2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

5 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I am not convinced that things would not have evolved more in 2021. Don't get me wrong, I think Buck has done a great job, but I think we all know the primary reason for the transformation on O. 

Is Vince Lombardi a legend without Bart Starr? Does Bill Belichek win 6 Super Bowls without Tom Brady? Is Bill Walsh the legend he is without Joe Montana? Does Bud Grant win 4 Grey Cups without Kenny Ploen? Is Frank Clair a 3 time Grey Cup winner in Ottawa without Russ Jackson? Is Hugh Campbell a 5 time Grey Cup winner without Wilkinson & then Moon? Great coaches need great qbs. It's not Buck's fault LaPo took the HC job with the RedBlacks. Buck was dealt a great hand having Zach Collaros as his guy & he took advantage of it. Just like all the great coaches mentioned. That's my take, anyway. Just sayin'. Not trying to lecture.

9 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I am not convinced that things would not have evolved more in 2021. Don't get me wrong, I think Buck has done a great job, but I think we all know the primary reason for the transformation on O. 

However we can just look at Collaros in Saskatchewan and see that it's not just having the qb. You gotta put the guy in a situation to succeed and I feel that Pierce has done that very well for Collaros. He still has some growing to do as an offensive coordinator but as far as year one goes I would call it a big success. 

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

However we can just look at Collaros in Saskatchewan and see that it's not just having the qb. You gotta put the guy in a situation to succeed and I feel that Pierce has done that very well for Collaros. He still has some growing to do as an offensive coordinator but as far as year one goes I would call it a big success. 

Just to note Buck has had to integrate zero new starters into his offence after inheriting a lineup that just won the G.C..  I can't think of another first year O.C. that's ever been dealt such a fortunate hand.

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Just to note Buck has had to integrate zero new starters into his offence after inheriting a lineup that just won the G.C..  I can't think of another first year O.C. that's ever been dealt such a fortunate hand.

Starting with OL. The have to be considered one of the all - time best OLs in the CFL. 

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

He did get dealt a pretty good hand, but he has been without our #1 weapon for most of the year. Even when Harris has been in the lineup, he has been used in different ways. We rarely see the short passes to Harris this year.

It would be nice to reevaluate with a broader body of work and what he can do without an established offense, but he's surpassed my expectations this year. I felt there was likely a bit of a learning curve early in the season, but offense has rarely been a concern this year. Either has defense though.

I have a feeling we were one of the most prepared squads coming into the season. Not only having a lot of the championship-winning team back, but the organization holds itself to high expectations from top to bottom. I'm betting we used 2020 and the extended unofficial 2021 preseason better than any other team. Well organized virtual meetings, players frequently in contact with each other, etc.

On 2021-12-04 at 6:44 AM, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

How Many games has Andrew harris missed? He's had to integrate 2 different rbs and a bunch of wrs for demski and adams. He's had to start a back up qb with no experience and a game with 3rd string ol. 

The offense of 2019 was also not based around collaros and his skill set. The offense this year is heavily adjusted to collaros. 

The 2019 offense struggled a lot it relied on the best kicker ever and a great d to win. He's taken an offense that for years was the worst at going 2 and out overly reliant on pounding Harris into the ground and none stop check downs. 

Buck took that and had the leagues leading passer the highest scoring offense with the most explosion plays. Bill bellicheck says that luck is the residue of hard work. 

Edited by wbbfan

The 2019 offense not being based around the skill set of Collaros...is self explanatory.

The problem I had with the 2019 offense was the overuse of Harris - I think he would have been more effective if the ball had been spread around more

ZC was not here for most of the time that the O was going to and out and Harris was being pounded into the ground - it's comparing apples and oranges. 

I think Buck has done a great job balancing the offense. He could have just relied on Harris like Lapo did in 2019 but Buck made the decision to develop a passing game. 

I'm not an X's and O's guy but it seems that a lot of our passing plays are built on the fact that we have a really good o line. Less slants. More pushing the ball down the field. Fits Collaros really well too. And somehow (partly Collaros, partly the scheme) the risk of interceptions seems low too.

11 hours ago, Mark H. said:

The 2019 offense not being based around the skill set of Collaros...is self explanatory.

The problem I had with the 2019 offense was the overuse of Harris - I think he would have been more effective if the ball had been spread around more

ZC was not here for most of the time that the O was going to and out and Harris was being pounded into the ground - it's comparing apples and oranges. 

Can't spread the ball around when the QB has troubles throwing more then 10 yards and being completely unable to move a pocket. 

On 2021-12-03 at 8:31 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Is Vince Lombardi a legend without Bart Starr? Does Bill Belichek win 6 Super Bowls without Tom Brady? Is Bill Walsh the legend he is without Joe Montana? Does Bud Grant win 4 Grey Cups without Kenny Ploen? Is Frank Clair a 3 time Grey Cup winner in Ottawa without Russ Jackson? Is Hugh Campbell a 5 time Grey Cup winner without Wilkinson & then Moon? Great coaches need great qbs. It's not Buck's fault LaPo took the HC job with the RedBlacks. Buck was dealt a great hand having Zach Collaros as his guy & he took advantage of it. Just like all the great coaches mentioned. That's my take, anyway. Just sayin'. Not trying to lecture.

I get and agree with your point as a whole, both Bill and Tom seem to be doing just fine.

Can’t use either of those guys to prove points about mere mortals.

11 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Haha poor saps don't realize that the lack of explosiveness is because they have a qb who can't throw past 10 yards. I am telling you,  he us a modern day Nealon Greene.

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Imagine going all in on Cody Fajardo.... 

if CF takes a pay cut and they build around him with a solid Oline and 1-2 more deep threat receivers who can make a play on his over thrown ball then that’s a good idea. If he demands $550k+ and they sign Duke for a large contract they will be in the same position that are this year (possibly worse). 

7 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

if CF takes a pay cut and they build around him with a solid Oline and 1-2 more deep threat receivers who can make a play on his over thrown ball then that’s a good idea. If he demands $550k+ and they sign Duke for a large contract they will be in the same position that are this year (possibly worse). 

Under contract for $512,000 next season.

7 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Under contract for $512,000 next season.

Can/will he take a cut to improve the line in front of him is the question. If not then I don’t see a lot of improvement. Look what Bighill did this year just to stay with the Bombers. Took a large cut so they could spend elsewhere and keep the team together.