Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

Bring in real competition for Leggs spot....Points missed in a must win game doesn't fly with me.....We're probably going to lose a few guys in fa next year.....might as well face that fact....Go priority signings ....then have a good look around at other rosters and their fa's.....I know Walters has the knack to pull off a key deal.....Lot's of time to think about that scenario

21 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Bring in real competition for Leggs spot....Points missed in a must win game doesn't fly with me.....We're probably going to lose a few guys in fa next year.....might as well face that fact....Go priority signings ....then have a good look around at other rosters and their fa's.....I know Walters has the knack to pull off a key deal.....Lot's of time to think about that scenario

My bigger issue with leggs then the 1 point we missed was his punting and kickoffs in the Grey Cup. Especially when the other kicker is a beast. In terms of Placekicking/Converts Bede cost his team more then Leggs did. 

2 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Zero interest in Ellingson being back. Pay the other guys and recruit if Kenny doesn’t want to come home (he will) 

We don’t need Ellingson 

I wouldn’t bring him back at any amount.

Ellingson is at the age where it is probably time for us to move on from him. Either go get Kenny, or find a young hungry receiver through recruitment or FA.

Two players I absolutely love... but are becoming such a durability concern... Jeffcoat and Wilson... I'm torn on what we should do with these guys because they are so good and such difference makers... when healthy... and healthy is becoming less and less often the last couple seasons

@Colin Unger mentioned that the defense changed when Jeffcoat got hurt.. and I completely agree... he was our best player up to that point and as soon as he went down, the D wasn't the same... no chance we give up that ugly 2nd 15 conversation with the right players in the line up... a healthy Jeffcoat and Wilson would've been the difference in this game

4 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I would like to see the team free up some cap space so we can go after Kenny Lawler who i don't think will get a 300k offer again. I assume that Schoen is gone to the NFL and that's extra painful due to the production we got out of a rookie minimum salary. Players who could be traded/released to save some cap space.

Johnny Augustine. I believe he was signed to a deal that paid him more or less the same as Brady. With the Canadian depth we have we don't need a 90k a year backup runningback who hardly plays. We could find a league minimum Canadain backup for situation where we don't dress an american backup runningback like with did with McCrae. If Brady is injured going into a game we have the canadian depth to start a league minimum American back. 

Jackson Jeffcoat - He's a good player but his injuries hurt the team this year especially in the grey cup. The only other knock on him is he's one of the more undisciplined players on the roster in terms of taking penalties. He's a good player. But i think we need to get back into the mode of have higher quality backups and maybe take a reduction in the quality of starter at this one position. IMO we lost the Grey Cup because he went down and we had no backup on the roster.  Kelly had nothing and should not have produced a TD but that loss of contain doesn't happen with Sayles at DT and Jeffcoat at DE.

Bighill - Can come back at a lower salary.  He's still solid and has been durable. 

Kyrie Wilson - Injury history a risk. We should be able to find one linebacker.

Stanley Bryant - Retires. Replace him with a league minimum replacement. I though that the offensive line we dressed in the late season game in BC look shaky in the first half but in the second half they played pretty well. Hopefully Desjarlais is available. 

Rose - underperformed. Would only bring back at a significant pay reduction. 

Couture - He's a guy you could probably trade for a high draft pick to a team like Edmonton or Ottawa and replace with Kolankowski. Use this high pick on an offensive lineman who can come in on a rookie deal and add depth behind the starters.

Nick Taylor, Matson -No need to spend up on defensive backs. With everyone healthy we discovered quite a few good young defensive backs like Houston, Parker, and Lawrence. Alden Darby worth bringing back on a reasonable veteran salary. After what happened i think he will be more interested in taking a decent offer from Winnipeg this season.

Ellingson - Would save that money and take some of the salary saved from other subtractions to focus on Lawler. If Lawyer can't be signed maybe we look at bringing back Ellingson on a reduction and another vet such as Burnham. I personally think Bo Levi Mitchell wants to test free agency because the job in BC might be available. If BC goes that route they won't be able to spend like this at receiver. Burnham most likely to be released due to age and salary. 

Agree with a bunch. Jj being hurt and on the 6 game is tenable because then his salary cap hit isn’t soo high. 
 Kola is a good 6th ol. I wouldn’t go into a season planning on him being a starter. 

This off season will be more about re tooling and adding than the last two years. I don’t think we will have to lose any guys we want to keep for salary reasons. I see things working out well with us moving on from long in the tooth guys like rose. 

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah Rose will likely be back. Taylor on the other hand, is likely done. Maston too. 

On O, do the Bombers bring Agudosi back? He would be a real nice replacement for Ellingson. What about Oleary Orange? He'll be hard pressed to get into the starting line up.

According to 3DownNation, Agudosi is still under contract, so I hope we bring him back.

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

My bigger issue with leggs then the 1 point we missed was his punting and kickoffs in the Grey Cup. Especially when the other kicker is a beast. In terms of Placekicking/Converts Bede cost his team more then Leggs did. 

Yes Bede and Leggs.....very similar in a lot of respects

13 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah Rose will likely be back. Taylor on the other hand, is likely done. Maston too. 

On O, do the Bombers bring Agudosi back? He would be a real nice replacement for Ellingson. What about Oleary Orange? He'll be hard pressed to get into the starting line up.

Rose playing on a fractured foot....in a walking boot cleaning out his locker....I would bet he's back and in better shape....Agudosi is a guy we didn't even really get to know because of the injury....I'd say he's going to definitely return...Ellingson on the other hand....hmmmmm becomes expendable IF Lawler returns.....

Edited by Stickem