CFL Week 1 Games (Non-Bombers) Thread

M.O.A.B.

10 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No I have watched plenty of games, if you think he is throwing the same in ottawa as he was in 2019 here you are out of your ******* mind. Full stop.

2019 until he got hurt, might have been the best football he played as a Bomber....

6 minutes ago, do or die said:

It might help to flashback to the string of superb QB's that directed things, until Nichols showed up.............

I'll fight forever that Joey Elliot coulda been something special with a better team around him.....

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Remember that like 70 yard run in 17? That was gone too. 

The Bombers were a bad team prior to Nichols taking over. He took over we fixed the ol personal and the d improved and suddenly wasn't on the field for most of the game. He was part of us busting out of being a bad team. But was him self sub elite most of his time here. But because people over credit qbs and we went from losing to winning a good size group of bomber fans got married to Nichols. He was the savior like khari single handedly pulling us out of the dregs to a consistent play off team. 

The fan base is soo afraid and hate full of the idea of back slidding that Nichols is like a martyr \ Saint. If he was here and we had the Ottawa win exactly the same people would be arguing he's still a great qb and did enough to win while hurt so he's great. We saw the same discussions after the same kind of games. Weeks 8 9 and 10 in 2019. 1 300 yard game in 2 years but he was elite over that time. But Fajardo and mbt are hot garbage. 

I'd love to see that stat sheet. That team may have had more total yards had a good running game in 92. Must've been Danny Mac or Garza at qb. 

Mike Kelly himself replied to the tweet.  Apparently there was "sideways freezing rain" that day.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

No I have watched plenty of games, if you think he is throwing the same in ottawa as he was in 2019 here you are out of your ******* mind. Full stop.

You are on par if not worse then Riderfans who use their tinted glasses and revisionist history to try to back up your claims.  Nichols in 2021 is the exact same guy as he was in 2018-2019  but now without an all star o-line and RB to help him out and with a further damaged throwing arm.      Hey I loved Khari at one point to but unlike you I can admit and come to reality that in his last days with the Blue he was hot garbage because of the accumulation of injuries on him.   It doesn't mean that Khari was a garbage player and that he sucks... it just means that at a certain point he went from awesome to no longer serviceable in a short period of time. 

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

2019 until he got hurt, might have been the best football he played as a Bomber....

6 of the 9 games he played he tossed for less then 210 yards.       Did you not watch him play in 2017 when he was healthy?  15 of the 17 games he played in he had more then 225 yards passing.     Stats are not everything but come on now he was light years better when he was healthy.        

2019 he played safe football which was perfect for our team because of how great everyone else... but in 2019 he wasn't elite.  He was a game manager which was good for us but don't pretend that if he was the starting qb for Ottawa in 2019 that he would be able to put a team on his back and win games.   

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

Until his injury in 2019, he was the best QB in the league. He was outstanding. Dropping balls everywhere they needed to be, he was running, he was doing it all. His QB efficiency was off the charts. Then he gets pancaked from behind and, it would appear, he hasn't been the same since...

And this is exactly the type of posts that we mock on Riderfans for saying such insane things....  it's the same as  how Rider fans make the same case for Fajardo being the best in the league.    No Nichols was not the best QB in the league in 2019,  jeeze even on here people were making lists of best QBs and slotted Nichols in the 3rd tier  just above the Jennings  / Davis level.   

BLM, Reilly, Evans,  Masoli,  Fajardo,  Adams, Arbuckle were all easily better then him.     Insanity to suggest that he was the best QB in the league in 2019 pre injury.  

29 minutes ago, Brandon said:

You are on par if not worse then Riderfans who use their tinted glasses and revisionist history to try to back up your claims.  Nichols in 2021 is the exact same guy as he was in 2018-2019  but now without an all star o-line and RB to help him out and with a further damaged throwing arm.      Hey I loved Khari at one point to but unlike you I can admit and come to reality that in his last days with the Blue he was hot garbage because of the accumulation of injuries on him.   It doesn't mean that Khari was a garbage player and that he sucks... it just means that at a certain point he went from awesome to no longer serviceable in a short period of time. 

You keep saying Nichols is the same, that is completely false. The way he is throwing this year I can pretty confidently say I think I can throw the ball harder than he can. You keep harping on the Nichols sucks train but he was never this bad when he was a bomber. Also funny you bring up khari, there's another qb that lapo wrecked. He is lucky Durant was such a horse in Saskatchewan.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Tait mentioned it in the write up today too. We ran for 243 yards that day. Basically 300 offensive yards. Wish I could watch a vod of it. 

Another low-passing win from Mike Reilly of all people back in 2015. 7/22 for 49 yards (!), but wins 25-18.

The story: this was the game where Collaros did his ACL and his backup Jeff Mathews threw two pick-sixes.

http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/football/Canadian-football-league-boxscores.aspx?page=/data/CFL/results/2015/boxscore46876.html

44 minutes ago, johnzo said:

for all Nichols has declined, he still gets great accuracy and velocity on the dumps he takes in Brandon's cheerios

And he's still the hottest topic on this forum lol. 

1 minute ago, johnzo said:

Another low-passing win from Mike Reilly of all people back in 2015. 7/22 for 49 yards (!), but wins 25-18.

The story: this was the game where Collaros did his ACL and his backup Jeff Mathews threw two pick-sixes.

http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/football/Canadian-football-league-boxscores.aspx?page=/data/CFL/results/2015/boxscore46876.html

Wild. And another pretty big rushing game. Led by none other than Reilly him self. That's one of the stranger box scores I've seen. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

You are on par if not worse then Riderfans who use their tinted glasses and revisionist history to try to back up your claims. 

First of all...

PlasticDelayedCoyote-size_restricted.gif

No one who cheers for the Big Blue should ever be debased like that... 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Nichols in 2021 is the exact same guy as he was in 2018-2019  but now without an all star o-line and RB to help him out and with a further damaged throwing arm.      

You literally proved @17to85's point while simultaneously undermining your own argument... 

55 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Wild. And another pretty big rushing game. Led by none other than Reilly him self. That's one of the stranger box scores I've seen. 

Also strange fact - the longest ever successful field goal in CFL history was 62 yards by Paul McCallum. To put in perspective of how stupid the Riders' are - on September 28, 1997, they had McCallum attempt (unsuccessfully) an 84 and 79 yard field goal in the same game.

50 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Also strange fact - the longest ever successful field goal in CFL history was 62 yards by Paul McCallum. To put in perspective of how stupid the Riders' are - on September 28, 1997, they had McCallum attempt (unsuccessfully) an 84 and 79 yard field goal in the same game.

I've got super distant memories of this, I think there was some condition preventing the Riders from punting ... maybe their longsnapper was hurt? 

Edited by johnzo

23 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I've got super distant memories of this, I think there was some condition preventing the Riders from punting ... maybe their longsnapper was hurt? 

Probably. I remember a game where they had Westwood kick field goals out of bounds instead of punting because they were scared of the returner. 

28 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Yeah there was a legit reason, I can'tquite remember what it was but it wasn't thinking theywould make it it was a punting replacement. And that 62 yard field goal was massively wind assisted as well.

1 hour ago, Eternal optimist said:

Advanced Rider math.....