2019 Main Training Camp

Mr Dee

8 Storylines camp day #8

* One of the early observations at camp has revolved around QB Matt Nichols, his offseason training regimen/diet, his overall health and how much more mobile he looks through the first week of practice.

* The Bombers O-line, which has been the picture of stability and continuity over the last few years, will feature two new faces this year after the retirement of Matthias Goossen and Sukh Chungh’s exit to B.C.

* The 7 Canadian Starters

Related to the above is where the Bombers might start their seven Canadian starters in Week 1 and beyond. Running back Andrew Harris, the aforementioned Neufeld, receivers Drew Wolitarsky and Nic Demski are all locks.

The Bombers will go with a Canadian at centre in either Speller or Couture and at safety, where Jeff Hecht and Derek Jones are in a battle for the starting safety chores. Where the seventh Canadian starter lines up remains a bit of a mystery, especially with some of the moving pieces on the O-line. Gray is getting a lot of opportunity with the starting lineup and there is certainly depth to go all Canadian on the interior of the O line.

But veteran defensive tackle Jake Thomas is quietly having a solid camp and the team does have the depth to go Canadian there, with veteran Maxx Forde and three 2019 draft picks in Jonathan Kongo (who is still recovering from a knee injury and has yet to practice), Connor Griffths and Tariq Lachance.

* The starting defence over the last few days has featured Chandler Fenner and Winston Rose at corner, Brandon Alexander and Marcus Sayles at halfback and the Hecht/Jones combo at safety. Very much in the mix are two faces from last year in Chris Humes and Tyneil Cooper and new faces like Mike Jones, Elijah Battle, Malik Boynton, Amari Coleman, Joe Este and Marcus Rios.

* Chris Matthews

* Willie Jefferson

* Of the four global players in Bombers camp, the player who looks most ready to contribute is German linebacker Thiadric Hansen. 

* The Bombers ranked eighth in punt-return average and sixth in kickoff-return average last year, getting their one return score from Kevin Fogg on a missed field goal in the season opener.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/26/eight-storylines-day-8-camp/

A BIG ADDITION, PART II:

The way the presence of Matthews impacts the offence will also be occurring on defence, where end Willie Jefferson makes the Bombers front seven as imposing as any in the CFL.

As difficult as this may be to fathom, Jefferson looks even bigger than the 6-6, 245 he is listed as on the roster. His first step is lightning quick, his wingspan is massive and he sets the same tone in practice as others like Adam Bighill and Brandon Alexander do on defence.

I don't recall the riders doing this last year but I would love to see some goal line packages that include Jefferson...

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/26/eight-storylines-day-8-camp/

4 hours ago, gcn11 said:

Meh...lots of threads, only two threads....it's kind of irrelevant to me. The content is far more important to the over all enjoyment.

Life is too short to spend arguing with relative strangers (and I do have strange relatives). If this is the worst thing to happen to you all week, you live a charmed life.

38 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Life is too short to spend arguing with relative strangers (and I do have strange relatives). If this is the worst thing to happen to you all week, you live a charmed life.

You have those kind of relatives too eh....I have a sign on my front gate...says all are welcome....relatives make an appointment

Day 9 Recap

Brady Oliveira- “For me, I’m just looking forward to that game and finally to put on that jersey with my last name on it and to finally go against an opponent rather than my teammates,” began Oliveira after a late Monday afternoon practice.

Kenny Lawler - “He’s caught a lot of footballs that have been around him… and some of them sometimes aren’t near him and he still catches them,” said head coach Mike O’Shea. “He’s shown everybody here that he’s got exceptional focus and very good hands. Those are obviously very positive things for a receiver.”

Michael Couture - “We’re a physical, tough offensive line that knows what it is doing. It plays as a unit. I’ve seen it from 2016 and with how little change there’s been they’ve been able to keep that standard high. It’s something I’ve loved being a part of and want to help uphold.”

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/05/27/notes-camp-day-9-recap/

Jamar McGloster

JAMAR MCGLOSTER 
23 yrs old 
6.7  329 

Career Overview: Played in 30 games, including 24 consecutive starts at right tackle from 2016-17 … Invited to the 2018 East-West Shrine Game ... On the field for 1,858 snaps over his last two seasons ... Redshirted in 2013 ... Four letters.

Senior Year (2017): Started all 12 games at right tackle ... Second on the team in snaps (1,034) ... Credited with 12 knockdown blocks ... Aided a Syracuse unit that ranked third in the ACC in total offense (456.3 ypg) and second in passing (294.8 ypg) ... Played every offensive snap in eight out of 12 games, including the last six ... Served as SU's offensive captain for the season opener against Central Connecticut State (9/1) and played 73 snaps ... Carded a career-high three knockdown blocks at LSU (9/23) ... On the field for 102 snaps and registered two knockdowns to help the Orange generate a season-high 621 yards of offense against Wake Forest (11/11) ... Also had a pair of knockdowns at NC State (9/30) and versus Clemson (10/13).

Junior Year (2016): Started all 12 games at right tackle ... Second among SU offensive linemen with 824 snaps played ... Credited with 11 knockdown blocks ... Helped pave the way for an Orange offense that amassed 5,290 total yards (440.8 ypg) ... Assisted the Orange in topping 500 yards of offense in five games ... Key protector of SU’s quarterbacks who ranked 11th nationally and second in the ACC in passing (321.3 ypg) ... Made his first career start versus Colgate (9/2), playing 41 snaps and recording two knockdown blocks ... Tied his season high with two knockdown blocks against USF (9/17) and at Boston College (10/22) ... Played a career-high 109 snaps at Pittsburgh (11/26) to help power the Orange to a season-high 668 total yards, including 228 yards rushing.

Sophomore Year (2015): Played in three games at right tackle ... Played 30 snaps in the season opener versus Rhode Island (9/4) and had one knockdown block, while helping the Orange rush for a season-high 312 yards ... Logged three snaps apiece at USF (10/10) and at Florida State (10/31).

Freshman Year (2014): Played in three games, including making his college debut versus Louisville (10/3) … ACC Honor Roll selection … Named to the SU Athletic Director’s Honor Roll both semesters.

2013: Redshirt season.

High School: Played varsity football for two years for head coach Sean Fallon … Helped lead the Friars to an 8-3 record and the NJSIAA Group 1 Non-Public semifinals as a senior … Basketball player for legendary Saint Anthony head coach Bob Hurley Sr.

Biggest guy on the Bombers roster currently.

Edited by M.O.A.B.