Covid-19

JCon

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

Thoughts and prayers to those he got killed. 

The scary, frustrating, maddening thing about this is I bet all this does is strengthen his followers resolve. This is because we live in a world where a minority of people live in an alternate reality driven by extreme dumbness, stupidity and in lot of cases severe mental health issues. The ironic part is these same people will use these exact words to describe the majority of us who live in the real world who, as Adam Grant would say, we regularly recognize our biases and give serious consideration to proven facts even though they sometimes contradict our hopes and beliefs. We weigh the strongest evidence more heavily is how we define a balanced argument. 

^^ These people exist in all walks of life, and in all cultures. When you have medical professionals and educators who will lose their job rather than get jabbed or take rapid tests, it's pretty damn hard to convince a hesitant lay person to get vaccinated. They see it when they or someone else gets really sick, when it's usually too late. 

Omicron Coronavirus Variant Found In The U.S.

A person in California has the nation’s first confirmed case of the new omicron coronavirus variant, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Wednesday.

The unidentified individual was a traveler who returned from South Africa to the U.S. on Nov. 22. The case was confirmed by the California and San Francisco departments of public health, the CDC said.

“The individual, who was fully vaccinated and had mild symptoms that are improving, is self-quarantining and has been since testing positive. All close contacts have been contacted and have tested negative,” the CDC said in a statement.

In related news, Mark Meadows, Trump's fourth and final chief of staff, has decided to cooperate with the committee investigating the January 6th insurrection. He has disclosed ongoing contact between the White House and the rioters prior to and during the insurrection, but of note, he reported that Trump had been diagnosed with COVID three days prior to the debate with Biden and met with Gold Star families as well, probably infecting many.

-Pfizer has reported that initial testing indicates that their vaccines are only a little less effective against the Omicron variant than the current ones (90% vs 95%).

-Initial reports from hospital treating the Omicron variant state that, although it is more easily transmitted, it appears that it produces no more than the symptoms of a mild influenza infection. So far, its impact on those with compromised immune systems is unknown,

Edited by Tracker

8 hours ago, Mark H. said:

^^ These people exist in all walks of life, and in all cultures. When you have medical professionals and educators who will lose their job rather than get jabbed or take rapid tests, it's pretty damn hard to convince a hesitant lay person to get vaccinated. They see it when they or someone else gets really sick, when it's usually too late. 

I am part of an organization with multiple branches in Manitoba ,one of which is mine. The head of this organization has been involved for over 40 years in it. I studied under  that person for many many years.I had a great deal of respect and admiration for  them.But they have fallen down the rabbit hole of anti mask/Vax. That means the 30 + people in that branch are out of luck. So after 40 years they are willing to ignore a life's work and at least temporarily close the branch. Frankly I don't understand it. Meanwhile my branch continues on. I am considering my options as far as my association with the organization.  I'm sorry this is all so vague but I'm not willing to give details out. Just voicing  my frustration and disappointment. 

Edited by the watcher

7 minutes ago, the watcher said:

PI am part of an organization with multiple branches in Manitoba ,one of which is mine. The head of this organization has been involved for over 40 years in it. I studied under  that person for many many years.I had a great deal of respect and admiration for  them.But they have fallen down the rabbit hole of anti mask/Vax. That means the 30 + people in that branch are out of luck. So after 40 years they are willing to ignore a life's work and at least temporarily close the branch. Frankly I don't understand it. Meanwhile my branch continues on. I am considering my options as far as my association with the organization.  I'm sorry this is all so vague but I'm not willing to give details out. Just voicing  my frustration and disappointment. 

It seems to come to a point where the image of being a professional organization can no longer be projected - regardless of how competent an individual may be otherwise.

And this type of 'shut down reaction' will often reinforce the unfounded beliefs of that individual - 'they are coming for me now, just as predicted.'

One day they'll see that there's no rabbits in the hole and no light at the end of the end of the tunnel - by then the damage will be done. 

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

It seems to come to a point where the image of being a professional organization can no longer be projected - regardless of how competent an individual may be otherwise.

And this type of 'shut down reaction' will often reinforce the unfounded beliefs of that individual - 'they are coming for me now, just as predicted.'

One day they'll see that there's no rabbits in the hole and no light at the end of the end of the tunnel - by then the damage will be done. 

The history of fanatical groups tells us that no matter how much incontrovertible proof there is that gainsays their belief system, they will not change. They will simply deny the validity of the evidence, attack the bearer of the news or ascribe the information to an hostile, malevolent entity- Satan, a pedophile ring, commies or whoever.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

The history of fanatical groups tells us that no matter how much incontrovertible proof there is that gainsays their belief system, they will not change. They will simply deny the validity of the evidence, attack the bearer of the news or ascribe the information to an hostile, malevolent entity- Satan, a pedophile ring, commies or whoever.

And the real masterminds behind all the crap - are raking it in and laughing their butts off. It's 99% click bait. 

I do wonder how many more people are going to have to get sick or die before we clamp down again. It seems like the PC government believes that these are just collateral damages to their wish to keep their core voters happy. Mao Tse-Tung once said that 600,000 dead is not too high a price to pay for 10 years of peace. This feels like the same sort of thinking.

You have to think that with only 2.5% TP in Winnipeg, which is MOST of Manitoba....things aren't that bad, in the big picture. The balance is trying to allow all those people who got vaccinated to have the freedom they deserve with cracking down on the crazies who are prolonging the problem. You have to mass-vaccinate the north and south, and all of a sudden, Manitoba looks pretty good. As it is, if you stay within the city, you're more than fine. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

You have to think that with only 2.5% TP in Winnipeg, which is MOST of Manitoba....things aren't that bad, in the big picture. The balance is trying to allow all those people who got vaccinated to have the freedom they deserve with cracking down on the crazies who are prolonging the problem. You have to mass-vaccinate the north and south, and all of a sudden, Manitoba looks pretty good. As it is, if you stay within the city, you're more than fine. 

It's not quite that simple.  Vaccinated people who visit places where there is a heavy viral load, are still going to pick up the virus and get sick.

Those places in all parts of the province, including Winnipeg.  And, plenty of people from the North and the South visit Winnipeg

Some people will never get vaxxed.  Covid will eventually find its way into those pockets, and literally wreak havoc. 

I’d say avoid a lockdown, but make vax cards mandatory for entry into any place, be it a grocery store, theatre, restaurant, inside of a gas station. Of you don’t want the responsibility of vaccinating to protect others, you lose the privilege (it’s not a right) to attend certain places. New Zealand enforced this and when asked if she was creating different rules for those who did not comply with the vaccination demands versus those who did, the PM matter-of-factor said “yes, that’s exactly what I am doing” with zero apologizing. As it should be. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd like to see real enforcement in Southern Health. I know there are cases everywhere but when an area with 15% of the provincial population is giving you anywhere from 33-40+% of the cases, over 40% of hospitalizations and 50-60% of ICU cases, you need to start there.

This area is the heartland of unquestioning PC support, so harsh restrictions are unlikely.

14 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I’d say avoid a lockdown, but make vax cards mandatory for entry into any place, be it a grocery store, theatre, restaurant, inside of a gas station. Of you don’t want the responsibility of vaccinating to protect others, you lose the privilege (it’s not a right) to attend certain places. New Zealand enforced this and when asked if she was creating different rules for those who did not comply with the vaccination demands versus those who did, the PM matter-of-factor said “yes, that’s exactly what I am doing” with zero apologizing. As it should be. 

I might have said this is too harsh before, but there are a lot of people who's lives are being severely harmed by the threat of Covid - those who are immunocompromised and cannot be vaccinated, people with young kids that cannot be vaccinated, elderly people that still have significant risk of infection despite being vaccinated, anyone who expects to have a functioning healthcare system for when they need it.

My grandfather recently passed away in a nursing home. Despite being vaccinated and members of his family being vaccinated, visitation and other care was greatly restricted. There are many vulnerable people like him that have had pretty shitty lives the past couple of years, even after getting vaccinated.

It is well overdue for the unvaxxed to bear the brunt of the pandemic and restrictions. Many of them have flaunted lockdown restrictions and have extended the pandemic, made it more dangerous for vulnerable people and caused harm to businesses and the economy. I still think they should have a choice to be vaccinated and I think privileges being taken away might lead to even stronger anti-vax views, but it is more about removing a danger from society than encouraging them to get vaccinated at this point.

1 minute ago, WildPath said:

I might have said this is too harsh before, but there are a lot of people who's lives are being severely harmed by the threat of Covid - those who are immunocompromised and cannot be vaccinated, people with young kids that cannot be vaccinated, elderly people that still have significant risk of infection despite being vaccinated, anyone who expects to have a functioning healthcare system for when they need it.

My grandfather recently passed away in a nursing home. Despite being vaccinated and members of his family being vaccinated, visitation and other care was greatly restricted. There are many vulnerable people like him that have had pretty shitty lives the past couple of years, even after getting vaccinated.

It is well overdue for the unvaxxed to bear the brunt of the pandemic and restrictions. Many of them have flaunted lockdown restrictions and have extended the pandemic, made it more dangerous for vulnerable people and caused harm to businesses and the economy. I still think they should have a choice to be vaccinated and I think privileges being taken away might lead to even stronger anti-vax views, but it is more about removing a danger from society than encouraging them to get vaccinated at this point.

I am sorry for your loss. There have been /will be many mental health challenges because of the forced distancing. It is galling that so many who screamed about lockdowns and overreactions and restrictions to their freedom of movement now have a vaccine that can allow for their lives to return to some sense of normalcy and avoid all that, and these same people  refuse to take it. 

A 3-year-old went for a flu shot. Instead, she mistakenly got an adult COVID-19 vaccine

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/brandon-girl-wrongly-vaccinated-covid-19-1.6271286

Must have been the same person who handed Alec Baldwin a gun.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/naci-strongly-recommends-covid-19-boosters-for-people-over-50-1.5692114