Looking Ahead: Winnipeg Vs Calgary

1 minute ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Very wrong? There just aren't 33,500 hardcore football / Bomber fans, that's all.  I'm pulling for a sell-out too, but wouldn't be shocked if we fell short. 

Forget which stadium we play in, 30K is a great number to hit.  We just need to do it more often, not just the opener and Banjo Bowl. 

30 k would probably put us top 2 in the league behind Edmonton only. 

Just now, Goalie said:

30 k would probably put us top 2 in the league behind Edmonton only. 

Well, SSK then EDM, then us.

CGY is often over 30K average too.  Some were questioning their attendance of late in another thread. Numbers do seem to be down in the last couple of years, but they've still hit 30K avg more often than not the last 10 years.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Very wrong? There just aren't 33,500 hardcore football / Bomber fans, that's all.  I'm pulling for a sell-out too, but wouldn't be shocked if we fell short. 

Forget which stadium we play in, 30K is a great number to hit.  We just need to do it more often, not just the opener and Banjo Bowl. 

I have to agree with this. There are many factors responsible for attendance in past days and you simply can't say "Okay, everything's fine now, come on back." 

And the 33,000+ number is a goal to try to reach. It shouldn't be expected all the time. Hopefully, in the future...

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

IGF should probably have only been built for 30000. I think asking 33000 out is tough anywhere in the CFL. 

your neglecting to consider expansion for greycups and whatnot.  30k is a nice number but having more seats equals more profit.

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

your neglecting to consider expansion for greycups and whatnot.  30k is a nice number but having more seats equals more profit.

You don't build a church for Christmas mass. 

You can add extra seating for Grey Cups. 

30k proved to be that sweet spot at CanadInns.   33k is proving to be too large.  

Something to be said for when there is demand for tickets.   Creates a sense of urgency for the buyer. 

Just now, Rich said:

You don't build a church for Christmas mass. 

You can add extra seating for Grey Cups. 

30k proved to be that sweet spot at CanadInns.   33k is proving to be too large.  

Something to be said for when there is demand for tickets.   Creates a sense of urgency for the buyer. 

ya thats a good point too.  then again, when we become a winning franchise again, whos to say that 33k wont be the sweet spot.  its not like the 3k when we hit 30k is all that noticeable.

I also still hear from some people that "traffic out of there was terrible the last time I went" (which was in the first year) and I will never go back... I personally have never really had any issues with the traffic and I tell everyone who will listen, but some people just choose to use the first year hicups as an excuse.  Obviously just casual fans, but unfortunately you just can't convince some people once they've made up their minds.

Just now, Sard said:

I also still hear from some people that "traffic out of there was terrible the last time I went" (which was in the first year) and I will never go back... I personally have never really had any issues with the traffic and I tell everyone who will listen, but some people just choose to use the first year hicups as an excuse.  Obviously just casual fans, but unfortunately you just can't convince some people once they've made up their minds.

first impressions are a killer yup.

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

More profit in the short term, but doesn't mean they'd be healthier long term.

I fight this notion seemingly daily that the New Winnipeg Arena is not perfect at it's current size.  17,500 seat building would simply have a few thousand more upper deck / cheap seats and eliminate most of the pent up demand for tickets.  Same applies here, IMO.

Just now, Sard said:

Agreed, there's still tons of this out there.  I can't for the life of me understand why the "traffic is too bad crowd" drives to begin with.  Drive to any of the park & ride locations all over the city, get the $5 ride to the game. Get a ride back to P&R afterwards.  No fighting traffic leaving stadium, no fighting traffic at your P&R location - and chances are it'll be closer to home. Convenient & well run. 

I personally have a ton of friends who are very casual fans, hardcore drinkers that are going to be coming to the game. I took them to the pre season game and we actually watched quite a bit of it, they had a blast. Gonna try to stay in the seats as long as we can and will try to see if I can convert them into true blue fans.

Edited by Gotmilt

7 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Apparently we have not beat Calgary at home since 2009. Scary. Time to end that streak.

Confirmed. Mike Kelly is the greatest head coach we've ever had. 

EDIT: that was actually his first career win 42-30!

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Taking my girl friend to her first Bomber game tomorrow night! Should be a good one. 

Rookie move, hopefully she doesn't ask "why is everyone cheering" or "what does offsides mean" too much, I used to watch with my aunt when i was just a young one. I think after close to 15 years she finally gets it. 

Edited by Gotmilt

51 minutes ago, do or die said:

1.  Sell it out anyways.....

2.  Make mincemeat out of Bovine Levi and the rest of those swine.

Hopefully the curse of playing at IGF is in the past, nothing worse than selling out and then sucking eggs.  They need to capitalize on the crowd, entertain them and build off a victory.  Turn in a bad performance and a huge percentage of the audience will leave muttering in disgust "told you so, we're not coming back again this year". 

15 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Rookie move, hopefully she doesn't ask "why is everyone cheering" or "what does offsides mean" too much, I used to watch with my aunt when i was just a young one. I think after close to 15 years she finally gets it. 

Haha! We watched the game on TV on Canada day. She wasn't so bad. Hoping she'll keep me in line so that I'm not spending so much time at the Rum Hut!

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

first impressions are a killer yup.

The jets support also doesnt come with out cost to other sports, mainly the blue. Last year half the games chat had tons of jets talk and jets score updates etc. We could, and would have supported a contending blue team to the tune of sell outs in that stadium every game prior to the jets coming back. 

12 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Had they made the stadium at  a central location then they would have had much less trouble selling those extra seats.

I know several fair weather fans and they do not like the location and the extra travel time at the new place.  

What if you don't live in St.James? personally I live 5 minutes from the new place so no extra travel for me.

More central? yup good luck plopping a football stadium downtown.