Blue Bomber Attendance

Uncle Bill

The location within the city is less of an issue to me than the fact it’s on a relatively isolated university campus with limited access to only one thoroughfare.  If it were on the other side of Pembina toward Kenaston or somewhere like that in the south end with access in all directions it would be fine.  If they could build even a pedestrian bridge to St. Vital to lessen traffic on Pembina and open up more options that would make a big difference.

But the politics of pretending to be cheap and making the U of M stakeholders ruled the day.  And it really screwed over the Bombers.  Not having transit ready to go, forcing the Bombers to pay for it.  Cripes.

Lots sand lots of complaining here.  Wow.

Seems like each of you has problems with:

- Location of Stadium

- Team Sucks

- Cost of Tickets

- Cost of Beer

- Too late

- Too early

- Cost of Beer

- Cost of Food

- "It doesn't suit me today"

Winnipeg has always been a finicky City with a touch of residents being cheap.  Not much has changed from what I see.

I've been a season ticket holder since 2011 and usually only miss one game of year due to either work commitments or an early vacation.  Did I mention I live in Brandon?  You know, the City 200 kms to the west of the Perimiter?

Yes, there were huge transit issues the first couple of game, but we still made it there and back.  There was also tons of construction on Pembina and the Perimiter that was needed

The Bombers have pushed many transit, bike and parking options for all fans.  The park and ride from Hydro works great for me.  If it wasn't for picking up family members in the City, I'd likely use the same service from the Downs.  Pay on the way in, free on the way out.  The bus connections on the north side of the stadium have really freed up congestion on the south side of the stadium.  

Comparing access with that of Hamilton, Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Saskatchewan, it's not all that bad (Sorry Ottawa and Vancouver, but I haven't visitied you yet).  I've been to Blue Jays (parking), KC Royals (middle of nowhere in City, paid parking, great tailgates though), Minnesota Twins (parking cost) / Wild (turkey trail of tunnels/walkways from train to arena), Flames (parking), Oilers (parking), Miami Dolphins (any transit sucks), and New Orleans Saints (parking downtown) games.  All have their challenges/costs for parking, transit, and access.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The location within the city is less of an issue to me than the fact it’s on a relatively isolated university campus with limited access to only one thoroughfare.  If it were on the other side of Pembina toward Kenaston or somewhere like that in the south end with access in all directions it would be fine.  If they could build even a pedestrian bridge to St. Vital to lessen traffic on Pembina and open up more options that would make a big difference.

But the politics of pretending to be cheap and making the U of M stakeholders ruled the day.  And it really screwed over the Bombers.  Not having transit ready to go, forcing the Bombers to pay for it.  Cripes.

A ped bridge to St Vital would be ideal.  I know they tried water taxi too.  But I know people that leave and go east on Bishop, North on Pembina, South on Pembina, Waverly, Kenaston etc.

I realize that immediately surrounding IGF its essentially University Cres or Chancellor Matheson, but there are many ways to and from once you leave campus.  The last couple of times I went, I didnt walk, we drove and parked right across the street from IGF.  Didnt wait in traffic at all.  It was easy and convenient.

The location is never going to be perfect for everyone. We just need to accept that.

The Polo Park location was farther for me.  Giving myself extra time to and from the game was an accepted reality.  IGF is much closer to me now, but I know many others whose drive/trip has now been extended. There are always going to be a ton of people unhappy with wherever you build it.  There are a ton of options to get to and from the stadium as well.

Also the game day experience has been improved immensely over the years, particularly since Wade Miller has been in charge IMO. They make better use of the JumboTrons (they provide stats now) and they are better at showing more replays. They seem to really focus on creating a fun experience too.

Cripes there's a lot of excuse makers for not going to games here. And you call yourselves fans. 

I get like 1 game a year in Calgary I can possibly attend and will often drive to Edmonton to watch them there too but I do it because it's the Bombers! Even if they usually crap their pants in this province it's still better than not seeing them live, oh and I've sat through the worst weather you can imagine to see them get thumped too. **** all you excuse makers. What I wouldn't give to have season tickets to watch in a stadium as nice as IGF. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Cripes there's a lot of excuse makers for not going to games here. And you call yourselves fans. 

I get like 1 game a year in Calgary I can possibly attend and will often drive to Edmonton to watch them there too but I do it because it's the Bombers! Even if they usually crap their pants in this province it's still better than not seeing them live, oh and I've sat through the worst weather you can imagine to see them get thumped too. **** all you excuse makers. What I wouldn't give to have season tickets to watch in a stadium as nice as IGF. 

For a second I thought with all this whining about location of the stadium,  that this was the Argos site, then I remembered that if it was, it would just be Bluto arguing with himself.

22 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I know going to CIS seems like, for revisionists, the easiest thing in the world, but it wasnt for a lot of people sitting in gridlock to get there or parking a mile away and walking.

