Regular Season - Bomber News, Developments & Speculation

BigBlue

On 7/17/2017 at 6:16 PM, Atomic said:

It's different for Canadians, especially veteran Canadians.  But by all means get your swords out because I was less than complimentary of a move.

Good thing you're tougher than the Black Knight!

flesh-wound.gif

25 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive lineman Matthias Goossen was fined for an unnecessary hit to a vulnerable player (Jeffrey Finley) in the game against the Toronto Argonauts.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive tackle Cory Johnson was fined for a high hit on Toronto Argonauts quarterback Ricky Ray.

I guess we all knew that fine was coming for Goosen and Johnson. 

Meh, it was worth it..

Exactly.

ldwi.gif

Edited by J5V

52 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

The CFL is in fine shape today:

TORONTO — The Canadian Football League (CFL) announced today:

Toronto Argonauts linebacker Marcus Ball was fined for an inappropriate gesture in the game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers on Thursday.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers offensive lineman Matthias Goossen was fined for an unnecessary hit to a vulnerable player (Jeffrey Finley) in the game against the Toronto Argonauts.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive tackle Cory Johnson was fined for a high hit on Toronto Argonauts quarterback Ricky Ray.

Calgary Stampeders running back Jerome Messam was fined for grabbing Montreal Alouettes linebacker Chip Cox’s facemask in a reckless and unsafe manner.

Ottawa REDBLACKS defensive lineman Avery Ellis was fined for a high hit on Edmonton Eskimos quarterback Mike Reilly.

As per league policy, the amount of the player fines was not disclosed.

I guess we all knew that fine was coming for Goosen and Johnson. 

Meh, it was worth it..

Johnson's one was bad.. accidental but still bad and avoidable.  

Goosen's was absolutely awesome.   the knockdown and pancake was totally worth the fine IMO.   I'm loving the attitude our O-line brings these days, won't take any crap and will make people feel that they've been in battle. 

17 hours ago, SPuDS said:

Goosen's was absolutely awesome.   the knockdown and pancake was totally worth the fine IMO.   I'm loving the attitude our O-line brings these days, won't take any crap and will make people feel that they've been in battle. 

Chungh rag-dolled a D-lineman on that very same play too... those 3 guys in the middle really bring the nasty... and I love it!

19 hours ago, SPuDS said:

Geeze, I thought that kind of play was why they drafted Spooner, looked like a good football play to me.

19 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Geeze, I thought that kind of play was why they drafted Spooner, looked like a good football play to me.

Me too honestly but I guess it was away from the play and the D-lineman had disengaged but really, it was a block imo.  play was still live..

*shrug*

Just now, Atomic said:

I don't think you are supposed to belly flop on a guy lying on the turf.  Strictly by the rules.  But same as the rest of you, I fully approved of it.

ya ok that might have been a smidge excessive lol. 

27 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Pretty typical for the first few years of any mortgage.

yea Bartley really ramped up the fear mongering on this.  I mean, of course we havent been able to put a dent into the "original" loan because we had to pay off that secondary one first.. and he says that but still implies that the team and the city are in some kind of dire straights.. 

I really hate how some of our local journalists try to sensationalize the snot out of such small molehills .. not everything needs to be made out to be a mountain.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

And most of that is from the city failing or overestimating what they could recover from the old stadium site.   

Without qualifying the title of their article it really sounds like the Bombers aren't paying their mortgage payments. 

The media in Winnipeg has had an agenda against the funding model for the stadium from the get go so it's no surprise. 

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

And most of that is from the city failing or overestimating what they could recover from the old stadium site.   

Without qualifying the title of their article it really sounds like the Bombers aren't paying their mortgage payments. 

and thats what annoyed me.  This team is struggling to rebuild their identity with the city's population and one of the biggest media outlet prints this slagging of the team and I know for a fact that there is many mouth breathers who are not going to look it objectively, see it as "bombers are failing again!" and we are going to hear the cries of "RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!" on message boards, FB and call in shows.  

whats the point of this? Why do the writers go out of their way to make the team and it's management group look badly.. I don't get it.

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Because they envision themselves as champions of the people holding the politicians who spend their tax dollars feet to the flames. 

Probably the earliest form of slacktivism. Go to journalism school, be barely competent enough at said discipline to get a job with a small city newspaper, and remain bitter for the duration of your career holding public servants "accountable" by complaining ad nauseam about everything they do.

About as sad as what Friesen and Wiecek do "writing" about our local sports teams.

Great article on QB ball placement and stretching the field by Marshall Ferguson, interesting that Nichols takes more long shots than any other QB but has among the lowest success rate completing those passes.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/07/21/ferguson-stretching-field-downfield-efficiency/?utm_source=feedburner

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The media in Winnipeg has had an agenda against the funding model for the stadium from the get go so it's no surprise. 

Rightfully so.  It's been BS from day one.  Tens of millions below cost.  The mortgage keeps growing because they keep running into more trouble and requiring more financing, not actually making payments on the big chunk.

Fact is we were lied to by the previous government, Asper and previous Blue Bomber administrators.  They low balled the cost to get approved and the taxpayer will end up paying for it.  Do I care about that?  No I don't.  It was necessary, the stadium.  The lying should really result in people locked up, and not just for this project.  The development/construction industry and politicians of the 00s and early 10s pulled a lot of cons on us.

13 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Great article on QB ball placement and stretching the field by Marshall Ferguson, interesting that Nichols takes more long shots than any other QB but has among the lowest success rate completing those passes.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/07/21/ferguson-stretching-field-downfield-efficiency/?utm_source=feedburner

That was an interesting read. Thanks for the link.

12 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

not surprising, The Qb with the most passes downfield were, lulay and ray, both games were against Tigercats. That's when I became fearful of Ray.

thanks good article.

9 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

A great offensive coach used to say that you have to go deep once a quarter regardless of your success rate if you want to be able to run the ball effectively.  There is a lot of truth to that statement.  By stretching the defense vertically, you force the defense to honour that part of the field and it will open up holes underneath.  This shows a little about the philosophy, but the numbers can be greatly impacted by the game situation factors. 

20 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Rightfully so.  It's been BS from day one.  Tens of millions below cost.  The mortgage keeps growing because they keep running into more trouble and requiring more financing, not actually making payments on the big chunk.

Fact is we were lied to by the previous government, Asper and previous Blue Bomber administrators.  They low balled the cost to get approved and the taxpayer will end up paying for it.  Do I care about that?  No I don't.  It was necessary, the stadium.  The lying should really result in people locked up, and not just for this project.  The development/construction industry and politicians of the 00s and early 10s pulled a lot of cons on us.

That's typical BS that goes along with any big project whenever a politician or developer steps up to speak about creating jobs while holding out their hand for public funding.  You may see an accountant standing in the background representing some form of financial responsibility but they never let him near the microphone.