2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

56 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Congratulations to Cody and his wife Laura on the pending arrival of their son. Hope all goes smoothly, and good on the Riders for letting him leave to attend this huge event in person. 

I know the bar is set low on what we give the Riders org credit for... but literally every team in professional sports would allow their player to attend something like this.

But I do agree with your first comment and wish his family all the best... as much as I love making fun of the riders and their players... that earlier comment about his "wife or his dog" was was pretty low brow/classless

16 hours ago, Mike said:

Riderfans now suggesting they flood the CFL with emails to bring attention to the blatant unfair treatment their team receives from referees 

They’ve completely lost what few brain cells they had left over there. I feel bad for the handful of normals who have to tolerate it from that fan base.

One moron even going so far as suggesting that the legitimacy of the wins/losses should be in doubt because there is probable corruption.

6 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Didn't Westwood get really mad at Andrew Ladd one year when he left the team to the birth of his child.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/former-cfler-pans-winnipeg-jet-for-missing-game-for-baby-s-birth-1.2586015

Former CFLer pans Winnipeg Jet for missing game for baby’s birth

Former CFLer Troy Westwood publicly criticizes Andrew Ladd for missing game for birth of baby

Edited by JCon

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/former-cfler-pans-winnipeg-jet-for-missing-game-for-baby-s-birth-1.2586015

Former CFLer Troy Westwood publicly criticizes Andrew Ladd for missing game for birth of baby

Stupid comment by an imbecile. 

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

I know the bar is set low on what we give the Riders org credit for... but literally every team in professional sports would allow their player to attend something like this.

True, but it is surprising when the media still reports it like it is some big deal to give a player time off, or ask questions to the head coach. Or how fans get bent out of shape. The tide is turning about the acceptability of it as far as athletes go, but it wasn’t too long ago this was still a controversial subject. And not all teams were so acquiescent. This shouldn’t really be a debate, and yet it is. This from only ten years ago:

https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/brad-wilson/2012/11/post_37.html

”Should NFL players miss games because their children are being born?

This uncomfortable issue strode on the national stage this week when Chicago cornerback Charles Tillman said he may miss Sunday night's potential Super Bowl preview with the Houston Texans because his wife is near giving birth. Tillman later said the baby will be born Monday and he'll be ready to play but not before stirring up a significant issue.

Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said in September it would be an easy call for him.

“I'm not missing the birth of my child,” said Roethlisberger to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette. "There’s no chance. I know some fans probably don't want to hear that, but there’s no chance."

The Philadelphia Eagles faced that situation this week with defensive end Darryl Tapp, who did not make the trip to New Orleans so he could be on hand for his daughter's birth.

"(Family) does (come first)," Tapp said. "(The Eagles are) my family, too, but I went and talked to Coach Reid and he sent me away. ‘You've got to take care of this. This is your first one,' he said. I was happy to go but I definitely missed being out there with the guys."

Reid's response to Tapp was the purely human one and the one most people would imagine they'd give. What kind of Gradgrindian boss wouldn't give an employee off for a child's birth?

However, the counter argument is that NFL players are singularly well-compensated to show up 16 times a year and play. Missing a practice or a preseason game for a birth is one thing, but when it comes to games the player should recognize the uniqueness of his work situation and put the game over his family, the argument goes.

That was the philosophy of then-Houston Oilers offensive line coach Bob Young when offensive tackle David Williams missed a game because his wife had given birth the night before.

"This is like World War II when guys were going to war and something would come up but they had to go," Young said. "My wife told me she was having a baby and I said, 'Honey, 

I've got to go play a football game.' David let the guys down, and he let hundreds of thousands of fans down."

Nowadays, it might be OK for a lineman like Williams to miss a game for a childbirth, but if high-profile skill position players did, the outcry from fantasy football sorts would be heard in China.

In any case, the only humane thing to do is, of course, excuse the player for the birth and wish him well. Reid's response to Tapp was the right one, and one that all NFL officials should agree to follow.“

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

But I do agree with your first comment and wish his family all the best... as much as I love making fun of the riders and their players... that earlier comment about his "wife or his dog" was was pretty low brow/classless

not as low as saying I'd cheer for a team of pedo's before the Bombers tho...but I agree....it's fun to mock them...and deservedly so this yr, but players family and and personal accomplishments should always be viewed and commented on as positive

2 hours ago, Booch said:

not as low as saying I'd cheer for a team of pedo's before the Bombers tho...but I agree....it's fun to mock them...and deservedly so this yr, but players family and and personal accomplishments should always be viewed and commented on as positive

Their former GM felt up his baby sitter - so they probably already had to think about it 

Diontae Spencer was released by the NYJ

Edited by Geebrr

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Twitter all "Ooooo....ahhhhhh" about this Cornelius extension as if guaranteed contracts exist. It literally means nothing, and if someone better comes along, they'll toss Corny aside for the next thing.

Yeah as a backup QB it's probably not the worst option but you better believe if a legit qb came along the Lks would be all over it like a fat kid on a smartie.

Just now, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

It's funny, that is exactly what was attempted last year that leads them to where they are now...

I guess maybe there is a plan in place, trust the process, stay the course, blah blah blah.

I'm not a big fan of Chris Jones but would like the Elks to get better to help the CFL as a whole.

My goodness I just stepped out of my BB hardened position. Feels weird. 🙂  

23 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Not saying that Cornelious is the future in Edmonton but I don't think QB's in this day in age get enough time to develop. Seen alot of guys get thrown in get a few games and if they are not spectacular the media and fans think they are garbage. 

I think you make a really good point here. A guy like Rourke steps on the field and automatically delivers probably setting a standard, whether consciously or less consciously for other newer QB's in the league to deliver at his pace shortening the patience given/needed. 

2 hours ago, JCon said:

Westwood was a tool on radio. He really was! Entertaining but yes a Toool!