Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

Ok then what about the offensive line giving up pressure non stop? What about the dropped passes? What about even allowing the kick to be blocked at the end? And on and on we go.... some of you hate legs and will go out of your way to blame the kid. You want to blame someone there is plenty to go around because it is damned inexcusable that the Bombers offense couldn't get the job done themselves and score touchdowns like they did all bloody season. They couldn't even sustain drives. 

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Who prior to going to the stamps was a young kicker in another city who wasn't good enough.... the point here is that sometimes you gotta give young players time to grow. Legs isn't as awful a kicker as you make him out to be. The misses in the Grey Cup game were not the reason we lost. I'd point a hellnof a lot more fingers at the MOP, veteran, highest paid player in the league than a young kicker 

The missed convert prevented us from going into OT & of course we don't know what would have happened if we had. There are place kicker gurus who work with college & pro kickers. The Bombers would be wise to invest in sending Liegghio to one of these kicking coaches in Arizona or California. Or wherever they do their kicking camps. 

Back in the day both Trevor Kennerd & Bob Cameron used to spend time during the off season in Arizona with kicking & punting coach Gary Zauner who is still working with pro punters, kickers & long snappers in Arizona. If I'm Walters, the more work & quality coaching Liegghio can get this off season, the better.

On 2022-11-21 at 8:57 PM, Mr. Perfect said:

Bighill, Rose and Ellingson can have their apple and road map any time.

Give Bighill a DL like we had 2 years ago & he'll play much better. Our defense had some deficiencies this past season that the 2021 defense didn't. We all could see it & knew it. We needed a big DT who could stop the opposing team's run game & pressure the qb by pushing the opposition o-line. The Bombers either couldn't or decided they wouldn't improve what was a deficiency at the tackle positions during the season. 

Ellingson's performance was very disappointing when he came back but let's be honest when Ellingson was injured, the passing game seemed to be built around him as the centerpiece.. By the time Ellingson came back months later, Schoen had replaced him as the "Go To" guy in the offense & Ellingson became the afterthought. 

I still have no clue what injury Ellingson had that kept him out three quarters of the season. I just wish we'd concentrate on signing young CFL FA receivers in their 20's like Jake Weineke or Jaelon Acklin. The team needs to be more forthcoming with injuries. fans should know the status of players & when they might be coming back.

Walters seems to like signing 30 year old plus receivers who don't last because their bodies are at the end of the line physically from years of being punished by opposing DB's. We need to seriously rethink that strategy. It doesn't do us any good to have old former thousand yard receiving all stars getting paid while spending months being cycled on the 6 game. IL. This seems to happen to every 30 year old plus receiver we sign. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Ok then what about the offensive line giving up pressure non stop? What about the dropped passes? What about even allowing the kick to be blocked at the end? And on and on we go.... some of you hate legs and will go out of your way to blame the kid. You want to blame someone there is plenty to go around because it is damned inexcusable that the Bombers offense couldn't get the job done themselves and score touchdowns like they did all bloody season. They couldn't even sustain drives. 

Definitely plenty of blame to go around from the coaches down. 

We will be back next year. 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The missed convert prevented us from going into OT & of course we don't know what would have happened if we had. There are place kicker gurus who work with college & pro kickers. The Bombers would be wise to invest in sending Liegghio to one of these kicking coaches in Arizona or California. Or wherever they do their kicking camps. 

Back in the day both Trevor Kennerd & Bob Cameron used to spend time during the off season in Arizona with kicking & punting coach Gary Zauner who is still working with pro punters, kickers & long snappers in Arizona. If I'm Walters, the more work & quality coaching Liegghio can get this off season, the better.

You're expecting perfection from Legs when the rest of the team wasn't even average.

You take away either of our two interceptions or the Chad Kelly run or we grind Brady more in the 4th quarter and we win by taking a knee. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yes, Collaros never played well but as is the Bomber way, we didn't know the extent of his foot/ankle injury. It's always a big secret with MOS ,not giving any info to the media about the status of injured players. So, I think it was worse than the Bombers  made it out to be. "He's okay". Not a concern"is what we heard all week.  Therefore, I give Collaros a pass regarding his level of play because of the & the way he gutted it out.

