GDT Pre-season Game 1 - Edmonton at Bombers

Floyd

5 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Streveler's play was disappointing last night.  You can't be a success in this league if all you are is a glorified running back who tries to play QB.  This is a passing league and we need a back up with accuracy.  Many of you have put way too much faith in this guy and I'm concerned that he's charmed you with his ability to run away from danger but he needs to show he can be a good game manager.  If all he does is run the ball.  That's pretty easy to defend.  

I want him to succeed but I'm worried my initial concerns about him are being proven out.       

It’s hard for me to pass judgement on a guy in his second season after four series in a pre-season game. I thought he was often too quick to use his legs last season but he’s as talented a runner at the QB position that this league has seen since probably Kerry Joseph so it’s hard to be too upset when he makes so many plays that way. He may not ultimately be the answer but nothing he did or didn’t do last night has me overly concerned. 

4 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Sure Whitehead didn't take one all the way but this was his first CFL game and you can see it's there.  All he needs to do is get more reps.  I agree with your concerns about his receiving skills but I think he's the better returner over Nelson.  Nelson is a receiver who can also return.  But Whitehead is a returner that can kinda play receiver.   It's been years since we've had a guy who is a threat to take it to the house everytime he gets the ball.  That's what I want. 

I really don’t want to see it but I can’t help but see Whitehead as a better version of Lankford. I think you’re underselling Nelson as a returner. He was great in that role at a major program in Oregon. I would be shocked if Whitehead ever becomes anything beyond a gadget guy. Sure, one who can take it to the house from time to time but these guys rarely last very long. Banks being the notable exception. 

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

Streveler's play was disappointing last night.  You can't be a success in this league if all you are is a glorified running back who tries to play QB.  This is a passing league and we need a back up with accuracy.  Many of you have put way too much faith in this guy and I'm concerned that he's charmed you with his ability to run away from danger but he needs to show he can be a good game manager.  If all he does is run the ball.  That's pretty easy to defend.  

I want him to succeed but I'm worried my initial concerns about him are being proven out.       

He has shown better accuracy in other games. I would at this point write it up to young player being inconsistent. If over time that consistency doesn't show up then we worry. 

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

. I would be shocked if Whitehead ever becomes anything beyond a gadget guy. Sure, one who can take it to the house from time to time but these guys rarely last very long. Banks being the notable exception. 

I don't know. Henry Williams turned out to be a pretty good "gadget" guy with the Eskimos...er, I mean "Gizmo" guy.

Although a lot of players got their shot,I'd say the majority are still in it to make this club....One pre-seasoner is hardly a measuring stick about who stays or who goes...Second one against the green guys should make the picture a little clearer but even then it's going to be a tough call on a few of our newbies....A few stand outs for sure...the German guy on special teams looks like a find and probably sticks....otherwise I see some good talent heading for other clubs....For all of the hype I thought Lawler and Whitehead were a little disappointing ...Didn't see much of Richardson but he did make good on one play and sacked a startled schmoe qb....Have to say that Nelson might just have won the kick returning duties...What happened to Rasheed Bailey....don't recall his name being mentioned at all...Maybe next game when a few of the hopefuls get more playing time...In any event it's going to be a tough cut down day no matter how you slice it

Edited by Stickem

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

What's the point, the Bombers already have plenty of Natl. talent.  I'd like to know the plan for Simonese and Petermann, if they don't find a way to use them they'll be gone in the off-season.

I doubt if Petermann will be cut. Simonise could be but more likely a PR spot.. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, AKAChip said:

I really don’t want to see it but I can’t help but see Whitehead as a better version of Lankford. I think you’re underselling Nelson as a returner. He was great in that role at a major program in Oregon. I would be shocked if Whitehead ever becomes anything beyond a gadget guy. Sure, one who can take it to the house from time to time but these guys rarely last very long. Banks being the notable exception. 

You don't consider Demski to be one?

2 hours ago, AKAChip said:

It’s hard for me to pass judgement on a guy in his second season after four series in a pre-season game. I thought he was often too quick to use his legs last season but he’s as talented a runner at the QB position that this league has seen since probably Kerry Joseph so it’s hard to be too upset when he makes so many plays that way. He may not ultimately be the answer but nothing he did or didn’t do last night has me overly concerned. 

This, I don't get the knock on Strev for running.  What do people want him to do?  Sit back and be a sitting duck getting knocked around the way Max Hall or Drew Willy were?  Ridiculous.

I get that 15 passing yards are nothing to brag about, but in preseason I don't think coaches care about that.  I don't care either if Nichols gets sub 200 yard games again this year, especially if the running game and defense are working.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

He has shown better accuracy in other games. I would at this point write it up to young player being inconsistent. If over time that consistency doesn't show up then we worry. 

After the endless hype by a certain poster here, I was expecting Streveler to indeed step up & he didn't.  Last night, Big Chris didn't look like he could replace Nichols as the future starter. Bennett looked like he is capable of moving up to #2 if Streveler doesn't improve.  Next week could be a make or break game for Streveler. Especially if the other 2 qbs play well.

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

After the endless hype by a certain poster here, I was expecting Streveler to indeed step up & he didn't.  Last night, Big Chris didn't look like he could replace Nichols as the future starter. Bennett looked like he is capable of moving up to #2 if Streveler doesn't improve.  Next week could be a make or break game for Streveler. Especially if the other 2 qbs play well.

A great season as a raw rookie isn’t undone by two pre-season games. By that logic, Nichols would have been usurped three quarters of the way through last season never to be heard from again. 

