GDT Pre-season Game 1 - Edmonton at Bombers

Floyd

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

After the endless hype by a certain poster here, I was expecting Streveler to indeed step up & he didn't.  Last night, Big Chris didn't look like he could replace Nichols as the future starter. Bennett looked like he is capable of moving up to #2 if Streveler doesn't improve.  Next week could be a make or break game for Streveler. Especially if the other 2 qbs play well.

Streveler's job as the backup is really not in question.  But it was nice to see Bennett solidify his position on the team.  I want to see what this offensive line can do when Gray isn't the longest serving member of the unit. 

35 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Streveler's job as the backup is really not in question.  But it was nice to see Bennett solidify his position on the team.  I want to see what this offensive line can do when Gray isn't the longest serving member of the unit. 

Yeah. More then any thing bennett proved his value as the no3, and mcguire earned a PR spot. 

21 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah. More then any thing bennett proved his value as the no3, and mcguire earned a PR spot. 

I don't think they have the budget for a PR QB.  But if anything McGuire can get brought back if there is an injury and brought to training camp again next year when at least one of our top 3 qbs are likely no longer here.

4 hours ago, AKAChip said:

A great season as a raw rookie isn’t undone by two pre-season games. By that logic, Nichols would have been usurped three quarters of the way through last season never to be heard from again. 

Not to mention he's only played just two series of that one which tells me with the OL in the shape it is, our coaches weren't going to risk losing him.  Although I will say out of what I saw of our other two, we could have a pretty capable backup set.

What we decide to do when Strev's rookie contract is over will be then and there.  But I somehow wouldn't doubt a plethora of East teams not named Hamilton will be in the market for buying current backup QBs, and Strev did enough in real actual games with the first teamers last year and will probably get a chance again this year that his hat will be in the ring.

7 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Streveler’s fine. 

He’s in the second year of being a backup QB. Yesterday was barely an at bat for the young man. He still very much is a weapon. But he does have to ‘get’ the passing game. And there’s time for that.

It’s just nice to see our backup backups show a little QBacking with their chances. 

But, 

There is a gap still between #2 and #3 & #4. 

There is also a gap between #1 and #2.

What will be interesting is to see if any one of those QBs can minimize the gaps and make things even more interesting.

That basically is what I was saying. However, 2,3 & 4 aren't locked up yet.

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

Lol at people giving up on Streveler he had zero time in the pocket and was given low  percentage plays. Yeesh. 

Whiteheads issue is more concerning because he had chances to run it up but choose to go side to side. I'd much rather have Nelson returning.  I'll take the guy who gives us positive yards then the guy who will break one big one but then lose 10-20 on every other one.

Whitehead pretty much did what I thought he would do last night, lot's of dancing, plenty of running sideways and backwards, convinced he can do it all on his own if only he could turn that elusive corner and access all that excess space.  It's been tried before Lucky!  There's no doubt he's an athletically talented individual with ultra blinding speed but sometimes that amount of raw talent is hard to harness and make it work well within a system.  All of the dodging and darting he does makes it difficult for blockers in front of him to keep track of where he is and where he is heading.  O'Shea commented on this very thing in a backhanded way when he praised Nelson for his straight-ahead returns on the OB post game show.

If the Bombers do stick with Lucky as the returner I predict a roller-coaster ride of highs and lows covering the gamut of the spectrum with enough excitement and terror to induce heart attacks.  I'd love for them to keep him around as a project until he can be broken and re-trained, but I don't think they can afford that luxury.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Streveler is going to be fine and could be our No. 1 long before the end of the season. Not worried about him. I am more worried about Lapolice's playcalling, and whether the O-line is going to gel. It looks like the playbook has been tweaked as the QBs have been repping alot of rollouts. That's a good strategy should the O line struggle, and gives both Nichols and Streveler more time to find the open receiver. They both seem to need that time - but for different reasons. That said, it'll be the defence that carries the Bombers to glory this year.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I'd need to watch it again but on that first play, Strev to Whitehead, I thought it was going out of bounds and that's why LW "gave up" on it....? 

I only saw it live but I believe Whitehead had already stopped running the moment the ball was in the air. Only to realize he had a chance at it and start running again. 

Also..

People are giving midseason evaluations on the QBs, Oline and receivers like these guys have been playing for months..

With this amount of shuffling and change ups coupled with the vanilla schemes... expecting instantaneous connections and rhythm is laughable. 

Our DBs played very well.. oline gave up 2 sacks, that's pretty good even in preseason.    I'm not too worried about the receivers looking off.. they are all tight, fighting for jobs.. catching tosses from 3 different QBs.  Different velocities, rotations, placement... cant really pass judgement on the ones who win the battle until the real bullets fly.. 

Lastly,  edm had 5 sacks last week..  didnt their DC say some booolsheet like "we wont ever get less then that this year.. I promise" or some such..?

Breathe folks. It's our first preseason game and we won pretty handily.  Coulda pitched a shutout if the punt isnt fumbled.  IF week one looks this unpolished and disjointed... ok time for concern.. until then.. we good.  Everything will sort itself out in the wash.

On 2019-06-01 at 4:57 PM, Blueandgold said:

We’re giving up on Strev after four series without Adams, Matthews and Andrew Harris? 

Boy oh boy.

I don’t think a couple negative comments indicates that “we” are giving up on Streveller... even the people saying they expected more probably agree he’s the back up on day one...

also...he did have Harris and Adams in the line up for his series’...

On 2019-06-02 at 10:22 AM, Noeller said:

I'd need to watch it again but on that first play, Strev to Whitehead, I thought it was going out of bounds and that's why LW "gave up" on it....? 

So did I at first, (I was at the game) but nope, that ball landed in bounds. Whitehead just made a boneheaded play. NEVER STOP RUNNING!!! 

Anyone who thinks the #2 spot isn't locked up by Streveler needs to put the bottle down, and drink some water cause you're too drunk.

The only way Streveler loses the #2 spot is if during the REGULAR season he stinks it up for 9 straight weeks. Or he has an injury and Bennett lights it up.

Also, I wasn't as impressed with the DB play as others seem to be. Lots to fix up, saying that. They weren't exactly playing a Defence we will see a lot of this year. So I'm not putting too much into it. I will say if we are using a Loffler style role at Safety, I'll be VERY concerned. Hecht does not have it. He bounced off tackles rather then wrapping up and always seemed to be a step behind. Jones had a great play to break up a pass, however the ball was under thrown, and the REC got behind him easily. During the regular season that is likely 6 points. But like I said it's preseason...hell it's basically preseason for the next 3 weeks. Not worried at this point.

lol at it being a make or break game for Streveler...classic preseason bs.