Regular Season Bomber News & Discussion

BigBlue

Training Camp is over, the roster has been set, and the biggest Q is who should MOS start at QB.

The Bomber Brass are comparing notes on that and have yet to decide so its not clear cut by any means. The default is Ross by a nose but we could have 3 legit thoroughbreds in our stable all at once.

I personally believe Steveler has the most upside based on pure talent, scrambling pizzazz, and the ability to see the whole field. He is also the most likely to turn the ball over and make gigantically good plays. Ross will protect the ball best and run the short game well.

Ross may have played the most regular season downs but Bennett has the most experience especially in the Bomber system. I can see us saying later in the year "why didn't we start using Bennett earlier?" He is my pick for short yardage QB but I would be happy with Steveler in that role too.  My best guess: Ross starts but Steveler comes in as soon as Ross has two or three bad series in a row.

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

Training Camp is over, the roster has been set, and the biggest Q is who should MOS start at QB.

The Bomber Brass are comparing notes on that and have yet to decide so its not clear cut by any means. The default is Ross by a nose but we could have 3 legit thoroughbreds in our stable all at once.

I personally believe Steveler has the most upside based on pure talent, scrambling pizzazz, and the ability to see the whole field. He is also the most likely to turn the ball over and make gigantically good plays. Ross will protect the ball best and run the short game well.

Ross may have played the most regular season downs but Bennett has the most experience especially in the Bomber system. I can see us saying later in the year "why didn't we start using Bennett earlier?" He is my pick for short yardage QB but I would be happy with Steveler in that role too.  My best guess: Ross starts but Steveler comes in as soon as Ross has two or three bad series in a row.

MOS should hold off on releasing this information until later in the week,

There is no sense in giving Edmonton the ability to plan for that guy all week.

2 hours ago, BigBlue said:

That statement alone is probably all we need to know and based on Lapo's penchant to not stretch the field.  Ross will be our starter on Thursday night.

Ross had a horrible first pre-season game and a good 2nd one. That's what I expect to continue happening for a while, even in game. Inexperienced QB's are almost always hot and cold. They'll do something great then something stupid. They'll make a great read, then a bad one. They'll run for a big gain, then take too long in the pocket and get sacked. They'll deliver on time on target then late or off target. We simply have to expect the good with the bad. It comes with the territory.

2 hours ago, BigBlue said:

Regular Season discussion useless???

I detect animus and bias for normal course activities.

Why is it so important that YOU start so many threads?? You like seeing your name & Bonzo The Chimp at the start of every discussion? Or is it just something simple like stroking your ego?

49 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Ross has shown the ability to make reads and distribute the ball much better to run a full offense.

Strevler is much more raw but has ridiculous speed and confidence.

Starter will be Ross but Strevler will get some snaps imo

Ross reminds me a bit of Willy as he hangs onto the ball too long and is reluctant to throw it out of bounds. I do not think he sees the field as well

as Strevler. BigBlue...ross will protect the ball better? based on what? he fumbled first offensive play of the game!

1 minute ago, blitzmore said:

Ross reminds me a bit of Willy as he hangs onto the ball too long and is reluctant to throw it out of bounds. I do not think he sees the field as well

as Strevler. BigBlue...ross will protect the ball better? based on what? he fumbled first offensive play of the game!

That first fumble was technically a strip, but yes he needed to protect the ball better.  

44 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

That first fumble was technically a strip, but yes he needed to protect the ball better.  

That was really the one case of bad ball protection from him. And in that play, to be fair the OL played like he was darian durant. 

Ross or streveler (most likely both) will have to first and foremost protect the ball. That and limit going 2 and out. I feel like ross is gonna be the guy to drive the field and start the game while streveler is the one to finish games and drives. 

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Why does this bother you soooo much?

Why the need to start this thread when we have one already? True Blue will start a thread that could be part of another existing thread. He does that all the time. We can discuss Bomber news on Rich's CFL thread along with other CFL news. This thread is redundant. 

2 hours ago, BBlink said:

Ross has shown the ability to make reads and distribute the ball much better to run a full offense.

Strevler is much more raw but has ridiculous speed and confidence.

Starter will be Ross but Strevler will get some snaps imo

Streveler's running ability has to be part of this offense regardless of who is starting.  That's a huge weapon and we have backfield weapons that can make that very hard to defend with an option package.  I'd love to see him and Harris and Augustine and Demski and Flanders running over Konar and Sherritt all night.

16 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Streveler's running ability has to be part of this offense regardless of who is starting.  That's a huge weapon and we have backfield weapons that can make that very hard to defend with an option package.  I'd love to see him and Harris and Augustine and Demski and Flanders running over Konar and Sherritt all night.

<start memo>

But Bomber tradition (a directive from the BOD down) is that this organization ONLY supports pocket passing style.

There will be no discussion of QB's running the ball. Any QB who runs will be subsequently benched unless he is tackled for a loss or only a short gain.

WE NEED TO BE CONSERVATIVE BOYS!!!!

<end memo>

49 minutes ago, TheSource said:

<start memo>

But Bomber tradition (a directive from the BOD down) is that this organization ONLY supports pocket passing style.

There will be no discussion of QB's running the ball. Any QB who runs will be subsequently benched unless he is tackled for a loss or only a short gain.

WE NEED TO BE CONSERVATIVE BOYS!!!!

<end memo>

Look around the league the best quarterback are traditional pocket QBs. It’s a different game so much more athleticism in LB cores compared to 10-15 years ago.