Regular Season Bomber News & Discussion

BigBlue

22 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Look around the league the best quarterback are traditional pocket QBs. It’s a different game so much more athleticism in LB cores compared to 10-15 years ago. 

Don't buy that at all.

Johnny Football is not a pocket passer. If that were true there is no sense bringing a guy like that in.

3 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Look around the league the best quarterback are traditional pocket QBs. It’s a different game so much more athleticism in LB cores compared to 10-15 years ago. 

I suspect that the proliferation of packet passers in the CFL is because that is the dominant training of quarterbacks in US college. In our larger fields, any pivot who is a threat to run as a secondary option really stresses the opposing defences. A pure pocket passer has to be really precise and quick but there are a lot more of those to choose from.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

I suspect that the proliferation of packet passers in the CFL is because that is the dominant training of quarterbacks in US college. In our larger fields, any pivot who is a threat to run as a secondary option really stresses the opposing defences. A pure pocket passer has to be really precise and quick but there are a lot more of those to choose from.

It's because a quarterback who can't pass from the pocket is the easiest kind of quarterback to defend.  A quarterback who can pass from the pocket weaponizes the whole field and all of his teammates.

The best scrambling quarterbacks are dangerous because they can pass from the pocket too so they can't simply be defended based on their scrambling, teams have to defend the whole field.

4 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

I hope the Blue Brassd are talking to Bond instead of continuing " to go in a different direction" ... I bet after the Saskatchewan trauma Bond might reduce his salary expectations

Theres a thing called a ratio.. The reason we let him go in the first place. 

13 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Theres a thing called a ratio.. The reason we let him go in the first place. 

I would say salary cap more then ratio. Tough to justify the big dollars to a guard but no denying his talent. If the price is right I’d love him back here. He just solidifies our offensive line when he’s in the line up. 

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

It's because a quarterback who can't pass from the pocket is the easiest kind of quarterback to defend.  A quarterback who can pass from the pocket weaponizes the whole field and all of his teammates.

The best scrambling quarterbacks are dangerous because they can pass from the pocket too so they can't simply be defended based on their scrambling, teams have to defend the whole field.

I agree. Menziel starts getting protection from his starters he might just dissect the CFL defences like we have never seen.

5 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I agree that you need to be able to do both, unfortunately, encouraging anything outside of the pocket has not been a strong suit of the Bomber organization for over 20 years.

In my opinion, allowing a rookie QB to take off BY DESIGN now and then opens things up, gives him confidence, and allows for some success BEFORE he gets to the point of 3 years game experience. In fact, if Edmonton kept Reilly, Damon Allen, Dunnigan, or Tracey Ham in the pocket when they were rookies none of them may ever have developed into the QBs they became.  Too bad Bombers are so inept at designing any kind of run and shoot for their young QBs. This *could* have something to do with the fact that Winnipeg has been a grave yard for promising young QBs over the last 20 years... It's not a coincidence that Edmonton has been a QB development powerhouse over that same time. Just saying...

Edited by TheSource

Bond is out of luck for this year - - teams have filled their salary cap - - they can't pay big bucks to Bond - - he is also damaged by Jones firing based on merit ... Bond is only going to fetch a journeyman's wage on a one year contract ... he is of greater value to the Bombers than any other team because they know both his upside and downside ... do you think Bond really wants to play in Montreal ... he might have to sit until week 2 is over when the next ouch report comes out

6 hours ago, TheSource said:

I agree that you need to be able to do both, unfortunately, encouraging anything outside of the pocket has not been a strong suit of the Bomber organization for over 20 years.

In my opinion, allowing a rookie QB to take off BY DESIGN now and then opens things up, gives him confidence, and allows for some success BEFORE he gets to the point of 3 years game experience. In fact, if Edmonton kept Reilly, Damon Allen, Dunnigan, or Tracey Ham in the pocket when they were rookies none of them may ever have developed into the QBs they became.  Too bad Bombers are so inept at designing any kind of run and shoot for their young QBs. This *could* have something to do with the fact that Winnipeg has been a grave yard for promising young QBs over the last 20 years... It's not a coincidence that Edmonton has been a QB development powerhouse over that same time. Just saying...

I love how you constantly group 20 years of managers/coaches and presidents into one group like they've all been using the exact same model to run an organization. Lol. I'll give you credit though, you are really good at pretending to know what you're talking about.

6 hours ago, TheSource said:

Edmonton didn’t develop Reilly and the other guys were playing at a time when the game was completely different.  There were actual linebackers.  In 20 years Edmonton has developed 1 QB, Ricky Ray.

If the Bombers came out Thursday with a bunch of read option kind of stuff more focused on running using Streveler or Bennett they would stun Edmonton.  Nobody is ready for that basically playing a 4-2-6 with DB’s for linebackers.  Think of what the Bombers did last year to them with Harris and Flanders and multiply it by 100.  Stunned.

26 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Edmonton didn’t develop Reilly and the other guys were playing at a time when the game was completely different.  There were actual linebackers.  In 20 years Edmonton has developed 1 QB, Ricky Ray.

If the Bombers came out Thursday with a bunch of read option kind of stuff more focused on running using Streveler or Bennett they would stun Edmonton.  Nobody is ready for that basically playing a 4-2-6 with DB’s for linebackers.  Think of what the Bombers did last year to them with Harris and Flanders and multiply it by 100.  Stunned.

Agree 100%

Why scout a guy like Streveler when they are not prepared to use all his physical gifts?

6 hours ago, Floyd said:

I think the decision should be more - is Couture/Neufeld at RT that much worse or possibly as good as Hardrick...

Bond is a force at LG and Bombers will rely on our run game in a major way until Nichols is back...

Neufeld at tackle is bad news, but we saw what the line looked like without Bond and Neufeld at guard last year, and it was fine, as good as it was all year. So I dunno why we would even entertain Neufeld at RT when that has been a disaster every time they've tried it, but having 2 american tackles and 3 canadians inside worked at the end of last year. 

Bond was great and a big part of changing the fortunes of this team when he went in, and the Riders are absolute idiots for thinking they have better options than him, but the simple fact is that the Bombers have spent a lot of draft picks on the offensive line and have done well bringing in other American offensive linemen that we are in a position where we can lose a guy like Bond and carry on with a strong offensive line.