Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

7 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Put me in the 'I didn't want him here, but am glad he is' group. He's been our best QB this year by far.

When we signed him I had no expectations for him other than insurance in case Streveler went down....which he did.   When they beat Calgary and witnessed some of the plays he made I thought ok, this guy has something to prove and their is great power in that.    Then we dispatched Calgary with our tandem system really kicking Calgary's butt and was hoping for the same results against the Riders.   Well Collaros and our bend but don't break defence won this game and Streveler wasn't the running force he was previously.    I was thinking it might have been better to limit Streveler's touches yesterday as I think Zach was more dialed in and made some incredible throws when called upon.    
My thinking about Collaros has changed and yes I'm concerned for his long term health but if I had to choose between Nichols and Collaros, even at this point in time, I'd go with Zach Attack Collaros!

Zach is giving it a 110 percent..I can't get over the fact about how the team has accepted him right off the bat...I think usually most teams would have a little trouble with a player coming in that late in the season not to mention him being unfamiliar with the way we do things...He fits right in like he's been playing here since day 1....Going to be a tough call about keeping him around....especially if we win the Cup

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

My only question about him was his health. So far, so good, but I'm not yet convinced that he would last 18 games and that 1st rounder is still looming large. 

Legitimate question. But, I don't think any starters lasted 18 games this season. You definitely need a capable back up QB whoever you sign as a starter. And if we're strictly comparing Collaros to Nichols in a bubble, I'd have as many concerns health wise for Nichols. Maybe more - throwing shoulder surgery - yikes. And Nichols going down has proven pretty clearly that Streveler is not ready to be an average to above average starting QB in the CFL. Heart bigger than the Grinch's when it grew, helluva football player, but not a top tier starting QB.

9 minutes ago, Noeller said:

My only question about him was his health. So far, so good, but I'm not yet convinced that he would last 18 games and that 1st rounder is still looming large. 

I'm also not sold on Nicholls long term health after his shoulder surgery......Nicholls also has a history of severe injuries but imho Zach is a better QB all around.,,,,and smart!

20 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Zach is giving it a 110 percent..I can't get over the fact about how the team has accepted him right off the bat...I think usually most teams would have a little trouble with a player coming in that late in the season not to mention him being unfamiliar with the way we do things...He fits right in like he's been playing here since day 1....Going to be a tough call about keeping him around....especially if we win the Cup

Remember when Big Chris was doing some things on the field and you could see it on the other players,  their enthusiasm definitly increased.  Maybe this is the same kinda thing.... they now believe.

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Nichols shoulder will heal fully. Concussions never fully heal. For that reason, no matter what ZC does for us I don't think it would be smart for us to sign him as anything more than a backup.

4 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Nichols shoulder will heal fully. Concussions never fully heal. For that reason, no matter what ZC does for us I don't think it would be smart for us to sign him as anything more than a backup.

Hate to be negative, but shoulders never heal fully after a surgery. They patch your shoulder up so it doesn't affect your daily life, but throwing day in and day out through a full season isn't gonna happen. Range of motion shortens and chance of re-injury is significant.

If this were Rookie of the Year, I'd say we sign Nichols and snap the tendons of the rest of our rostered QB's, but sadly, this injury is like me messing around with fireworks and messing up my best typing finger, my job is gonna suffer. ( I got pretty liberal with the analogy, but hey, internet stuff is fun)

22 minutes ago, The Classic said:

Hate to be negative, but shoulders never heal fully after a surgery. They patch your shoulder up so it doesn't affect your daily life, but throwing day in and day out through a full season isn't gonna happen. Range of motion shortens and chance of re-injury is significant.

If this were Rookie of the Year, I'd say we sign Nichols and snap the tendons of the rest of our rostered QB's, but sadly, this injury is like me messing around with fireworks and messing up my best typing finger, my job is gonna suffer. ( I got pretty liberal with the analogy, but hey, internet stuff is fun)

You are assuming you know what kind of shoulder injury he had. There are many, many shoulder injuries that heal perfectly well. BLM looks pretty darn good after a far more serious shoulder injury than Nichols had. We have no way of knowing, but do have anecdotal evidence of QB suffering shoulder injuries and having long and successful careers afterwards. What we do not have is anecdotal evidence of any player with multiple serious concussions being able to stay healthy.

Edited by gcn11

2 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

Might be. There are so many moving parts in the off season in terms of free agents and QB's in particular. Collaros has pretty strong ties to the Toronto area, so I'm not sure playing in Winnipeg is an option for him regardless of the outcome of the Grey Cup. 

I'm just going to enjoy the ride. His QB play has been better than any other Bomber QB's this season. His vision, pocket awareness and arm have been very good. I like our chances going into the Grey Cup! 

