Bombers acquire Zach Collaros

Mike

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Can someone honestly answer why the heck they would want Masoli here? Seriously.. Big Arm but zero football IQ. Id rather stay with nichols and streveler

I like Nichols but let’s be real here. He’s on the wrong side of 30, Coming off a throwing arm surgery, and streveler, idk what has he done other than run the ball? Certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable with him being the starting qb next year. Masoli would be a logical choice for next year. Good arm, can move the ball well, and would be playing with a good team Infront of him. It would also for McGuire to take another step forward in his development.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

I feel like I'm on crazy pills anytime someone mentions Masoli........absolute no thank you. Under no circumstances.

If we have Strev we don't need Masoli so full agree there.

42 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm curious who's a closer friend: KW or Pinball... Because he goes back a long way with both. 

True but some of us remember when we were kids growing up in the Peg and we hated Toronto because they were such arrogant bastards with their Joe Theissmans, Leo Cahills and Leon McQuays? Well I still feel a bit of that for Toronto and just can't shake the feeling at times that O'Shea has a bit of that Toronto arrogance in him too. I can see him and Pinball being two peas in a pod over there. I admit I could be completely wrong though.

Speaking of the arrogant Argos ...

6 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Collaros & Streveller is a very good combo. Streveller taking those hard yards will save Collaros from those unwanted hits.

How much do you pay zach? How much do you pay strev? Halts the development of McGuire. Having two qbs seems like a good idea until they both want to be payed like starters.

3 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I honestly don’t understand the streveler love on here. He’s a gadget QB not a #2.

He's a team player, and a really good dude. But he's absolutely Gadget player and not somebody that you can build an offense around. I think we should move on from him next year even as a backup. 

My ideal scenario is masoli and McGuire. 

5 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

How much do you pay zach? How much do you pay strev? Halts the development of McGuire. Having two qbs seems like a good idea until they both want to be payed like starters.

Is it fair to pay a combine $600k-$700k for Collaros & Streveller?

I believe BC & CGY are paying on that range for one QB.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

26 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

I like Nichols but let’s be real here. He’s on the wrong side of 30, Coming off a throwing arm surgery, and streveler, idk what has he done other than run the ball? Certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable with him being the starting qb next year. Masoli would be a logical choice for next year. Good arm, can move the ball well, and would be playing with a good team Infront of him. It would also for McGuire to take another step forward in his development.

You're forgetting about Lapo. Masoli would die a thousand deaths here under Lapo.

I suspect Streveler could be a super-Masoli if he could get away from Lapo and hook up with a June Jones type of coach.

Masoli isn't even a has been... He's a never was. That guy is a Casey Printers one hit wonder if evr there was one. He thrived in June Jones run-and-shoot offense and that's about it. I want absolutely nothing to do with him. If they absolutely have to go out and get someone then let it be Arbuckle, but I'm perfectly fine going back to Nichols, too. He was outstanding... Every bit as good as Collaros....before he got hurt. 

6 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Sure that’s a fair price, but if collaros gets hurt, like he’s known to do from time to time. What has strev done to prove he’s a starting qb? 

4 minutes ago, J5V said:

You're forgetting about Lapo. Masoli would die a thousand deaths here under Lapo.

I suspect Streveler could be a super-Masoli if he could get away from Lapo and hook up with a June Jones type of coach.

So explain what you mean by a “thousand deaths”. Collaros has done well. Nichols while he doesn’t put up 300 yards/game numbers, he has been beyond effective, and well maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. But strev has not been as effective through the air. Yes he’s blown through people with his legs, but that gets figured out and put him into a position to be hurt. 

49 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

Not just the arm surgery, he never looked nearly as good after the knee injury. Imo no other team in the league will offer nichols a starting job or money going into camp. 

I wouldnt bet on masoli. I dont see him succeeding with out that system and those wrs. 

19 minutes ago, J5V said:

Ill bet any thing lapo is not back win or lose in the gc. 

24 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

The real problem with that situation imo, is banking on collaros for a season and risking a first round pick on that gamble. 

Otts early success came from heavily stacking qb and wr. If this year has taught us any thing its you need a no2 qb that can win games. Streveler is a complementary qb at this point. A great guy who can ad a great dimension to the current offense. But isnt the guy to win games with his arm going into next season. And I would not bet money, pick, and the teams year on his ability to stay healthy for most of the season and play at an all star level. 

If you bring back those 2, I think you have to expect to part ways with mcguire/PR him and bring in another veteran qb that can throw it. I would rather put starter money and a pick on some one like arbuckle, mbt etc and then bring back streveller and mcguire. 

