Covid-19

JCon

'A major milestone': Pfizer's COVID pill is a huge step forward — but it will be 'scarce' at first

The United States on Wednesday authorized Pfizer Inc’s antiviral COVID-19 pill for at-risk people aged 12 and above, making it the first oral treatment and which can be taken at home, providing a potentially important tool in the fight against the fast-spreading Omicron variant.

Pfizer’s antiviral regimen, Paxlovid, was nearly 90 percent effective in preventing hospitalizations and deaths in patients at high risk of severe illness, according to data from the company’s clinical trial. Recent lab data suggests the drug retains its effectiveness against Omicron, Pfizer said.

“We’re talking about a staggering number of lives saved and hospitalizations prevented. And of course, if you deploy this quickly after infection, we are likely to reduce transmission dramatically,” Pfizer Chief Scientific Officer Mikael Dolsten said, calling it “a stunning outcome.”

Pfizer raised its 2022 production projections to 120 million courses of treatment from 80 million and said it was ready to start immediate delivery in the United States. The treatment’s two-drug regimen includes a new medicine and a second older antiviral called ritonavir.

READ: Trump is rapidly moving toward a confession about his high crimes against America

“Paxlovid’s approval is a major milestone that marks another step towards making COVID-19 a much more manageable infection,” said Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Institute for Health Security.

“There are two key issues, however, that remain: It will be scarce in the coming weeks and its optimal use requires prompt diagnosis, which can be difficult with the continual testing problems that plague us,” Adalja added.

KN95 masks are being given out at Audrey Gordon's PC office on Fermor. No lines. I happened to be headed to my doctor's office and noticed people getting boxes from there. A few buildings over long lines for liquor mart. I haven't been able to find any information on this or if they are available through other PC party offices. They did mention that it was a gift when they gave me the box of masks at the door.

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Winnipeg was trending down, now Winnipeg is strongly in the lead again

The only thing they could have done is keep all travelers out, which is not feasible.

That's  why moats were created. We already have Duff's ditch, so we are halfway there aleady.

Edited by Tracker

122,000 positive tests in the UK yesterday

22,000 in Germany

Pretending any country can isolate let alone a city is ridiculous. You can't keep all " travelers " out because those travelers among other things bring you food, clothing, medicine......all the essentials of life.

One of the reasons this pandemic will be around for years is because we humans have made imaginary borders that the virus ignores. There are impoverished  countries that have %5 vaccination rates. When Omicron is done with us there will be another variant coming along. There are things that would help.

1- countries need to send about to expire vaccines to countries in need. It's millions of doses being thrown out.

2- The patents need to be removed from Covid vaccines. 

3- A war needs to be declared against Covid. Put the multi country  joint effort into killing Covid that we put into killing people. Quit viewing this as Canada, USA, UK, or whatever country you live in fighting against Covid.

I'm sure there are other efforts that would help but those 3 are my suggestion. 

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Republican lawmakers pass laws to restrict the power of health authorities to require masks, promote vaccinations and take other steps to protect the public health.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/12/25/covid-public-health-laws-restricted/

USA USA USA 

Unbelievably Stupid Assholes 

Edited by Goalie

12 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

My neighbor is a pro Trump, climate change denying , anti- vaxxer who is currently undergoing cancer treatments. His wife also has a severe , debilitating auto immune disease. Neither of course are vaccinated against Covid. By the way both are University graduates. Not alot of logic there.

26 minutes ago, the watcher said:

My neighbor is a pro Trump, climate change denying , anti- vaxxer who is currently undergoing cancer treatments. His wife also has a severe , debilitating auto immune disease. Neither of course are vaccinated against Covid. By the way both are University graduates. Not alot of logic there.

You cannot challenge an emotional decision with logic. Its like using architecture to explain dance.

2 hours ago, the watcher said:

I have been noticing this for quite some time. It is not exclusive to the poorly educated or the religious, it exists in most groups of people, and in all walks of life.