This is what we all need to be doing.

There are a lot of factors going into next season regarding the QB position, and we're going to have a lot of time to list and debate them.

For now, let's just be glad that it's still the last week of the football season and we still have football to discuss.

Couple thoughts, and I'm sure I will be posting this opinion (although likely evolving) through out the off-season as we sort this out.

I think that after this year we are going to need to start thinking about the future.

Collaros, even if he wins a championship for us, will not be here next year IMO. There are a few factors: health, desire to be in GTA, TO's desire to have him there (I believe Pinball said as much), first round pick, and Bombers' vision for the QB position both short- and long-term.

I think we win a championship and everyone is happy, and ZC and th WFC shake hands and part ways early and in the most amicably way possible. So what do we do for QB. Personally, I think we re-sign Streveler who has proven both his worth and, at the same time, his lack of readiness to be a starter in this league. I think that's ok and he would happily accept a backup role at a higher salary than he ELC. He will spend next year getting lots of time on the field, no doubt pounding the ball with his legs but also learning more about the pass-heavy CFL game. Not at all sure he will ever be a starter but there is no doubt he is a huge weapon for us, especially in the absence of a premier "well-rounded" CFL QB.

As our starter, I think it's Nichols again. I admit I think he is the devil we know, which is one capable of doing enough to win games. He will not be elite but he will get the job done, and when you throw that in with his age (not old but not getting any younger) and his growing history of injury, he can only be good when complemented by Strev to complete our QB attack. I think it will be largely similar to this year in the way we deploy our QBs, albeit likely with Strev having a more prominent role given his gained experience.

All that said, that's just my prediction and not necessarily my desire. I'm 100% ok exploring available QBs if brass thinks there's something better. Could be a proven retread, could be a young gun looking to be a franchise guy (Arbuckle). We will need to believe they are better than Nichols in order for that to happen, though.

Aside from getting a young QB, if we are stuck with an older guy as our QB then I think we start to take the development spot (McGuire) more seriously. Too bad about the 2 QB rule beginning next year, given our possible situation.

I somewhat agree with seeing this happen...and there could be worse things truth be told..I do tho see a more liberal use of the 1a/1b quarterback situation tho, if not an almost 50/50 use close to it...or rolling more with whoever is producing more, and going with the flow/feel of the game.

But Throwing eggs in say an Arbuckle basket is dancing with disaster tho..he showed well for most part, but was also average and showed his inexperience, so a veteran presence in some capacity is required I think, Is it Matt?...who knows...but with him with get continuity, and we know what he can do in this offence..Massoli?..possible but again...will he even be ready and is he really "that" proven of a commodity?

Collaros may really grow to like whats going on here, and decide to stay, have a chance to win...or win again (fingers crossed) and resign here..A one two punch with him and Strev would surely keep him more upright over course of the year, and he would be a better mentor for Strev, and also a better QB for Strev to watch and learn to play like...be interesting off-season for sure.....the big variable though I think is Mcguire...My impression is he has the best all-around skill set to really succeed as a QB in Canada...nice mobility (Strev Light almost) an obvious pocket presence he has shown in is pre-season work and in practice and an arm to make all the throws

14 hours ago, In Motion said:

Let me solve the mystery for you. Bobby Kraemer become a committed Christian and felt a higher calling  ... to start Athletes in Action.  https://p2c.com/bob-kraemer-70s-post/     

Matthias Goossen was the spiritual leader for Blue Bomber Christians before he felt called by God to become a policeman. 

You might be surprised at how many devout Christian CFL players there have been and are, and how this has affected the moves and trades by some coaches and players in the CFL over the years.  It explains the Wally Buono and Hufnagel connection for example.  Pinball Clemons, Milt Stegall,  Anthony Calvillo , Henry Burris, Kerry Joseph. coaches Dave Ritchie and the deceased Richard Harris, and now Cody Fadjardo  and a host of others make decisions of where to go and what to do based on where they feel God is leading them.  

Every year Athletes In Action hosts a breakfast at the Grey Cup that always sells out. 

https://greycupbreakfast.ca/    

Btw, one year Athletes In Action organized a  CFL vs NFL flag football game  which both sides took very seriously, and the CFL won  :)  

Also, one reason Henry Burris was so offended when he was criticized by Milt Stegall a couple of years ago  was because they share the same faith. Milt  felt that, even if they are Christian brothers, he had to be honest and challenge him to be more mature. 

Interesting take. Thanks

1 hour ago, blue_or_die said:

Couple thoughts, and I'm sure I will be posting this opinion (although likely evolving) through out the off-season as we sort this out.

I think that after this year we are going to need to start thinking about the future.