2 minutes ago, Tiny759 said:

So explain what you mean by a “thousand deaths”. Collaros has done well. Nichols while he doesn’t put up 300 yards/game numbers, he has been beyond effective, and well maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. But strev has not been as effective through the air. Yes he’s blown through people with his legs, but that gets figured out and put him into a position to be hurt. 

What I mean is that for any QB that likes to throw the ball and take some risks Lapo is the wrong guy to be playing for. Nichols fit in with Lapo because Nichols is very risk averse. Collaros is a seasoned, mature QB who, like Nichols, takes some risks but you could see in the Sask game that Lapo was already dialing Collaros back and that lame, sputtering offensive scheme started rearing it's ugly head, even though Collaros had hooked up with Adams and Demski deep a few times in the first half. I'm sure Lapo will eventually neuter Collaros as he did Nichols. When Lapo starts doing it to Masoli it will be painful.

I'm arrogant enough to think I'm right and humble enough to know I'm often wrong. We all have varying degrees of both but for the most part I enjoy hearing what everyone has to say. 

So are the Strev doubters 100 percent certain he wont develop his passing more? Seems like it to me and that's foolish...many a good QB before him was similar..Ham for one..even Damon Allen was all run..spotty passing...you have to put a good 3 yrs into a guy before throwing away..he is leaps and bounds better than last year and if he was in an offence where he could actually play QB and run a normal offence..he could impress

10 minutes ago, Booch said:

So are the Strev doubters 100 percent certain he wont develop his passing more? Seems like it to me and that's foolish...many a good QB before him was similar..Ham for one..even Damon Allen was all run..spotty passing...you have to put a good 3 yrs into a guy before throwing away..he is leaps and bounds better than last year and if he was in an offence where he could actually play QB and run a normal offence..he could impress

Lapo seems to have made him into a gadget QB - not sure how easy it is to come back from that...  he is not making any reads on his read option plays 

Best case scenario is Collaros wins the Grey Cup and retires - Lapo takes over Toronto 

Arbuckle and Strev would be nice

47 minutes ago, Booch said:

Nobody is saying he will 100% be a bad passer for life. But if you are the bombers, how long can you wait on the guy and how much money do you put into him. Next year, the team will be in a very good position to do well again. And you can’t assume that over the winter strev “flips a switch” and becomes a good passing qb all of a sudden. So the question is, how much money do you risk on a strong running qb who may or may not be able to pass effectively, when that money could be spent in other areas on the team.

8 hours ago, Tiny759 said:

Nobody is saying he will 100% be a bad passer for life. But if you are the bombers, how long can you wait on the guy and how much money do you put into him. Next year, the team will be in a very good position to do well again. And you can’t assume that over the winter strev “flips a switch” and becomes a good passing qb all of a sudden. So the question is, how much money do you risk on a strong running qb who may or may not be able to pass effectively, when that money could be spent in other areas on the team.

yeah but it wouldn't be all of a sudden. He showed promise as a passer last season and at times this year too. The problem is an offensive coordinator who can not adjust to fit his players. He always looks for what he wants and hammers a player into that role. 

It's why Andrew Harris works, he's a guy built for what Lapo likes to do. It's why he over uses Demski a lot, because it's the kind of player he likes. It's why we had more success with Dressler than without last year, because he's a player that fits what Lapo likes to do. 

Guys like Wolitarsky though? Under used because they're not the lapo gadget guys, just good receivers who would do better in a more conventional offense. 

I really hope someone hires Lapo away from us because you will likely see a huge improvement in the performance of the quarterbacks and receivers. 

8 hours ago, Tiny759 said:

Lol this is pro sports, just because you like a guy you're going to wait until a professional qb learns how to throw? That is pure insanity.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

yeah but it wouldn't be all of a sudden. He showed promise as a passer last season and at times this year too. The problem is an offensive coordinator who can not adjust to fit his players. He always looks for what he wants and hammers a player into that role. 

It's why Andrew Harris works, he's a guy built for what Lapo likes to do. It's why he over uses Demski a lot, because it's the kind of player he likes. It's why we had more success with Dressler than without last year, because he's a player that fits what Lapo likes to do. 

Guys like Wolitarsky though? Under used because they're not the lapo gadget guys, just good receivers who would do better in a more conventional offense. 

I really hope someone hires Lapo away from us because you will likely see a huge improvement in the performance of the quarterbacks and receivers. 

So if the problem is an oc, well wouldn’t you rather want Masoli, Nichols, or collaros, or guys with experience to help lead the team and not a guy with 12 starts?