agudosi mcg and a couple blue chip futures guys we brought in mid season not worried about wrs  

I think rose has to be dirt cheap to be brought back. 
I wouldn’t be surprised if we flip a db spot to ni with ford and Kramdi rotating next year. Both looked fantastic in their starts and action. 
 I think it’s similar with Taylor and mercy. Love those guys but that’s the business. 

Legs is young. He's cheap. He ain't that good. More reason to keep him & then we deserve all the bad that comes with a decision like that.  Like blowing another championship. I don't want a cheap kicker. I want a kicker that kicks good. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

If they keep him, he'll need to be better at kicking extra points.

Maybe Hire an XP whisperer 😅

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He was better than good at all 3 roles this year and is super young. He's only going to keep getting better. If the Teams don't allow that last kick to be blocked, maybe we're celebrating a win today....? 

I know this will just come off as me being me, but even if that kick goes through, Toronto finds a way. Chad Kelly would pull a Kenny Ploen or some ****. It was in the stars.

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

He was better than good at all 3 roles this year and is super young. He's only going to keep getting better. If the Teams don't allow that last kick to be blocked, maybe we're celebrating a win today....? 

That kick was at the line, going left and no more than 6 feet in the air.

It was maybe going about 10 yards further than it would have after it got blocked and way wide.

The ball is pinned in the middle of the field and the kick over 7 yards is in the gap outside the LT already.  Something was very wrong with the kick right off the foot.

On paper Liegghio is a good kicker in all aspects.  But he’s unreliable.  It’s not just one kick, it’s not just two kicks.  His punting was awful in that game including putting one right down the hash mark to set up a big return and the go-ahead TD.

I can’t imagine a coach having a lot of trust with that player as in feeling confident putting him on the field really ever.  To me it’s very similar to Hajrullahu’s final days here except the stakes were so much higher for Liegghio’s screwups.

Maybe he needs to focus on one job and at the start of this year I would have said punting but now I might say placekicking because his punting was very erratic this year too.

26 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That kick was at the line, going left and no more than 6 feet in the air.

It was maybe going about 10 yards further than it would have after it got blocked and way wide.

The ball is pinned in the middle of the field and the kick over 7 yards is in the gap outside the LT already.  Something was very wrong with the kick right off the foot.

On paper Liegghio is a good kicker in all aspects.  But he’s unreliable.  It’s not just one kick, it’s not just two kicks.  His punting was awful in that game including putting one right down the hash mark to set up a big return and the go-ahead TD.

I can’t imagine a coach having a lot of trust with that player as in feeling confident putting him on the field really ever.  To me it’s very similar to Hajrullahu’s final days here except the stakes were so much higher for Liegghio’s screwups.

Maybe he needs to focus on one job and at the start of this year I would have said punting but now I might say placekicking because his punting was very erratic this year too.

He is definitely not a booming punter, but that's not what's being asked of him.  His punt placement has been exceptional all year.  Too bad that one punt went down the middle, but 10 yard shanks also happen.  Haven't seen him shank a punt badly as far as I can remember.

If the Bombers want to bring in competition for that spot, that's fine, but I think it's way too soon to send him packing without a better option in place.  Kickers shouldn't be treated any differently than other positions/roles.  Got to earn that spot in camp.

Bomber Free Agents according to 3Down Nation:

Quarterback

Dakota Prukop (A)

Running back

None

Fullback

Mike Miller (N)

Receiver

Rasheed Bailey (A)
Nic Demski (N)
Greg Ellingson (A)
Janarion Grant (A)

Offensive line

Stanley Bryant (A)
Michael Couture (N)
Jermarcus Hardrick (A)
Patrick Neufeld (N)

Defensive line

Keion Adams (A)
Jackson Jeffcoat (A)
Willie Jefferson (A)
Casey Sayles (A)
Jake Thomas (N)

Linebacker

Adam Bighill (A)
Jesse Briggs (N)
Shayne Gauthier (N)
Les Maruo (G)
Kyrie Wilson (A)

Defensive back

Alden Darby (A)
Desmond Lawrence (A)
Mercy Maston (A)
Winston Rose (A)
Nick Taylor (A)

Kicker

None

Long snapper

Mike Benson (N)

A number of players finished the season on the practice roster, including American receiver Jaivon Heiligh, Global receiver Timothy Knuettel, American receiver Greg McCrae, Canadian receiver Luke McMillan, American offensive lineman Eric Lofton, American offensive lineman Tyler Witt, American linebacker DeJaun Cooper, Global defensive back Souleymane Karamoko, Canadian defensive back Cedric Lavigne, American defensive back Donald Rutledge Jr., and American kicker Ali Mourtada. As such, they are currently free agents.

Hard to understand the satisfaction  with Liegghio.  lot of "yeah, but"....

and " Bede is worse" 

great.,lets keep him.

two playoff games in a row where the points from his misses were significant.

when the Lions were still in it late, they would have had to score twice, to tie (unlikely, not enough time) if he hadnt flubbed.

Missing an extra point, in a close playoff games?  nope. I think he has one clutch kick to win a game, in two years.

need someone better than that.

Edited by Mark F

11 hours ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Bighill, Rose and Ellingson can have their apple and road map any time.

