Whatever week this is - Non B2B Champs games

Geebrr

Look at osh. Look at lapo

Who you running through a brick wall for? 

Lapo just appears to not be a leader and that's ok... I can admit I'm not a great leader either, I don't really like telling others what to do. It's just how I am. A few years back in the Mack Era, I remember the cameras showed lapos pre game speech to the team and it was at that point I realized we'd never win with him as coach EVER. I just thought it was the most uninspiring thing I've ever heard in my life.  He's an ok OC who is scared to take risks... as a head coach, sometimes you have to take risks and never once do I remember lapo doing that but I do recall a few games losing by a few Tds but still kicking FGs. 

Edited by Goalie

6 hours ago, Goalie said:

Look at osh. Look at lapo

Who you running through a brick wall for? 

Lapo just appears to not be a leader and that's ok... I can admit I'm not a great leader either, I don't really like telling others what to do. It's just how I am. A few years back in the Mack Era, I remember the cameras showed lapos pre game speech to the team and it was at that point I realized we'd never win with him as coach EVER. I just thought it was the most uninspiring thing I've ever heard in my life.  He's an ok OC who is scared to take risks... as a head coach, sometimes you have to take risks and never once do I remember lapo doing that but I do recall a few games losing by a few Tds but still kicking FGs. 

The difference between LaPo & John Hufnagel as a HC shown right here. This may be one of the greatest pre game speeches ever. Playing the Als in the 2008 Grey Cup in Montreal at the Big Owe. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

LaPo looks like he may be an analytics guy. Stats may play an important part in what he does as a coach. What works  & what doesn't. What players play well & who doesn't. Who follows instructions & who doesn't. What players as free agents would be a good fit for his team & who wouldn't. He just appears to be wired that way so naturally the rah rah speeches just don't come easily from a guy like that. That could be mistaken fo poor leadership.

I dunno, I;ve never been in the locker room with LaPo to see him interact with his players but he just strikes me as a coach who loves to study film & plot strategy. If he was using analytics in Ottawa then did it ever fail him. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The difference between LaPo & John Hufnagel as a HC shown right here. This may be one of the greatest pre game speeches ever. Playing the Als in the 2008 Grey Cup in Montreal at the Big Owe. 

Always thought this was super cheesy.

And no way in hell MOS has ever done anything close to this. There are all kinds of ways to lead. Lapo just has too much of an ego to let the OC duties go. And, league-wide, that's been shown as an indicator of failure. 

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

And no way in hell MOS has ever done anything close to this. There are all kinds of ways to lead. Lapo just has too much of an ego to let the OC duties go. And, league-wide, that's been shown as an indicator of failure. 

Yeh I think one big part of  MOS' success is having 100% trust in his coordinators... He's the head coach and NOT the DC or OC.

27 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Yeh I think one big part of  MOS' success is having 100% trust in his coordinators... He's the head coach and NOT the DC or OC.

a few years ago, prior to first grey cup, he said in an interview, that he had learned a lot from Ritchie Hall. and  this was when Hall was very unpopular with the fans.

solid.

Edited by Mark F

25 minutes ago, Mark F said:

a few years ago, prior to first grey cup, he said in an interview, that he had learned a lot from Ritchie Hall. and  this was when Hall was very unpopular with the fans.

solid.

Hall is a veteran. Been around forever and even had his own stint as a head coach. Ultimately didn't work out but I am sure there is a ton a guy like that could teach MOS. Hall's biggest issue has always been the prevent D. Works great when you have great players but if the talent level drops off you get a lot of issues.

30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Hall is a veteran. Been around forever and even had his own stint as a head coach. Ultimately didn't work out but I am sure there is a ton a guy like that could teach MOS. Hall's biggest issue has always been the prevent D. Works great when you have great players but if the talent level drops off you get a lot of issues.

I think Hall's D relies on players being impeccably coached, moreso than requiring high-level talent.

