Covid-19

JCon

Omicron Is Now The Dominant COVID-19 Variant In The U.S.
NEW YORK (AP) — Omicron has raced ahead of other variants and is now the dominant version of the coronavirus in the U.S., accounting for 73% of new infections last week, federal health officials said Monday.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention numbers showed nearly a six-fold increase in omicron’s share of infections in only one week.

In much of the country, omicron’s prevalence is even higher. It’s responsible for an estimated 90% of new infections in the New York area, the Southeast, the industrial Midwest and the Pacific Northwest.

Since the end of June, the delta variant has been the main version causing U.S. infections. As recently as the end of November, more than 99.5% of coronaviruses were delta, according to CDC data.

Scientists in Africa first sounded the alarm about omicron less than a month ago and on Nov. 26 the World Health Organization designated it as a “variant of concern.” The mutant has since shown up in about 90 countries.

Omicron Is Now The Dominant COVID-19 Variant In The U.S. | HuffPost Latest News

Dallas QAnon ‘Cult’ Is Now Drinking Terrifying Chemical Cocktail, Family Says
-Reuters
QAnon acolytes in Dallas are now drinking toxic chemicals from a communal punch bowl, according to the family of a woman who joined the Texas “cult” that’s waiting for the supposed resurrection of President John F. Kennedy and his late son, JFK Jr.

Numerous members of the Leek family told the Dallas Observer that the woman, who reportedly abandoned her husband and children in Delaware last month to follow Trump-supporting QAnon leader Michael Brian Protzman to Dallas, has been quaffing a mixture containing chlorine dioxide—industrial bleach—which she apparently distributes among the group.

“She was proud to tell us that she was the one mixing it up and giving it to everybody,” one of her relatives told the outlet.

The woman got into the QAnon movement back in 2018, said her son, Sean Leek, who was unable to be reached by The Daily Beast on Monday. While the family didn’t specify why the group was drinking the potent chemical mixture, they said their relative is an ardent anti-vaxxer.

“She’s always been into, you know, natural remedies, getting aluminum out of deodorant, things like that,” Leek said in a Dec. 10 interview. “But that led to anti-vaxxing, and anti-vaxxing led to QAnon.”

According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), chlorine dioxide has “not been shown to be safe and effective for any use, including COVID-19, but these products continue to be sold as a remedy for treating autism, cancer, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis and flu, among other conditions, despite their harmful effects.”

It is sold online under various names, including “Miracle Mineral Solution,” “Miracle Mineral Supplement,” “Master Mineral Solution,” and “Chlorine Dioxide Protocol.” Ingestion can lead to respiratory failure, potentially fatal abnormal heart rhythms, life-threateningly low blood pressure, acute liver failure, and the rapid destruction of red blood cells. Members of a Florida family hawking chlorine dioxide through their Genesis II Church of Health and Healing in Bradenton were arrested by federal agents in 2020. They reportedly earned more than $1 million from sales of their “miracle” elixir.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

Dallas QAnon ‘Cult’ Is Now Drinking Terrifying Chemical Cocktail, Family Says
-Reuters
QAnon acolytes in Dallas are now drinking toxic chemicals from a communal punch bowl, according to the family of a woman who joined the Texas “cult” that’s waiting for the supposed resurrection of President John F. Kennedy and his late son, JFK Jr.

Numerous members of the Leek family told the Dallas Observer that the woman, who reportedly abandoned her husband and children in Delaware last month to follow Trump-supporting QAnon leader Michael Brian Protzman to Dallas, has been quaffing a mixture containing chlorine dioxide—industrial bleach—which she apparently distributes among the group.

“She was proud to tell us that she was the one mixing it up and giving it to everybody,” one of her relatives told the outlet.

The woman got into the QAnon movement back in 2018, said her son, Sean Leek, who was unable to be reached by The Daily Beast on Monday. While the family didn’t specify why the group was drinking the potent chemical mixture, they said their relative is an ardent anti-vaxxer.