Except that Collaros isn't paid to "gut it out".  He's paid to perform.  Maybe he was having an off day.  It happens.  But if he was unable to perform because he was injured and didn't say anything, how is that any different than Maver.    

6 pages in on a thread that says in the title "Don't Look back" yet that is exactly the theme of discussion. Looking back and complaining about the GC loss, absolutely it sucks but what do we need for next year to make that happen?

One is going to argue a new kicker, others will defend the current and back we go in to the past.

Indulge me for a moment for one "final" look back. Leading up to the game the common theme was that TO would have to score 30plus to even be in the game as our offense was going to score more. Guess what... Offense stunk, as bad as the defense looked they held them under the magic 30 number. Our offense didn't get it done they way they have all season. Book closed, move on. No one player bares the brunt of this failure and to a man I believe the team feels this way. They win as a team / lose as a team. Why to we need to go all "Ballsy" and need a scapegoat?

This is still a team that is the class of the league from the guy that cleans the dressing room to the top office in the building, let's remember who we are and who we support. No one in that organization is looking to blame any one person, why must we? Can't we be at least as good as the team we cheer for?

14 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Indulge me for a moment for one "final" look back. Leading up to the game the common theme was that TO would have to score 30plus to even be in the game as our offense was going to score more. Guess what... Offense stunk, as bad as the defense looked they held them under the magic 30 number. Our offense didn't get it done they way they have all season. Book closed, move on. No one player bares the brunt of this failure and to a man I believe the team feels this way. They win as a team / lose as a team. Why to we need to go all "Ballsy" and need a scapegoat?

This is exactly it. People were worried about the D, they maybe were worried about kicking but no one thought the offense would be as inept as they were and that's the game right there.

The problem here is some people will never be happy no matter what the kicker does and those people need to be told they are wrong.

Well, I did tell my nephew before the game that if we were going to lose, it will be by one point and during the game Leggs will have missed a point after. 

Lots of blame to go around, but field goals inside the 40 should be nigh automatic. I think that is why many are putting a disproportionate amount of blame on Leggs.

8 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Except that Collaros isn't paid to "gut it out".  He's paid to perform.  Maybe he was having an off day.  It happens.  But if he was unable to perform because he was injured and didn't say anything, how is that any different than Maver.    

How can you compare the 2? The Bomber medical staff & coaches knew about the injury to Zach. The doctors cleared him to play. Thje Stamps coaches & medical staff knew nothing about Maver's injury. He performed an untruth by not letting anyone know that he was legitimately injured. (I think Maver had a pulled groin). Collaros OTOH was cleared to play & tried his best. Everything Collaros & the Bombers did was open & above board.  My understanding was that Hufnagel was so angry at Maver that he nearly cut him as soon as he found out. Maver apologized to the team for his actions. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

18 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The missed convert kept us from "potentially" going to overtime. Toronto kneeled the ball with plenty of time on the clock. 

Just now, Nolby said:

I think it's less than his last signing but maybe performance based incentives push it up there? I got a feeling Lawler will be coming back here as I don't see Ellingson back.

I've been trying to convince myself Lawler will be back, but he really has no reason to accept less money than last time around.

It seems unlikely he suddenly decided that staying in Winnipeg is worth playing for half the salary. 

14 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I've been trying to convince myself Lawler will be back, but he really has no reason to accept less money than last time around.

It seems unlikely he suddenly decided that staying in Winnipeg is worth playing for half the salary. 

Rumor was that when the trade was going to happen. Walters had an extension ready to go for him...so I'm hopeful both parties are still able to agree to a contract. 

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Rumor was that when the trade was going to happen. Walters had an extension ready to go for him...so I'm hopeful both parties are still able to agree to a contract. 

Even if the rumours are true, just because he an extension prepared, doesn't mean Lawler would sign it. 

I am also hopeful, but it is all on Lawler - other teams will still have large offers for him.

7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I am also hopeful,

despite all evidence to the contrary.....

2 minutes ago, Dr. Blue said:

Walters must of had money put aside for the players in the NFL, in case they came free. Now using that cap space to extend players.

Yes.....and also a number of players 6-gamed...