We've seen it this year - When guys screw up their responsibilities we get scored on - when everybody plays soundly teams have to grind out the field and it gets really hard to score in the red zone.

I get the impression Hall made for a poor head coach in part because his defense relies on him having a LOT of hands on coaching time with his D... running his system with hands-off coaching just doesn't work.

43 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

I get the impression Hall made for a poor head coach in part because his defense relies on him having a LOT of hands on coaching time with his D... running his system with hands-off coaching just doesn't work.

interesting observation..... 

thanks

Edited by Mark F

25 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Good players screw up less than bad ones...

and well coached players with marginal talent screw up less than poorly coached players with exceptional talent.

Fact - A guy who is always in the right place in the system doesn't need to be as fast or have as good a recognition as a guy who goes to the wrong place (if the system is good)

I will say that it is highly underappreciated how important "coachability" is in making a player into a "good" player - A better teacher/coach can convert more players into "good" players.  A system that's built around solid fundamentals, instead of individual excellence, will be more consistent long term (and result in fewer "screw ups")

1 hour ago, BomberfanMKS said:

I will say that it is highly underappreciated how important "coachability" is in making a player into a "good" player - A better teacher/coach can convert more players into "good" players.  A system that's built around solid fundamentals, instead of individual excellence, will be more consistent long term (and result in fewer "screw ups")

This is the foundation of our Trenches- this is why we are dominant and can always pull through with plug and play, unlike other teams (I'm looking at you green and white).

9 hours ago, Jesse said:

Maybe it is super cheesy but so what as they won the GC as underdogs. Huff's smart. He's been around pro football his entire adult life. He has played & coached for for some of the greatest head coaches around, including Cal Murphy. He's also coached some great qbs in his time. He knows what it takes to win. Super cheesy worked that day. . 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Maybe it is super cheesy but so what as they won the GC as underdogs. Huff's smart. He's been around pro football his entire adult life. He has played & coached for for some of the greatest head coaches around, including Cal Murphy. He's also coached some great qbs in his time. He knows what it takes to win. Super cheesy worked that day. . 

**** the Stamps and anyone who cheers for them.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

**** the Stamps and anyone who cheers for them.

I get it. We're just discussing different coaching styles & what motivates players. And Huffer did throw a TD pass for the Bombers in the 84 Grey Cup. To Joe Pop, I believe. Once he put on that uniform & helmet with that iconic W logo on it for us... However, many years later, I met Huff & we talked about that game & how much winning the Grey Cup with those guys meant to him. Once a Bomber. Always a Bomber. John Hufnagel Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback 1986 | Scott Grant  Photography

John Hufnagel Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback 1983 | Scott Grant  Photography

Edited by SpeedFlex27

10 hours ago, Jesse said:

It fits Hufnagel’s dry humor type personality perfectly though.  The reason it was effective is because it’s so unexpected.

In 1983, we went from Dieter Brock & Nickie Hall as our starting qbs to Tom Clements & John Hufnagel as his backup. I mean Jeezus Christ, talk about an upgrade. With Ray Jauch gone to the USFL & Cal Murphy taking over, the bullshit that was going on at qb was over when Brock was dealt to Hamilton for Clements. Murphy had the same FIFO philosophy that O'Shea has now. . No matter who the player was, if you didn't want to be here you were gone. Players had to be all in or they were out.

Brock wanted his contract renegotiated for more money & missed most of training camp & the opening three or 4 regular season games. He had something like two years remaining. Missing camp & then even when he came back, Brock became a distraction so Murphy traded him. Hall wasn't a very good qb & Murphy wanted an upgrade at the #2 qb position. The Riders were willing to give up Huff so he came here at or just before the trade deadline in in October 1983.Thirteen months later, we were GC champs. 

Brock found out you don't mess with Kindly Cal & in his book, Brock sure had a lot of regrets for his behaviour. I think his agent Gil Scott gave him some bad advice. Being an older Bomber fan here, I appreciate John Hufnagel very much. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27