CFL Player Award predictions

TrueBlue4ever

2 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

No, I don’t but it doesn’t change that it sets a bad precedent. Even if he was merely unlucky with a contaminated sample (unlikely, but possible) the worst case scenario is he doesn’t get nominated for an award over a testing error. It sucks but it’s hardly the end of the world. Let’s not forget that most Bomber fans are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt solely because he’s a fan favourite and a great football player on their favourite team. Even the most hardened homers have to acknowledge that. 

Acknowledged, but what’s stopping the Winnipeg media?

What do they really have to lose.

Respect? Well, we already know who gets the respect that’s deserved.

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Same penalty sure. Same thing? Nope.

The media didn't make up their own rules. They just followed the rules that are in place and came to a decision you don't like.

Harris was eligible and had a far superior season. They decided he wasn't eligible. That's making up their own rules.

And, yes, same thing because it's penalized the same. 

1 hour ago, mfranc said:

For sure.  Avoid potential problems like this for the league.

This type of move would be good, but considering its media based voting I very much doubt it will happen. Baseball has needed it far more, and for far longer in the HoF voting etc. And basketball the voting for awards actually impacts how much guys can earn with out over sight or rules. 

I think the answer 

28 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

MLB you can't participate in the playoffs and are ineligible for awards

But the Hof and other such media award votes are a hot mess. 

As some one pointed out (note it was jpan85) on the previous page, it should be in the hands of each teams HC to nominate the award winners. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Just, wow! After we win the Grey Cup, or maybe just before or even during, maybe Andrew Harris can give a "shove it" speech to the Winnipeg media a la Henry Burris.

Imagine if we won the GC, with out a single seasonal award winner? Or if harris was the MOP/MOC in the grey cup game?

14 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

If Simoni Lawrence were on the Bombers and Andrew Harris were on the Ticats, what would be your reaction to all this? Likely general indifference, no? Lawrence is a dirtbag, but it’s still not on the same level as testing positive for PEDs. 

Weve been in this position before. And personally I liked Brandon dyson (as dirty a player as this league has ever seen) and kyries hebert. Im not against the guys who play on the edge and some times go over it. Should those guys be eligible for awards, even if they have rough spots during the season? If you allow them to continue to play, and they excel you gotta give it to them imo. So yes, I would give simoni lawrence east MODP, and maybe the leagues MODP.  

Edited by wbbfan

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

Harris was eligible and had a far superior season. They decided he wasn't eligible. That's making up their own rules.

Honestly, I feel like the winnipeg football media need to suffer some backlash. Theyve been allowed to slide too far for too long. The extreme laziness of reporting in TC, practice, following up on injured players, and now this. 

Its well past time for them to stop being lazy sock puppets. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Nope. They decided that testing positive for PED's meant he wasn't worthy of getting their nomination for MOP and MOC. It's as valid a decision as deciding that testing positive for PED's and taking the 2 game suspension doesn't matter when it comes to nominations for MOP and MOC. 

Penalized the same doesn't equal the same thing and you know it or at least should know it. It's a false equivalency.

7 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Honestly, I feel like the winnipeg football media need to suffer some backlash. Theyve been allowed to slide too far for too long. The extreme laziness of reporting in TC, practice, following up on injured players, and now this. 

Its well past time for them to stop being lazy sock puppets. 

They have been super lazy. Most of them are not even on the beat any more. 

I asked, many of them, what's up with Gray? Is he practising? With which team? Etc. I finally got a response a week-and-half after and it was just forwarding me a tweet from a junior reporter (possibly an intern). And this during the peak time during the season. 

Edited by JCon

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

Nope. They decided that testing positive for PED's meant he wasn't worthy of getting their nomination for MOP and MOC. It's as valid a decision as deciding that testing positive for PED's and taking the 2 game suspension doesn't matter when it comes to nominations for MOP and MOC. 

Penalized the same doesn't equal the same thing and you know it or at least should know it. It's a false equivalency.

This is worst excuse yet. 

It's up to them to decide who the Most Outstanding Canadian Bomber was and they decided it was Miller because they disqualified Harris.

So, they didn't like that he was still eligible, so they made up their own rule. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

They have been super lazy. Most of them are not even on the beat any more. 

I asked, many of them, what's up with Gray? Is he practising? With which team? Etc. I finally got a response a week-and-half after and it was just forwarding me a tweet from a junior reporter (possibly a intern). And this during the peak time during the season. 

100% back in the day we used to get practice reports, and in depth TC break downs of who looked good made plays etc. 

What a joke. An update on gray would be big, and olivera.  

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

If the rules were clear...

But,

these media personnel are basing it on subjective opinions which unfortunately, carry higher consequences than our personal opinions. 

Character doesn’t count? Andrew Harris and Simoni Lawrence. One gets through, the other doesn’t? You can defend that?

always worth your click, our boy Tait.......

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/10/30/andrews-leader-team-player-awards-nominations-met-controversy/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

of note: Can't blame Friesen......it was Jeff Hamilton (along with the aforementioned Wyman and Bauming) that threw Harris under the bus......

Actually, that spark has morphed into more of a raging inferno, as Andrew Harris was completely shut out following voting conducted by the local chapter of The Football Reporters of Canada – Bob Irving of CJOB, Jeff Hamilton of The Free Press, The Sun’s Ted Wyman and Darrin Bauming of TSN 1290 – along with Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea.

Bottom line we know that many members of the media have a very self important attitude, like they are the ones who decide what is right and wrong. 

This is just another example of this. You also see it all the time in the NHL too where people will not give the awards to players on shitty teams because of the arbitrary have to make the playoffs mentality. 

Media needs to come to grips with the fact that they aren't the only ones who are knowledgeable about sports and their opinions are really dime a dozen in this day and age.  

This is obviously a horrendous decision and a fireable offence for the joke of reporters we have. I have to imagine Ed Tait would’ve voted for Harris if he still had a vote. 

On the positive side, something like this can bring a team together and provide some unity as we head towards the playoffs. 

So they just happened to settle on Miller for MOC? That seems like colluding to make sure Harris didn't win Hamilton and Wyman had their articles ready to go to get reads, clicks and retweets Total scam by these assholes to help them in their jobs No wonder people don't trust the MSM. Honestly our local guys stink as journalists. Sites like The Athletic are miles ahead

Now I can actually understand Miller getting the MOC nod if people decided that Harris was out of the running. As I outlined in a previous post, Demski at 690 yards from scrimmage is probably the most notable Canadian player. Wolitarsky didn't get the touches to stand out, Certainly wasn't going to come from the defensive canadian and the only OL to stay healthy all year was couture. Outside of Harris the strength of this teams Canadians is the depth rather than a couple really stand out players. So process of elimination the Media who have the attention spans of an ADHD squirrel would naturally go towards the guy climbing all time special teams tackles charts.  

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

If the rules were clear...

But,

these media personnel are basing it on subjective opinions which unfortunately, carry higher consequences than our personal opinions. 

Character doesn’t count? Andrew Harris and Simoni Lawrence. One gets through, the other doesn’t? You can defend that?

Every opinion is subjective. 3 out of 5 opinions disagree with yours and the general consensus of the Bomber fan forums.

It's not about character, it's about testing positive for a PED. I'm not defending Lawrence and I wouldn't have voted for him if I had a vote because of his suspension.

45 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Every opinion is subjective. 3 out of 5 opinions disagree with yours and the general consensus of the Bomber fan forums.

Hey, I’m pretty sure that’s what I said. And that’s why we’re complaining

And really, not about character? It definitely should be taken under consideration.