This is exactly it... people who don't like the U of M location suddenly forget the traffic jams and waiting it took to get out of Canad Inns... 

12 minutes ago, bearpants said:

This is exactly it... people who don't like the U of M location suddenly forget the traffic jams and waiting it took to get out of Canad Inns... 

What I love about IGF, living in Waverly Heights, is we can leave literally, 15 minutes before kick off, park right at the stadium and waltz in.  When we went to CIS, you knew to leave at least an hour+ beforehand because traffic was a nightmare...and then you had to find parking (this was better once the Arena was torn down and you could park there).  We'd often park over by the Chapters (sometimes having a drink in one of the lounges beforehand so we were allowed to park there) and walk and it wasnt much closer, if at all, than parking on Pembina and walking to IGF.

And we did that in the cold cold weather too.  We did that in the rain.  And let me tell you, cold and rain was a lot more uncomfortable in CIS than it is in IGF.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

I travel 70miles each way. I get home at 12:30 from a 7:30 game.....70 miles away. One guy says he gets home at 12:30 in the city?? You are driving in circles than. I like parking at the value lot. 10 bucks, 5min shuttle ride to the tailgate area. I love Bomber Game Days! I love going to the games it is the highlight of the week for me on home game weeks!

Edited by Firekid

5 minutes ago, Firekid said:

I travel 70miles each way. I get home at 12:30 from a 7:30 game.....70 miles away. One guy says he gets home at 12:30 in the city?? You are driving in circles than. I like parking at the value lot. 10 bucks, 5min shuttle ride to the tailgate area. I love Bomber Game Days! I love going to the games it is the highlight of the week for me on home game weeks!

Agreed.  If you're stuck on campus that long, you're looking to be stuck on campus.  If you walk home, that's your choice.  If you take six buses, well too bad.  Last game, we hung out and had some drinks in the lounge and I still got home early.

The people that complain that IGF is much farther than CIS have to realize, not everyone lives in St James and not everything is going to be built in their back yard.   For example, if I want to go to IGF, it's super convenient.  When I want to go to Arby's, its a pain in the ass.  But if I want some sweet sweet beef n cheddar, I make the sacrifice.

Anyone who thinks they get to decide who a real fan is and isn't... based solely on how many home games they attend... all other factors be damned... ought to give their swollen head a shake. One day I was gifted 10 free tickets by Wade Miller himself simply because I look like a walking Bombers billboard every game day. I spend hours upon hours reading CFL news and lurking on fan forums. I nearly cried when Dinwiddie threw that pick and I probably will cry when we finally hoist the cup. I'm a fan and I'd challenge anyone to say to my face that I'm not - just because I buy flex packs instead of ST's.

Also if fans can only show support by spending money then I hope all these sanctimonious out of towners are buying the equivalent $ amount in merchandise, or recognize themselves as massive hypocrites. 

Just now, MOBomberFan said:

Anyone who thinks they get to decide who a real fan is and isn't... based solely on how many home games they attend... all other factors be damned... ought to give their swollen head a shake. One day I was gifted 10 free tickets by Wade Miller himself simply because I look like a walking Bombers billboard every game day. I spend hours upon hours reading CFL news and lurking on fan forums. I nearly cried when Dinwiddie threw that pick and I probably will cry when we finally hoist the cup. I'm a fan and I'd challenge anyone to say to my face that I'm not - just because I buy flex packs instead of ST's.

Also if fans can only show support by spending money then I hope all these sanctimonious out of towners are buying the equivalent $ amount in merchandise, or recognize themselves as massive hypocrites. 

The "real fan" argument is very lame.  It happens everywhere though.  You're not a real Jets fan if you dont go to every game.  You're not a real Star Trek fan if you dont hate DIscovery.  yadda yadda.

Ive never had Bombers' season tickets.  I go to a few games per year.  My buddy is  corporate sponsor and has a loge box.  We're both fans.  When I dont go, I watch every game on TV even if I have to watch it on delay and I avoid all social media/radio so I watch it like its live.

We're here talking about them...we're all fans.

21 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Awwww muffin. You live I  Winnipeg and can not be bothered to go to games, you need to give your head a shake. Call yourself a fan. Please. 

6 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Awwww muffin. You live I  Winnipeg and can not be bothered to go to games, you need to give your head a shake. Call yourself a fan. Please. 

I am a fan. Despite my busy and fulfilling lifestyle I still attend 3 games a year. You're a notoriously douchey and argumentative Albertan slinging mud from a woefully overburdened desk chair as if anyone other than Noeller cares what you think. Enjoy your seat at McMahon

14 hours ago, Brandon said:

St Boniface and Point Douglas ideas were much more centralized.    

Yes, but anyone who suggests that either were a serious option at the time is re-writing history.  Neither had any money behind them and would have cost 3 to 4 times the money to make viable.  There were two viable options put forward.  If not for our present situation, then we would still be sitting in Canad Inns stadium 10 times a year.