I think biggie is fine if not in a position where he has to be the Barrin Simpson mlber and instead can be the wil to a guy that stops the run and plays gaps.  Not many lbers can wheel back into deep cover like him. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Legs is young. He's cheap. He ain't that good. More reason to keep him & then we deserve all the bad that comes with a decision like that.  Like blowing another championship. I don't want a cheap kicker. I want a kicker that kicks good. 

he is good you seldom get a great kicker off a great season. Medlock stunk up the nfl remember. I’m all for bringing in real competition. But I’m not worried about him continuing to grow and become a elite cfl kicker. 

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Was reported earlier in the week that Jake wants to keep playing.

every one wants to keep playing on grey cup week. The physical reality of the off season prep and another training camp is what pushes guys into retirement. 

48 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Bomber Free Agents according to 3Down Nation:

Quarterback

Dakota Prukop (A)

Running back

None

Fullback

Mike Miller (N)

Receiver

Rasheed Bailey (A)
Nic Demski (N)
Greg Ellingson (A)
Janarion Grant (A)

Offensive line

Stanley Bryant (A)
Michael Couture (N)
Jermarcus Hardrick (A)
Patrick Neufeld (N)

Defensive line

Keion Adams (A)
Jackson Jeffcoat (A)
Willie Jefferson (A)
Casey Sayles (A)
Jake Thomas (N)

Linebacker

Adam Bighill (A)
Jesse Briggs (N)
Shayne Gauthier (N)
Les Maruo (G)
Kyrie Wilson (A)

Defensive back

Alden Darby (A)
Desmond Lawrence (A)
Mercy Maston (A)
Winston Rose (A)
Nick Taylor (A)

Kicker

None

Long snapper

Mike Benson (N)

A number of players finished the season on the practice roster, including American receiver Jaivon Heiligh, Global receiver Timothy Knuettel, American receiver Greg McCrae, Canadian receiver Luke McMillan, American offensive lineman Eric Lofton, American offensive lineman Tyler Witt, American linebacker DeJaun Cooper, Global defensive back Souleymane Karamoko, Canadian defensive back Cedric Lavigne, American defensive back Donald Rutledge Jr., and American kicker Ali Mourtada. As such, they are currently free agents.

Thanks. I think grant will be a serious flight risk. No one wanted to pay him last year and he re signed real late. This year he’s gonna get a lot more offers. 

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

No, it was too flat for that distance. Also, pulled slight to the left. the two of the three reasons the argo got a hand on it.

I remember it seeing going, "...oh fuc- ****!" the first being the look of the kick and then the load one when blocked.

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Was reported earlier in the week that Jake wants to keep playing.

If he plays again this year- I am getting a Thomas jersey. Total unsung hero of the Bombers.

Edited by Wanna-B-Fanboy

I would like to see the team free up some cap space so we can go after Kenny Lawler who i don't think will get a 300k offer again. I assume that Schoen is gone to the NFL and that's extra painful due to the production we got out of a rookie minimum salary. Players who could be traded/released to save some cap space.

Johnny Augustine. I believe he was signed to a deal that paid him more or less the same as Brady. With the Canadian depth we have we don't need a 90k a year backup runningback who hardly plays. We could find a league minimum Canadain backup for situation where we don't dress an american backup runningback like with did with McCrae. If Brady is injured going into a game we have the canadian depth to start a league minimum American back. 

Jackson Jeffcoat - He's a good player but his injuries hurt the team this year especially in the grey cup. The only other knock on him is he's one of the more undisciplined players on the roster in terms of taking penalties. He's a good player. But i think we need to get back into the mode of have higher quality backups and maybe take a reduction in the quality of starter at this one position. IMO we lost the Grey Cup because he went down and we had no backup on the roster.  Kelly had nothing and should not have produced a TD but that loss of contain doesn't happen with Sayles at DT and Jeffcoat at DE.

Bighill - Can come back at a lower salary.  He's still solid and has been durable. 

Kyrie Wilson - Injury history a risk. We should be able to find one linebacker.

Stanley Bryant - Retires. Replace him with a league minimum replacement. I though that the offensive line we dressed in the late season game in BC look shaky in the first half but in the second half they played pretty well. Hopefully Desjarlais is available. 

Rose - underperformed. Would only bring back at a significant pay reduction. 

Couture - He's a guy you could probably trade for a high draft pick to a team like Edmonton or Ottawa and replace with Kolankowski. Use this high pick on an offensive lineman who can come in on a rookie deal and add depth behind the starters.

Nick Taylor, Matson -No need to spend up on defensive backs. With everyone healthy we discovered quite a few good young defensive backs like Houston, Parker, and Lawrence. Alden Darby worth bringing back on a reasonable veteran salary. After what happened i think he will be more interested in taking a decent offer from Winnipeg this season.

Ellingson - Would save that money and take some of the salary saved from other subtractions to focus on Lawler. If Lawyer can't be signed maybe we look at bringing back Ellingson on a reduction and another vet such as Burnham. I personally think Bo Levi Mitchell wants to test free agency because the job in BC might be available. If BC goes that route they won't be able to spend like this at receiver. Burnham most likely to be released due to age and salary.