“She’s always been into, you know, natural remedies, getting aluminum out of deodorant, things like that,” Leek said in a Dec. 10 interview. “But that led to anti-vaxxing, and anti-vaxxing led to QAnon.”

According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), chlorine dioxide has “not been shown to be safe and effective for any use, including COVID-19, but these products continue to be sold as a remedy for treating autism, cancer, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis and flu, among other conditions, despite their harmful effects.”

It is sold online under various names, including “Miracle Mineral Solution,” “Miracle Mineral Supplement,” “Master Mineral Solution,” and “Chlorine Dioxide Protocol.” Ingestion can lead to respiratory failure, potentially fatal abnormal heart rhythms, life-threateningly low blood pressure, acute liver failure, and the rapid destruction of red blood cells. Members of a Florida family hawking chlorine dioxide through their Genesis II Church of Health and Healing in Bradenton were arrested by federal agents in 2020. They reportedly earned more than $1 million from sales of their “miracle” elixir.

I don't know if this is bad news or not. Sometimes lemmings do less damage to everything around them  if they run off the cliff straight away. 

( and yes I know the whole lemming thing was BS )

Edited by the watcher

Manitoba announced 302 new cases of #COVID19 and no additional deaths on Tuesday, Dec. 21, 2021.
 Active cases: 2,316
 Total caseload: 71,888
 Recovered: 68,206
 Deaths: 1,366

The seven-day average daily #COVID19 case count in Manitoba rises by 19 cases to 253.
 That's the highest running average since June 9.

Manitoba #COVID19 patients in hospital: 133 (down 4)
 In ICU: 26 (down 1)
 Total patients in ICU (COVID and non-COVID): 90 (up 1)

Five-day Manitoba #COVID19 test-positivity rate: 8.6  per cent (up 0.6 percentage points)
 Tests completed Monday: 3,485

42 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Really good read. If anyone wants i can pdf the article.

Today is our last day, and we are back on Jan. 6th. Weird to start with a two day week, but it is what it is.

I am not sure why Friday Dec. 17 couldn't have been the last day, and then start on up Monday Jan. 3

But what do I know?  I'm just a teacher. 

Edit: apparently we're back on Jan. 10th

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Today is our last day, and we are back on Jan. 6th. Weird to start with a two day week, but it is what it is.

I am not sure why Friday Dec. 17 couldn't have been the last day, and then start on up Monday Jan. 3

But what do I know?  I'm just a teacher. 

Edit: apparently we're back on Jan. 10th

To me it makes sense it wouldn't be fair to start school so soon after New Years Day

21 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It's better than having school 2 days before Christmas Eve.

IDK about your division, but we are expected to report to work on Jan. 6th, but no kids until Jan. 10th

yes the staff does report on January 6th but I work part time (3 five hour work days per week) (and yes I know this doesn't make sense either about having school 2 days before the 24th)

Edited by iHeart

Manitoba announced 400 new cases of #COVID19 and 2 more deaths on Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2021.
 Active cases: 2,622
 Total caseload: 72,283
 Recovered: 68,293
 Deaths: 1,368

That's the highest single-day count since May 28.

The seven-day average daily case count rises to 281.
 Highest since June 6.

Manitoba #COVID19 patients in hospital: 137 (up 4)
 In ICU: 24 (down 2)
 Total patients in ICU (COVID and non-COVID): 87 (down 3)

Five-day Manitoba #COVID19 test-positivity rate: 9.9 per cent (up 1.3 percentage points)
 Winnipeg rate: 10.6 per cent
 Tests completed Tuesday: 3,524

The latest Manitobans to succumb to #COVID19:
- A Winnipeg man in his 50s
- A Southern man in his 70s

Regional breakdown of new Manitoba #COVID19 cases:
 256 Winnipeg
 54 Prairie Mountain
 51 Southern 
 31 Interlake-Eastern
 8 Northern

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg