Covid-19

JCon

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

so just out of curiosity, what are you folks doing in terms of Christmas gatherings? Aare you cancelling everything altogether, and staying within your own household? Limited gatherings outside household? No change at all? 

Just curious how others are approaching Omicron and Christmas...

With the exception of last year, I host a Xmas Eve dinner with my wife and kids, my mom, grandma and my in-laws. I prepare everything from scratch, including the bread to make my stuffing. It's a ton of work but it brings me happiness (usually). 

We have decided again to host it. My mother and grandmother are triple vaxxed but not my in-laws yet. We debated up until last week about whether or not to host it. Even yesterday we were discussing the situation. 

I am very uneasy about it. 

Edited by JCon

1 minute ago, JCon said:

With the exception of last year, I host a Xmas Eve dinner with my wife and kids, my mom, grandma and my in-laws. I prepare everything from scratch, including the bread to make my stuffing. It's a ton of work but it brings me happiness (usually). 

We have decided to again to host it. My mother and grandmother are triple vaxxed but not my in-laws yet. We debated up until last week about whether or not to host it. Even yesterday we were discussing the situation. 

I am very uneasy about it. 

we've got my inlaws and one straggler. 5 adults, no kids. Everyone triple vaxxed. I'm still really uneasy about it. Going to MB on Monday to visit various people (all triple vaxxed) and EXTREMELY uneasy about that. My wife is relatively safe and vaxxed, but refuses to cut back on social gatherings after being "locked down" last year, so we're at odds, to say the least. I just want to hide under a pile of coats and someone call me when it's all over. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

we've got my inlaws and one straggler. 5 adults, no kids. Everyone triple vaxxed. I'm still really uneasy about it. Going to MB on Monday to visit various people (all triple vaxxed) and EXTREMELY uneasy about that. My wife is relatively safe and vaxxed, but refuses to cut back on social gatherings after being "locked down" last year, so we're at odds, to say the least. I just want to hide under a pile of coats and someone call me when it's all over. 

If it weren't for the kids, I would not be hosting it. But, other than my grandma, these are all people within our regular sphere of people. And, my grandma sees my mom frequently, My mother and kids are the highest risk of contracting Covid, due to school and my mom's workplace. 

25 minutes ago, Noeller said:

so just out of curiosity, what are you folks doing in terms of Christmas gatherings? Aare you cancelling everything altogether, and staying within your own household? Limited gatherings outside household? No change at all? 

I try to survive with two young kids who will be given lots of candies/chocolates from family and no school or activities for them all while working from home.   I may need to reload on booze to make it through the holidays.  

Other then that the family gatherings this year will be limited since half my family is away on vacation so each visit is with ten or less people.  

33 minutes ago, Noeller said:

We're still on the fence.  May have the in-laws over for Christmas day.  Usually spend time with my side of the family on Boxing Day, leaning heavily towards cancelling that one though.

The bigger issue for me is the step-children who will be spending time with 2 families on their dad's side.  Would prefer that they didn't do that, but don't really have a say.

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I try to survive with two young kids who will be given lots of candies/chocolates from family and no school or activities for them all while working from home.   I may need to reload on booze to make it through the holidays.  

Other then that the family gatherings this year will be limited since half my family is away on vacation so each visit is with ten or less people.  

200.gif?cid=ecf05e47iprdh3e0sn0xik59u6ue

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Staying close to home with a very limited gathering of family and friends. This sucks, but if this is the price for both staying safe (wife is immuno-compromised) and keeping others safe, so be it. 

Will be very interesting to see when Omicron takes over from Delta what the hospitalization numbers become, cases and tpr's are rapidly shooting upwards so the next weeks especially after the holidays should be tell us if more strict restrictions will be put in place or even the possibility of another lockdown

I'm double vaxxed. Not eligible for booster yet (which some reports say may not be the best thing) (I'll get it when I can tho) 

Parents are fully vaxxed (booster) so that makes me feel better about our 8 adult 2 7 year Olds and 1 4 year old Xmas gathering.  I mean...  prob 3 dogs too lol. But. See them multiple times a week now and ya... cousins are cohorts and single vaxxed (obv 4 yr old is not) 1 adult is not but... rapid testing foe work for that person 

Edited by Goalie

My wife and I are both triple vaxed. We will be seeing our kids and grandkids. All of them who are eligible are double or triple vaxed. 

I look at it this way : Covid is going nowhere. It will be here for years in my opinion. I will take whatever precautions I can but draw the line at family and close friends. I am willing to take the risk to be with my family and a few select friends. My wife works in healthcare, several of my kids are teachers. If we/ they  are willing to be exposed for our jobs and money, I am willing to be exposed to socialize with them. It's just as essential in my opinion.

28 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This is an odd thing to say but take a drive to Winkler if you need to be tested.  My wife and I have both been tested in the last 10 days. ( negative results )  When I went there were 3 cars at the drive through. When my wife went we were the only ones. We were a max of 10 minutes pulling in to pulling out.  Maybe it's busier now but the theory in Winkler seems to be if you don't get tested you don't have Covid. 

30 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

If only we had access to rapid tests to lower the burden on the testing infrastructure. Oh well.

Yeah, AB just announced this afternoon that they're running out of PCR tests, so they want people to use the RATs as their test if they're symptomatic, and to follow the isolation requirements immediately, and not go for a follow up PCR test. AB started handing out free RATs last week, and it's been like Hunger Games trying to get them. Every pharmacy and AHS location is empty as soon as they come in. Lines a mile long. I'm hoping to get some for my trip home next week. I'm convinced the wife and I are both going to get it, just a matter of time. Praying that it's mild and the long term side effects aren't life-altering...

45 minutes ago, the watcher said:

This is an odd thing to say but take a drive to Winkler if you need to be tested.  My wife and I have both been tested in the last 10 days. ( negative results )  When I went there were 3 cars at the drive through. When my wife went we were the only ones. We were a max of 10 minutes pulling in to pulling out.  Maybe it's busier now but the theory in Winkler seems to be if you don't get tested you don't have Covid. 

Might be a good way to lower test positivity % for Southern Health too.