Covid-19

JCon

15 hours ago, Noeller said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see 5000/day in Alberta. It's going to be brutal...

I'm still holding onto some hope that even though the numbers are high the severity of the illness is decreasing.

However my hope may fade fast as I'm completely in the dark right now about the severity of all this mutations coming out caused by the dumb dense population who were more concerned about their individual rights and freedoms than thinking collectively in how we can get this pandemic under control.  

They’re Already Past the Peak in South Africa’s Omicron Ground Zero
Reuters
Even as the world panics over the rapid spread of the Omicron variant of COVID-19, the health ministry in South Africa has delivered some encouraging news. On Friday, South Africa’s Minister of Health Joe Phaahla said that hospitalizations are down with Omicron cases compared to previous waves like the deadly Delta surge, and that people in the hospital rarely need oxygen and are less likely to die from the disease.

Phaahla told reporters that the country’s hospital admission rate of COVID-19 patients “fell 90 percent in the second week of the current infection wave driven by the Omicron variant” as compared to the second week of the Delta wave. Boiling down the good-for-a-global-pandemic news further, he said that only 1.7 percent of all Omicron cases are being hospitalized, compared to 19 percent of Delta cases earlier in the year.

Since the variant was first identified in South Africa just three weeks ago, it has already peaked in South Africa’s Gauteng province, according to national statistics, with hospitalizations falling sharply. He added that many milder cases were in the hospital because there was space, unlike in other waves when doctors had to choose who lived or died based on occupancy rates.

“We have seen a decrease in a proportion of people who need to be on oxygen. They are at very low levels,” said Waasila Jassat, a researcher at South Africa’s National Institute for Communicable Diseases told Bloomberg. “For the first time there are more non-severe than severe patients in hospital.”

That’s encouraging news if it holds good, keeping in mind it is summer in the southern hemisphere and if anything is known about this pandemic so far, it is that winter weather makes things worse—and that nothing can be taken for granted on this horrific pandemic roller coaster. Australia, also enjoying warmer weather, is reporting a new surge in cases likely tied to Omicron, though fewer hospitalizations than in previous waves.

'Unprecedented political interference': Bombshell House report finds Trump Admin 'undermined' COVID response

A massive, bombshell report published Friday by the House Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis reveals the Trump administration engaged in "unprecedented political interference" in the work of scientific experts, including at CDC, and "was responsible for a series of critical failures that undermined the nation’s ability to respond effectively to the coronavirus pandemic."

One heading from the 46-page report reads: "The Trump Administration’s Persistent Political Interference in the Pandemic Response Contributed to One of the Worst Failures of Leadership in American History."

In a devastating revelation the report adds that "Trump Administration officials purposefully weakened" CDC's "testing guidance to reduce the amount of testing being conducted and obscure how rapidly the virus was spreading across the country."

The Select Committee finds administration officials "championed a dangerous 'herd immunity' strategy inside the White House—including by arranging a roundtable event between then-President Trump and a fringe group of herd immunity proponents—that would have placed millions of lives at risk."

It alleges it has new evidence showing that "Trump White House officials blocked CDC briefings and media appearances, and attempted to sidestep CDC in finalizing coronavirus guidance. The Select Subcommittee also uncovered evidence showing that Trump White House officials neglected the pandemic response to focus on the 2020 presidential election and promote the Big Lie that the election results were fraudulent."

But the Trump administration's failures date back to the very beginning of the pandemic, the reports reveals, with the administration ignoring warnings from its own officials to obtain critical supplies including PPE (personal protective equipment) which ultimately led to medical professionals including doctors and nurses being forced to wear trash bags and reuse medical-grade face masks for days and weeks at a time.

The report often avoids accusing specific individuals but in one damning example it says career scientists were "instructed to destroy evidence of political interference."

A "CDC official confirmed...she was instructed to destroy evidence of political interference by a Trump Administration political appointee. The CDC official told the Select Subcommittee that she understood this instruction—which 'seemed unusual' and made her 'uncomfortable'—came from then-CDC Director [Robert] Redfield.

The report also delves in to massive fraud and waste, and while not using the word "corruption " offers concerning examples of the administration's interference in coronavirus programs. Trump White House officials were involved in the approval process of the Treasury' Department's approval of a $700 million loan to one trucking company.

"Reports have raised serious doubts that [the trucking company] satisfied the criteria to be deemed 'critical' to national security and questioned its use of funds." That one loan represented 95 percent of the entire program's funding.

'Unprecedented political interference': Bombshell House report finds Trump Admin 'undermined' COVID response - Alternet.org

Please don't freak out when the cases start rising quickly in the next while, as has been said before keep an eye on the hospital admissions and icu counts. If you have 2 shots you have moderate protection from the virus and being laid up in a hospital, and a booster gives you even more protection still doesn't mean you won't get the virus hell you might of already had the virus and you didn't know.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes, we'll carry the load while the pro-Covid crowd thumbs their nose. Every time. 

You can't shame the un shameable as I have said they don't care about any but themselves and they certainly don't care about front line workers who some will depend on to keep them alive

9 minutes ago, bustamente said:

You can't shame the un shameable as I have said they don't care about any but themselves and they certainly don't care about front line workers who some will depend on to keep them alive

When you believe or are told that Jesus will protect you and that any admission of needing vaccination is an admission of lack of faith, dooming you to eternal lakes of fire, you gotta go with it. Delegating your thinking to others is not only stupid, it is cowardice.

Edited by Tracker

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

When you believe or re told that Jesus will protect you and that any admission of needing vaccination is an admission of lack of faith, dooming you to eternal lakes of fire, you gotta go with it.

So that's what that means when I hear someone say 'In good conscience and my faith in God' when it comes to not taking the vaccination.

Good to know. 

56 minutes ago, JCon said:

This is what has been keeping me as locked down as I have been since the start of the pandemic. Waiting till my 8 month old can get vaxxed. See how it turns out with producing an Omicron-specific vaccine for the little ones. On the plus side, I got my booster today!

39 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Roussin knows how to sanitize his hands the health minister does not

One of them cares the other one doesn't.