28 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The trick is make friends with somebody who lives within the restricted parking zone. They let you park on their driveway for free and you have an easy walk or bike ride in and then can get out fairly easy too.

I did that once in Mexico and they stole my car.  I honestly thought that "Hey Gringo" meant "Hey friend". 

33 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

The trick is make friends with somebody who lives within the restricted parking zone. They let you park on their driveway for free and you have an easy walk or bike ride in and then can get out fairly easy too.

Honestly, a few times we just paid the parking fee.  Usually the driver drives and the passengers cover the parking fee.  And we park right across the street.  We've arrived very close to kick off and there are spots available.  Also parked on Pembina...many more spots now than the first few games when it opened as more people seek alternative transportation.

A buddy throws his and his son's bike in the truck and park wherever its convenient and bike the rest of the way.

Some people will always want or need to drive and there are plenty of options.  For GnR I parked at my parent's apartment on University and walked the rest of the way.  

In regards to Point Douglas, imagine if they had leveled all those lower income homes to build a stadium.  And you're still going to have issues in and out.  And it was never going to revitalize the area.  You'd have a giant cement building in a lower income area that sits empty the vast majority of the year.  It was a pie in the sky idea when Asper was throwing everything at the wall.

I think the only real alternative was Red River Ex site and that would have been fine too.  And then I could complain about the long drive to and from...

16 hours ago, Brandon said:

Nope I live on the complete other side of the city.   40 minute drive to University for me (compared to 20 minutes to Polo) ,   last game I went to the walk and drive from parking was not very convenient.     We usually would take the park and ride which was easier but very uncomfortable for my dad sitting in a kids school bus.    He's old, he's sick and for him it's much more enjoyable to watch the game on my 75" screen.   

For me I don't care because I'm physically able to walk long distances and sit in cramped buses.   

In my opinion the CFL and NFL fan is getting really old... a lot of old timers are into CFL.

The location is the absolute shits I don't think anyone really can dispute that.  Had they made it more central I think they would have an easier time drawing more of the casual fans.    

That's great he likes going to games but unfortunately for old and sick people, going just about anywhere is not going to be a comfortable experience. 

As a younger fan myself, If you don't think having the stadium so close to the university has brought in a TON of new and younger fans you're lost, and those are the fans the team is trying to bring in, not the 40-70 yr old lifetime fans.

19 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I don't believe the point is even arguable.  If you park on campus it takes forever to get off.  The other option is parking kilometers away.  If you take the bus it takes a long time to both get onto a bus and then get off the campus.  I've never been to a game where the time from leaving my seat to getting my vehicle onto the Perimeter took less than a hour that's from 2015 on.  Prior to that we still lived in the city and used the park and ride, not much of a difference there, get home between 11:30-midnight.

I think most casual fans would view the games as an event to go to 1 or 2 times a year given the time commitment now.  They've also lost a ton of season ticket holders between 2013 and now, some for on-field reasons who haven't come back, some for off-field (what we're talking about here and negative experiences with the past leadership).  I doubt the days of packing 29,000-30,000 in routinely when the team was competitive, picking up the casual fans, will ever happen at IGF.  IMO the teams the last 3 seasons have been the best we've had this side of 2001 in this millennium and there's certainly lots of hype, but 27,000 is seen as a good crowd. 

I never lived anywhere near the old stadium but going by either car or bus we'd be at our watering hole in our younger days at the complete opposite end of the city within an hour after 0:00 no problem.

They are also competing with HD TV both at home and local bars.

Most observations are fair but to say getting off campus "takes forever" is just clearly a lie, I've gotten out in less than 15 minutes many times.

When we start going as far as saying its uncomfortable or difficult for old sick fans to get there, I mean really...we're not talking sense anymore.  Im sure CIS would be very comfortable for the elderly and sick. 

I'd like to know where someone lives that it takes 40 minutes to get to the UofM.  But even then, it took me longer many times to get to CIS from the south end (Kenaston gridlock).

IGF isnt too far at all.  Some people might be too far though.  But thats their problem.

32 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Most observations are fair but to say getting off campus "takes forever" is just clearly a lie, I've gotten out in less than 15 minutes many times.

I live an hour south of the city and was at the game last week. We parked 30 mins away from the stadium at the LC on Pembina (my lazy excuse to get a workout instead of going to the gym). Literally zero traffic heading southbound from there, just waited for red lights but other than that was off to the races. When I had season tickets at CanadInns, I would get stuck between St. James to Ness turning onto Kenaston for at least the length of my 30 minute walk. We used to run right after the final buzzer to get to the car to try to sneak out via Empress instead but that was hit and miss.

TL;DR, everyone has had different experiences at both locations and it probably depends on which direction you are going after that determines your commuting experience to and from games.