Looking Ahead: Winnipeg Vs Calgary

1 hour ago, coach17 said:

Basically by winning the war in the trenches, controlled pressure means you keep Mitchell in the pocket and make him hurry his throws. Calgary looks beatable, I think we have the personall up front to make it happen. Offence needs a grinding type attack with lot of high percentage underneath throws, and a healthy dose of Andrew Harris. We can't afford a lot of 2 and outs early, Calgary's O is just to good to give them a lot of opportunity.

I'm all for pressure and love the intensity that Westerman and Okpalaugo bring to the table... but they can't take those 15-yarders against the 'Stamps and expect to win.

I remember a time last year when many people,  even after we went on that 7 game win streak,  didn't give the Bombers much of a chance vs BC in the back to back games. We came out of the gate and punched BC right in the **** with some trick plays and strong start.  Sure we let them back into the game (they were a good team after all) but after all was said and done with beat them both games. We also nearly beat Calgary in Calgary last year after a slow start.  So i'm thinking how we start will determine if it's #ForTheW or #BeatTheTraffic

50 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I remember a time last year when many people,  even after we went on that 7 game win streak,  didn't give the Bombers much of a chance vs BC in the back to back games. We came out of the gate and punched BC right in the **** with some trick plays and strong start.  Sure we let them back into the game (they were a good team after all) but after all was said and done with beat them both games. We also nearly beat Calgary in Calgary last year after a slow start.  So i'm thinking how we start will determine if it's #ForTheW or #BeatTheTraffic

Its fun watching a team who stays in the game.  So many years of the wheels coming off as soon as we were down...  I don't think there's any sure thing this year - one way or the other.  This team finds a way to win but does it the hard way.

Just now, Floyd said:

Its fun watching a team who stays in the game.  So many years of the wheels coming off as soon as we were down...  I don't think there's any sure thing this year - one way or the other.  This team finds a way to win but does it the hard way.

yep,  I think the Hamilton beat down last year was the only game they really played 60 mins and were clicking on all 3 phases

2 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

So many good things about last year and 11-7 is a very respectable record. A few warts too but we're hoping to see those resolved soon.

I'm still concerned with the way we start games on both sides of the ball. I'd love to see this team come out of the gate, pedal-to-the-metal and keep it up for 60 minutes. The fact that we don't do that tells me that the coaches maybe don't think we have the horses for that or are maybe concerned with the chance for injury. Other than that I just don't know why we start slow and only seem to play well in spurts.

On O we tend to go ultra-conservative when we get a lead and teams seem to know this about us and really pour it on and overwhelm our D. Before we know it we have lost momentum and always seem to be barely hanging on at the end.

The West semi-final loss to BC still hurts after we seemingly had that game in the bag. I'd gladly trade those two regular season wins for that playoff win.

13 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Disagree, you're describing the 2015 team not this version, they didn't get blown out by any team last year and there's no reason it should happen this year.  This is a competitive team on both sides of the ball and one of the biggest improvements over past teams is the great leadership they have on the field.

I hope you are right... I just believe we are going to be outcoached this week

This will be a good test. A chance for Bombers to earn some RESPECT.

Bombers played Stamps hard last year, especially the final game where we spotted them 24-0 lead and came back to almost take them as Calgary just stood around in the 2nd half looking complacent and arrogant.

Stamps look to be missing a few pieces this year and Bombers are probably better than a year ago.

We are very extremely-much overdue for a win vs Calgary. It'll be nice to rub BLMs nose in it.

I hope we see 60 minutes of good football, if we wait til the second quarter to get a first down we're toast. In the meetings we had last year with the stamps it was mostly Messam running through a porous front 7. Hope this new and improved D-line can close some holes on Messam and put a couple hits on BLM.

Personally, I think the slow start was a by-product of the extra week off and less about the ability of the offense to start fast but maybe I am being overly optimistic.

I agree with a few other points already stated - nice push from the interior D-line and the ends need to keep their sheet clean and stay away from the extra 15 yarders (although on further review from Derek Taylor this AM Westerman's looked pretty bang bang). If we disrupt BLM's rhythm and don't let him sit back and get comfortable then we have a good shot. Calgary's D looks more vulnerable than in years past and our offense can move the ball better than last year. I thought our blitzes were getting picked up by Sask early in the game but we started to have more success later on so we cant let that happen on Friday or we will get torched.

21 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

I hope we see 60 minutes of good football, if we wait til the second quarter to get a first down we're toast. In the meetings we had last year with the stamps it was mostly Messam running through a porous front 7. Hope this new and improved D-line can close some holes on Messam and put a couple hits on BLM.

In the last two meeting against the Stamps last year the Bombers held Messam to 65 and 72 yards, so he didn't run wild over them as he has in the past.  With Johnson and Nevis clogging up the middle it could be a different ball game.  I predict Sam "The Hammer" Hurl is the star of the game. :D

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

19 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

So I keep hearing Calgary is not as good as last year; most teams improved, how has the Stamps retrogressed or degenerated?

The o-line. the whole D. coaching.... what specifically has changed?

1. Loss of Derek Dennis, leagues best OL last year. 

2. Cordarro Law - Out with a broken leg,  was one of their better DLmen

3. Lavertu has been banged up early. Can't remember what OL went down last game but their back up also looked like he got hurt during the ottawa game.

4. Messam is getting older. And while 32 isn't super old,  a guy carrying that weight certainly speeds up the drop in play. He hasn't looked good so far in the past 2 weeks

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

In the last two meeting against the Stamps last year the Bombers held Messam to 65 and 72 yards, so he's didn't run wild over them as he has in the past.  With Johnson and Nevis clogging up the middle it could be a different ball game.  I predict Sam "The Hammer" Hurl is the star of the game. :D

I'm a Hurl truther, one of the only early supporters. I'm glad our group is growing.

A better game on the defensive side of the ball will be key this Friday. Hopefully, the necessary adjustments are made and we see a more consistent effort across the board. Home field advantage could help.

Offensively, a quicker start would be nice. Last week's first quarter was hideous, so getting a major or two on the first few drives would go a long way in getting the crowd into the game but also taking some pressure off the defense.

Calgary Herald article June 30 re stampeders. Both lines have injuries.

It’s almost surreal just how beat-up the Calgary Stampeders already are on both the defensive and offensive lines.

punt returner is very good.

running game not good so far.

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/five-takeaways-from-calgary-stampeders-win-over-ottawa-redblacks

Edited by Mark F