2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

People don't like Madani because he reports things fans don't like to hear. 

He reports what he wants to hear no matter if it's true or not. The same guy guaranteeing last year that the ratio field size and 3 downs was gone and the merger with the xfl was the only way to survive. 

29 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He reports what he wants to hear no matter if it's true or not. The same guy guaranteeing last year that the ratio field size and 3 downs was gone and the merger with the xfl was the only way to survive. 

That was Naylor and Lalji, more than anyone.... 

We have to be one of the teams on his list.....O'Shea just said recently the kicking game is wide open ..AND why would it be so strange for a 'rider' resident to finish his career here ...He was on our club once upon a time.....Sign him Walters......that's if he's over his nagging injury and is ready to go at tc

Edited by Stickem

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

He's been mostly terrible, out-kicking his coverage, since coming back from the NFL. I don't really have any use for him, unless he's at the league minimum just to come in and compete with Legghio at camp...

League minimum for sure.....Leggs has been improving and Ryan could lose out to him at any rate.....competition would be solid though

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

He's been mostly terrible, out-kicking his coverage, since coming back from the NFL. I don't really have any use for him, unless he's at the league minimum just to come in and compete with Legghio at camp...

Yup. He just bangs it as hard as he can on every attempt. 

I don't have any interest. 

46 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

First of all, what does being gay have to do with anything? Two, who cares?

https://3downnation.com/2022/04/10/first-openly-gay-cfl-player-michael-sam-joins-elfs-barcelona-dragons-as-coach/

If you're honestly curious (no pun intended) its just about representation.

Being gay isn't all that defines Michael Sam, he's more than just a gay man, but he does have the distinction of being the first openly gay football player in the NFL (and CFL), that's just history. It's going to come up when his name does. Sam broke an unofficial barrier that existed in the locker room for a long time

Same way Herb Trawick broke the CFL colour barrier in 1946 (no doubt to the chagrin of many people around the country), this matters to the people who once thought 'I'm on the outside, I'm not allowed in'. It's positive to see people 'like you' out there succeeding despite this thing about them (skin colour, sexual orientation) holding them back. We straight white guys would be unlikely able to relate, because we've seen straight white men in literally every imaginable role since we were born

With all that said being gay has nothing to do with the position he holds, but people who are gay can now point to Sam and say 'he's doing it, maybe I can too'. It matters to someone somewhere, I assure you

Edited by MOBomberFan
typo

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not true at all. I could give you names of 20 former CFL players that went into coaching & were successes. The first being Mike O'Shea. 

I think the "do/teach" comment incorporates that. Meaning that while a player can play- they play, once they can't (too old, injuries or what not), teach. And yeah, Osh embodies that totally. 

On 2022-04-12 at 11:04 AM, Tracker said:

He was pretty much a flop in the CFL. Those who can, do. Those who cannot, teach.

Yes, Sam was but he was still good enough to be drafted by an NFL team. My point is about Sam being gay. Who cares? Fans would have to be pretty naive  to think gay players haven't been playing professionally for as long as these sports have been around. So the "Openly Gay" designation shouldn't even be mentioned but hey, it's 3DN always looking for click bait..

We no longer call Vernon Adams a black qb. Rasheed Bailey a black wide receiver. Brandon Alexander a black safety. Willie Jefferson a black defensive end. Even half a century ago, Adam Bighill would never have been called a white linebacker. I know tht **** Butkus & Ray Nitscke were never referred to that way. Brady Oliviera is no longer called a brown running back.

Sure, 50-60 years ago when players of colour were starting to play certain high profile positions that used to be reserved strictly for white players like QB, Running Back, Cornerback, MLB & Receiver the race card was prevalent, But not today. We still do say players are Americans, Canadians or Internationals in the CFL but that's because of the ratio rules only. It has nothing to do with being gay or race.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

39 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Fans would have to be pretty naive  to think gay players haven't been playing professionally for as long as these sports have been around. So the "Openly Gay" designation shouldn't even be mentioned but hey, it's 3DN always looking for click bait..

The 'open' distinction matters because the gay men that played before felt they had to hide their identities as gay men or possibly face being ostracized or even reviled by players fans and coaches. Of course there were gay athletes, it's really unfortunate they had to live and love in secret.

45 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We no longer call Vernon Adams a black qb. Rasheed Bailey a black wide receiver. Brandon Alexander a black safety. Willie Jefferson a black defensive end. Even half a century ago, Adam Bighill would never have been called a white linebacker. I know tht **** Butkus & Ray Nitscke were never referred to that way. Brady Oliviera is no longer called a brown running back.

Sure, 50-60 years ago when players of colour were starting to play certain high profile positions that used to be reserved strictly for white players like QB, Running Back, Cornerback, MLB & Receiver the race card was prevalent, But not today. We still do say players are Americans, Canadians or Internationals in the CFL but that's because of the ratio rules only. It has nothing to do with being gay or race.

You are making my point about representation right here. One day (hopefully not taking 50-60 years to normalize...) being openly gay will not even be noteworthy and can be left entirely out of the story the same way being black or white is not worth reporting today. Sam is unique in that he is an openly gay professional football coach. Can you name any other openly gay professional football coaches? I don't think anyone can. (Don't say Sandusky)

I'll reiterate nobody here thinks being gay has any bearing in his ability to do the job, any more than it did on his ability to play. In that sense (but maybe only that sense) youre 100% right that being gay doesn't matter.

Going to add too that this is a totally healthy discussion to have, even on a football forum. How else is anyone going to learn or develop or form informed opinions if we can't talk about it or are afraid to say 'I don't get it' or 'I can't relate' as long as we can respect one another there is no taboo subject among friends and scholars  right?