Collaros, even if he wins a championship for us, will not be here next year IMO. There are a few factors: health, desire to be in GTA, TO's desire to have him there (I believe Pinball said as much), first round pick, and Bombers' vision for the QB position both short- and long-term.

I think we win a championship and everyone is happy, and ZC and th WFC shake hands and part ways early and in the most amicably way possible. So what do we do for QB. Personally, I think we re-sign Streveler who has proven both his worth and, at the same time, his lack of readiness to be a starter in this league. I think that's ok and he would happily accept a backup role at a higher salary than he ELC. He will spend next year getting lots of time on the field, no doubt pounding the ball with his legs but also learning more about the pass-heavy CFL game. Not at all sure he will ever be a starter but there is no doubt he is a huge weapon for us, especially in the absence of a premier "well-rounded" CFL QB.

As our starter, I think it's Nichols again. I admit I think he is the devil we know, which is one capable of doing enough to win games. He will not be elite but he will get the job done, and when you throw that in with his age (not old but not getting any younger) and his growing history of injury, he can only be good when complemented by Strev to complete our QB attack. I think it will be largely similar to this year in the way we deploy our QBs, albeit likely with Strev having a more prominent role given his gained experience.

All that said, that's just my prediction and not necessarily my desire. I'm 100% ok exploring available QBs if brass thinks there's something better. Could be a proven retread, could be a young gun looking to be a franchise guy (Arbuckle). We will need to believe they are better than Nichols in order for that to happen, though.

Aside from getting a young QB, if we are stuck with an older guy as our QB then I think we start to take the development spot (McGuire) more seriously. Too bad about the 2 QB rule beginning next year, given our possible situation.

There are so many unknowns at this point.

Earlier this season - a lot of us were thinking that this might be a total tear down of coaching staff if we were one and done in the play offs (the shadow of a HC opening in Toronto also factoring in). I no longer believe that's the case am fairly certain we see MOS signed to a new deal. 

Lapo will probably look for HC opportunities and could be a big factor. I can't see Nichols following him anywhere if there is interest from the WFC to retain him (he has young children here after all), but maybe Strev follows the guy that has shaped his career thus far. The new OC coming in will have a huge factor in who we re-sign. A Buck Pierce promotion promises the status quo - whereas a Calgary disciple might want to bring on Arbuckle (as an example). 

Do we want to re-sign Zack? Does he have a strong interest in returning East? Do we have faith in Nichols to stay mostly healthy moving forward? Are posters here suffering from back-up QB syndrome in their evaluations of Macguire? (Hint: You definitely are).

I'm really interested to see how the league's coaching staffs sort out in the weeks following Grey Cup. I think that may clear some unknowns up.

7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

There are so many unknowns at this point.

Earlier this season - a lot of us were thinking that this might be a total tear down of coaching staff if we were one and done in the play offs (the shadow of a HC opening in Toronto also factoring in). I no longer believe that's the case am fairly certain we see MOS signed to a new deal. 

Lapo will probably look for HC opportunities and could be a big factor. I can't see Nichols following him anywhere if there is interest from the WFC to retain him (he has young children here after all), but maybe Strev follows the guy that has shaped his career thus far. The new OC coming in will have a huge factor in who we re-sign. A Buck Pierce promotion promises the status quo - whereas a Calgary disciple might want to bring on Arbuckle (as an example). 

Do we want to re-sign Zack? Does he have a strong interest in returning East? Do we have faith in Nichols to stay mostly healthy moving forward? Are posters here suffering from back-up QB syndrome in their evaluations of Macguire? (Hint: You definitely are).

I'm really interested to see how the league's coaching staffs sort out in the weeks following Grey Cup. I think that may clear some unknowns up.

The coaching movement question brings an entire different dimension to this whole thing. Had to make my post in a vacuum looking strictly at QB personnel and their assumed interests.

Btw, my McGuire comment was me describing the development spot for a QB (which McGuire currently occupies), not him in particular. I am not with those that think he is hot stuff after throwing one incomplete pass. That said, my point is that we need to find out if the future guy is any good because we could be turning to them sooner than later. Certainly sooner considering circumstance next Monday morning are different than the circumstances at the beginning of this season.

Edited by blue_or_die

1 minute ago, blue_or_die said:

The coaching movement question brings an entire different dimension to this whole thing. Had to make my post in a vacuum looking strictly at QB personnel and their assumed interests.

Btw, my McGuire comment was me describing the development spot for a QB (which McGuire currently occupies), not him in particular. I am not with those that think he is hot stuff after throwing one incomplete pass.

Oh, I know. 

Totally a shot at booch and (apparently) Mr. Dee

......and pj probably.