CFL Player Award predictions

TrueBlue4ever

I'm not a big fan of how things were handled. The people who voted against Harris for top Canadian should be ashamed of themselves.  Their job is to pick the best player in the category not to make some sort of moral statement.  And it is certainly not  their job to collude the way that they did.  Clearly the anti-Harris vote in this category colluded to not only make sure Harris didn't win but also to make sure they sent some sort of additional message by picking a player who wouldn't be one of the top 3 Canadians on the team at the very least. They should all have their voting rights revoked. They turned this whole situation into a debacle and really they've embarrassed Miller.   And unlike John Scott, Miller doesn't seem to have a sense of humor about this sort of thing.

Edited by Colin Unger

8 hours ago, Zontar said:

Journalists.  Your moral and intellectual superiors.

Now you can see how easy it was for Trudeau to buy journalists off. At least Bob Irving did the right thing.  I can only imagine what jack Matheson would have said if he was alive today.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 hours ago, fan4life said:

If Harris has contract incentives for being most outstanding Canadian, I hope the organization steps up and pays that incentive regardless.   Players around the league will know we support our players. 

I hope they step up and pay a bona fide  #1 QB soon..... this is about winning championships.... not individual players.

In all likelihood we will see the CFL make it so that a player suspended for PED's is ineligible for individual awards.  Personally I think they should take it a step forward and disallow all players who embarrass the league (i.e. Speedy Banks for Recreational Drugs and Hughes for a DUI).  The offending player should be good to go the next season as long as there isn't another violation.

Clarity and consistency would benefit everyone.

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

I like Bauming because he seems to have a real interest in the CFL,  however on the radio at times he sounds really fake and cliché....    Sadly when it comes to Bomber coverage Westwood seems to be the most genuine. 

I can't disagree enough. Bauming was passionate but is so ill-equipped for any analysis. He just repeats what the coaches or real analysts point out. Westwood is just a fan. He offers no insight beyond how the dressing room reacted to things 20 years ago.

The only one worth anything on that station is Walby. He's great. I also like when they have Landry and Cuthbert on. They're good. 

33 minutes ago, mfranc said:

In all likelihood we will see the CFL make it so that a player suspended for PED's is ineligible for individual awards.  Personally I think they should take it a step forward and disallow all players who embarrass the league (i.e. Speedy Banks for Recreational Drugs and Hughes for a DUI).  The offending player should be good to go the next season as long as there isn't another violation.

Clarity and consistency would benefit everyone.

How did Hughes embarrass the Riders when everybody there shrugged ?

"oh, well these things happen, hope he learned his lesson, man , it was different in the old days, I could tell you some stories, chuckle, chuckle"

21 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Wyman and the local media just demonstrated why mainstream media is dying and needs to beg governments to bail them out. They are out of touch hacks.

Journalists in general have always had a peculiar sense of importance and use influence just for its own sake.

Willy Mays and Mickey Mantle weren't unanimous first ballots. Joe DiMaggio had to wait until second ballot. Seriously.

meanwhile another self important reporter Mark Spector is giving props to the winnipeg media for shunning Harris. 

Really is a pattern here. The quality media people support Harris, the self important ****** canoes are taking the moral high ground because they are just better people than all of us and need to enlighten us ignorant masses. 

19 hours ago, AKAChip said:

Does any other league have it in the rules that they are ineligible for awards if they test positive for a banned substance? At some point you don’t need specific rules, you just need common sense. Ryan Braun was having a great season in 2012 when he was busted for PEDs and he got no award recognition that season. Why should the CFL be any different?

Yes. Specifically the NFL.

I like Walby but to me it appears that he reads message boards like this and bases his opinion on that.  He is entertaining on the radio though.     I liked back in the day when Zalnasky was with Irving... he was very reactionary but was never afraid to tell it the way it is.

I came in hot on this yesterday, and today, I still feel the same. If the CFL wants to create a rule saying that any in season suspension makes you ineligible for any league awards, fine. But, no rule currently exists. So, the media's job is to choose the most outstanding in each category, not impose some individual, moral judgment in absence of a rule, or take some ridiculous "bad for CFL 2.0" stance. Your job was to vote for the most outstanding in each category, and by choosing Mike Miller for anything other than special teams, you failed at your job. If you did for click bait and hits to your site/twitter feed, well played. But, don't defend it as the right choice. It wasn't. It makes you look dumb. Particularly when Harris' numbers were so good. Leading rusher, 6 yards per carry, 500 receiving yards! And you chose Mike Miller? Still stunned, one day later. End of rant on this for me. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Bugs me that Bauming, Hamilton and Wyman all came up with Miller. I wonder if they talked? :35_thinking: 

Good point! Nice integrity as a journalist. It's like elementary school. "who are you going to vote for, and I'll do the same". Seriously lost respect for those guys. I'm usually a big defender of the sanctity of the local beat writer, but this makes me think, what's the point? What value do they really add in today's world? A good local blog site with some dedicated "amateurs" would be preferable. 

Edited by M.Silverback

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Bowman have any comment about receiving money under the table? Don't forget that was the story when Kavis was fired.

John "da bag-man" Bowman ought to shut his flap, you can't tell me as the longest serving Al he didn't know anything about Kavis's pay-roll shenanigans.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

19 hours ago, Brandon said:

I like Bauming because he seems to have a real interest in the CFL,  however on the radio at times he sounds really fake and cliché....    Sadly when it comes to Bomber coverage Westwood seems to be the most genuine. 

Agree, when i first listened to westwood on 1290 i was surprised how entertaining and natural he was on radio. Hes a weird dude, but all kickers are. And hes really entertaining. I loved westwood walby and edmonds.