2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

Yeah, regarding that Safety spot....I really think Noah Hallett (he's supposed to be the better of the two) is going to be given every chance in the world to win that spot in camp. Just the way MOS loves his CIS  success stories......he'd love to have a Canuck in there. Having said that, if he doesn't show well, I could definitely see one of the more veteran imports being slid over (Maston, etc...) 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, regarding that Safety spot....I really think Noah Hallett (he's supposed to be the better of the two) is going to be given every chance in the world to win that spot in camp. Just the way MOS loves his CIS  success stories......he'd love to have a Canuck in there. Having said that, if he doesn't show well, I could definitely see one of the more veteran imports being slid over (Maston, etc...) 

Nick was actaully listed as the back-up on the depth chart last season (not that it really means anything).

35 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Certainly is a big guy considering we have usually gone with the smaller stature db guys....He must be quick for his size.....don't like the fact he had an achilles injury BUT guys recover nicely from those nowadays...I'd like to see him in camp.....As for Dobson the road grader.....I like....could make us forget about Eli...Here's hopin'

ACL not achilles

31 minutes ago, Tracker said:

With that size, Rene would seem to be a natural at safety, but picking up the Canadian game may be a bit of time.

He played Canadian ball growing up.

ottawa high school until he transferred to U.S prep school

12 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Stand corrected on the type of injury.....but he did miss a chunk of games because of it

Where did he play in Canada??

in 2019...has played 2 seasons since then

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

I think I can see Streve at the very end of that long road...if you look close

I think Ellingson is an upgrade over Darvin. I just worry about Lawler's position. I keep waiting & hoping we sign someone like Ricky Collins as the pickings are getting slim. I'd like us to sign a veteran DB & Janarion Grant. The other thing is with 8 veterans gone elsewhere & their salaries off the books, why is Edmonton the front runner to sign Sergio Castillo?

I'm not criticizing Walters but I am wondering just what is going on? We have some holes to fill & what are we waiting for? Again, no criticism just a question I'm sure the fanbase is wondering the same thing. I didn't expect us to be crazy in free agency but I did think we'd be more active than this. Willie Jefferson was asking the same thing on twitter yesterday.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think Ellingson is an upgrade over Darvin. I just worry about Lawler's position. I keep waiting & hoping we sign someone like Ricky Collins as the pickings are getting slim. I'd like us to sign a veteran DB & Janarion Grant. The other thing is with 8 veterans gone elsewhere & their salaries off the books, why is Edmonton the front runner to sign Sergio Castillo?

I'm not criticizing Walters but I am wondering just what is going on? We have some holes to fill & what are we waiting for? Again, no criticism just a question I'm sure the fanbase is wondering the same thing. I didn't expect us to be crazy in free agency but I did think we'd be more active than this. Willie Jefferson was asking the same thing on twitter yesterday.

I wouldn't worry about kicker. Last year we went with Legghio as the guy for both jobs. We ended the year with no concerns at kicker.  kicker might be the easiest position to fill. Kicking in the CFL is more or less the same as other leagues.

In Walters We Trust. He hasn't steered us wrong yet. 

As far as the kicking, I really think they believe in Mourtada and Leigghio, and are prepared to go that route for the time being. At some point, it's going to be Legs show.... Just a matter of time. 

The rest of it.... I have faith there's a plan, because they always have a plan. Walters is the best GM in the league by a mile. 

2 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I wouldn't worry about kicker. Last year we went with Legghio as the guy for both jobs. We ended the year with no concerns at kicker.  kicker might be the easiest position to fill. Kicking in the CFL is more or less the same as other leagues.

We were lucky Castillo signed. We probably would have lost the Grey Cup relying on Mourtada to kick 5 field goals. You can't just dismiss kicking as no big deal. It's an integral part of any team's success. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

BJ Cunningham is still on the market,  if healthy he can do some damage. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

We were lucky Castillo signed. We probably would have lost the Grey Cup relying on Mourtada to kick 5 field goals. You can't just dismiss kicking as no big deal. It's an integral part of any team's success. 

Not sure luck has anything to do with it. We had a need and we filled that need. Mourtada was kicking at a high clip right before we replaced him with Castillo. We brought Castillo in so we werent taking any chances.

Were starting this year better than we did last year from the kicking standpoint and Im not worried that we will be able to sign a capable kicker if Mourtada doesn't pan out.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

In Walters We Trust. He hasn't steered us wrong yet. 

This is how I'm feeling too. This time last year there were lots of question marks around DB, and they unearthed a couple of good ones.

Thinking they'll be able to network a few surprises this year. Eli was another great example of unearthing some off the radar talent.

27 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Here is McKnight's highlight video, he's fast but too short to play receiver IMO.  It looks like he could be a good return man if Grant doesn't return.

Too short to be receiver in the CFL? A league that has had Brandon Banks, Chad Owens and Weston Dressler as league leaders in receiving stats in the last 10 years.