1 hour ago, AKAChip said:

A great season as a raw rookie isn’t undone by two pre-season games. By that logic, Nichols would have been usurped three quarters of the way through last season never to be heard from again. 

Well, the coaches have to make decisions as to the depth positions behind Nichols. If Streveler struggles again, do they simply fall back on last year's play & he gets the backup role by default or go with what they see in real time? Going to be interesting. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, the coaches have to make decisions as to the depth positions behind Nichols. If Streveler struggles again, do they simply fall back on last year's play & he gets the backup role by default or go with what they see in real time? Going to be interesting. 

While I don’t think they stunk up the joint, neither Bennett or McGuire were incredible either. Without that long pass, Bennett’s night would have been largely forgettable and he’s been here for long enough that they more or less know what they have in him. McGuire was okay, but faded after a couple decent series. Between them, they had three scoring drives between them in three quarters. Both benefit substantially from fans having minimal expectations of them. 

Lol at people giving up on Streveler he had zero time in the pocket and was given low  percentage plays. Yeesh. 

Whiteheads issue is more concerning because he had chances to run it up but choose to go side to side. I'd much rather have Nelson returning.  I'll take the guy who gives us positive yards then the guy who will break one big one but then lose 10-20 on every other one.

18 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

While I don’t think they stunk up the joint, neither Bennett or McGuire were incredible either. Without that long pass, Bennett’s night would have been largely forgettable and he’s been here for long enough that they more or less know what they have in him. McGuire was okay, but faded after a couple decent series. Between them, they had three scoring drives between them in three quarters. Both benefit substantially from fans having minimal expectations of them. 

I'm with you Chip.  I mean, come on, they had the whole off season to work the rust off.  They should all be in mid season form from play 1 of the pre season.  The fact that each of them didn't throw for 300 yards and at least two touchdowns, in their fist game, working with new receivers and a thrown together O line clearly shows that we need to burn this team down and start over.  Season's already done.  Life sucks.  All is darkness.

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

I'm with you Chip.  I mean, come on, they had the whole off season to work the rust off.  They should all be in mid season form from play 1 of the pre season.  The fact that each of them didn't throw for 300 yards and at least two touchdowns, in their fist game, working with new receivers and a thrown together O line clearly shows that we need to burn this team down and start over.  Season's already done.  Life sucks.  All is darkness.

The point isn’t that they sucked, it’s that people who suggest that Streveler is in danger of losing his job to either of them based on last night is ludicrous. 

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Lol at people giving up on Streveler he had zero time in the pocket and was given low  percentage plays. Yeesh.

I don't see anyone giving up on Streveler. I see the Nichols guys pointing out that Streveler didn't play well cuz it works for their argument that we need to start Nichols.

Streveler’s fine. 

He’s in the second year of being a backup QB. Yesterday was barely an at bat for the young man. He still very much is a weapon. But he does have to ‘get’ the passing game. And there’s time for that.

It’s just nice to see our backup backups show a little QBacking with their chances. 

But, 

There is a gap still between #2 and #3 & #4. 

There is also a gap between #1 and #2.

What will be interesting is to see if any one of those QBs can minimize the gaps and make things even more interesting.

Dylan Schrot locked up a practice roster spot last night, IMO.

Could also see them keeping the Mexican kicker in town as well, but Hansen probably takes the global active roster spot.

As for the new import receivers, pretty much par for the course for the Walters regime... big hype in camp and disappointment once the lights come on. Don't know why this group can't find receivers.

The absolute best possible thing to happen to Nichols was that he didn’t play last night. We will never know but I sincerely doubt he’d have put up numbers any better than Bennett. He’s being given the Reilly treatment by this staff when he really should be getting as many game reps as possible after last season. 

I do however, begrudgingly admit he looked a lot more slender on the sideline. Not sure if it means anything but it was noticeable. 

2 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Dylan Schrot locked up a practice roster spot last night, IMO.

Could also see them keeping the Mexican kicker in town as well, but Hansen probably takes the global active roster spot.

As for the new import receivers, pretty much par for the course for the Walters regime... big hype in camp and disappointment once the lights come on. Don't know why this group can't find receivers.

I’ve been critical of this regime’s severe inability to find import receivers but outside of one very bad drop by Lawler and a questionable decision to break off his route by Whitehead, I don’t think it was that bad of a performance. Sure, you’d like to see someone pop off the page but the QB was fairly erratic and there were a number of instances of great DB work from by the Esks. I’m not super high on Lawler but he did generate pretty good separation. It’s hard to put up huge numbers when you play half or so of the offensive snaps with vanilla routes and minimal pre snap motion. 

I thought the Defense (the DBs being the exception) and Special teams played very well

The O was meh but I cant recall a Lapo coached offense where they did anything in preseason. He likes to keep his plays a secret until season starts. We also play Edmonton at home in a month so he wasnt about to show much. 

All in all a much expected win last night.

Edited by Bomber_fanaddict

35 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I’ve been critical of this regime’s severe inability to find import receivers but outside of one very bad drop by Lawler and a questionable decision to break off his route by Whitehead, I don’t think it was that bad of a performance. Sure, you’d like to see someone pop off the page but the QB was fairly erratic and there were a number of instances of great DB work from by the Esks. I’m not super high on Lawler but he did generate pretty good separation. It’s hard to put up huge numbers when you play half or so of the offensive snaps with vanilla routes and minimal pre snap motion. 

No no, I don't think it's a disaster by any means, just didn't see anyone 'pop'. Thinking back through the years I can remember a few receivers coming in and stealing the show in preseason (though some burned out quick) and we haven't had a single one in five years of Walters. It's just disappointing because I think they've done a great job everywhere else on the roster.