3 stars + HH BC edition.

wbbfan

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

You people who only show up after a loss are always a lot of fun...thanks for coming....try the veal, tip your waitress before you go....

Its more the dark (blue) side of fans that comes out after a loss. You can look back not long ago at all and see some people who sang the praises of players/coaches as elite talent, now ready to jettison them and so on. You can see people saying X position has the worst talent in the league and then loving the same players at said position when the team decides to make an appearance too. 

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

He had 3 great drives.  That's excellent.  If our D didn't come up huge repeatedly with the field tilted and both D and teams score or set up the offence in the red zone it's a blow out.  Guy needs to find some kind of consistency.

And it was half of the 3rd Q and most of the 4th where we couldn't get a first down. Not exactly clutch.

I agree but Darvin Adams should of had that deep ball that was perfectly thrown in the 4th. If he hangs on to that we likely win the game. I saw the stat line and Matt Nichols gets the least amount of help from his receivers on "tough" catches in the league. Sometimes the playmakers need to bring it down. I mean 3 TD's, 1 rushing TD, and 42 points of offense should be enough to win most games, our defense was awful. 

2 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

I agree but Darvin Adams should of had that deep ball that was perfectly thrown in the 4th. If he hangs on to that we likely win the game. I saw the stat line and Matt Nichols gets the least amount of help from his receivers on "tough" catches in the league. Sometimes the playmakers need to bring it down. I mean 3 TD's, 1 rushing TD, and 42 points of offense should be enough to win most games, our defense was awful. 

what stat line was that?

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

It was a stat line based on the reciever making "deemed" difficult catches. I was a beer or two in so I don't remember exactly.

Was that on tsn? Off the top of my head, aside from it being a difficult thing to quantify statistically our offense very very low usage of deep passes would skew results a good deal. Ob talked about nichols deep ball completion % being among the lowest in the league. This year and last we saw some lousy drops and bobbles. But we also see nichols miss and over throw open deep targets a good portion of our small sample size. 

People often see a WR get close to a ball or have it go off the finger tips and think, oh he should have had that. Instead of recognizing an incredible effort and going all out just to make it a close play. In general i dont agree with a lot of people on whats a drop and whats a just miss on a huge effort. 

7 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

The offense didn't score all of those points - far from it.

When they had one two & out after another in the 4th quarter, the defense had to break sooner or later. Even then, BC needed a gift interception to take the lead. 

1 minute ago, DanoT said:

The key stat line was the both QBs completed 28 passes. Nichols for 241 yards, Lulay for 404 yards.

Cant ignore that for sure. For a good portion of the game lulay had more yards then our offense combined, and at times a near 2:1 advantage. But its hard to out yard another team when you play half as many quarters, and spot them a huge edge early on in TOP. 

The stat that is referred to was shown on TSN at half time I believe and showed who made the most unlikely catches as those quarterbacks who benefited from them. I believe they only tell one part of the story, the other being the accuracy and attempts by a QB. It is worthy of note and has been mentioned here that both QBs threw for 28 completions while one nearly doubled the other in yardage. Further our average yards per completion is below 10 yards and is likely near the bottom of the league. While I think there is a place for dink and dunk, to rely on it only throughout a game only suggests to me that the opposition need not worry about the long ball because either our QB can't throw it consistently like Lulay, Ray or Rielly OR our OC doesn't believe in it OR a combination of both which then suggests while Nichols may be somewhat efficient in TD to INT ratio, and that is changing quickly, he is not perhaps the QB that will take us to where we want to go. If our STs were to take LaPolice's attitude toward their phase of the game, we would never see the trick plays we have seen and the improvements that we normally see. Yes it can be argued that we had over 300 yds of offense and over 400 last game but to play for a tie in perhaps 3 of our 4 games is not acceptable if you are supposed to have a winning attitude and football club. Just my opinion.

not so sure they are subjective. I think they would be compiled by going over film and counting the number of throws to various receivers and catches etc. They would be subjective in the regard of difficulty per catch yes you are right but when you see Adams make a one handed catch or the others from BC making circus catches then I would guess that would count toward the stat and some of the subjectivity would be eliminated? But yes you are right in the fact the difficulty of the catch would be subjective, the rest not so sure

So Long Bannatyne, (a "Guess who" fan),  posted an article re passing to this point,

the Bombers have the 3d most attempts of 20 yards or more.

So the idea that they don't attempt long passes is wrong.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/07/21/ferguson-stretching-field-downfield-efficiency/

Matt Nichols takes downfield shots on passing plays more than any other quarterback in the CFL.

Nichols is getting the 4th cleanest pocket for downfield pass attempts but is the least accurate quarterback on passes of twenty or more yards right now in the CFL.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

not so sure they are subjective. I think they would be compiled by going over film and counting the number of throws to various receivers and catches etc. They would be subjective in the regard of difficulty per catch yes you are right but when you see Adams make a one handed catch or the others from BC making circus catches then I would guess that would count toward the stat and some of the subjectivity would be eliminated? But yes you are right in the fact the difficulty of the catch would be subjective, the rest not so sure

TBH I wouldn't count that Adams catch as difficult.  He chose to grab it one handed.  The ball was placed where only he could get it and he had a step on the DB.  He chose not to turn his shoulders and took it one handed but also could have rose up and caught it with two.

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

So Long Bannatyne, (a "Guess who" fan),  posted an article re passing to this point,

the Bombers have the 3d most attempts of 20 yards or more.

So the idea that they don't attempt long passes is wrong.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/07/21/ferguson-stretching-field-downfield-efficiency/

Pass-attempts-of-20-yards-per-game-800x4

Success Rate:

Accuracy-on-passe-of-20-yards-800x417.pn

3rd in attempts over 20 yards. 10th in accuracy over 20 yards.

16 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I still don't understand how you make that call on 3rd and 15 though. Trick plays inherently won't work 100% of the time, but even if Jones makes that catch, he still has to get 15...

for a fake punt to work, more than just the punter has to know that its going to be a fake....sigh...

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

TBH I wouldn't count that Adams catch as difficult.  He chose to grab it one handed.  The ball was placed where only he could get it and he had a step on the DB.  He chose not to turn his shoulders and took it one handed but also could have rose up and caught it with two.

I don't know. It looked like it was going to be an over throw. I thought Adams did a good job catching up to that ball at all.

6 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Sometimes, most times, it's not about what the total numbers are it's when you make those numbers happen, and the INT that Nichols threw was at the worst possible time. 

They should stop showing him Kevin Glenn game film to learn from.

great chart! It verifies one aspect I referred to and that is our QB can't throw the long ball. With the worst completion percentage in the league and third in attempts, well that speaks for itself. I also notice our receivers are standing waiting for the ball a lot; not sure if by design or otherwise but the other teams we have played, their receivers are in full stride most of the time when the ball arrives. Just saying.