Regular Season - Bomber News, Developments & Speculation

BigBlue

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

3rd round is stupid value, stupid good.  Julian Lynch was a 2nd round pick this year.  None of the receivers taken in this years draft have anything near the production of Wolitarsky at the level he played at, NCAA power 5 conference Big 10.  I'd bet if he went in this past draft class he'd be a 1st or early 2nd rounder.

No kidding. Crazy good steal. 

Love the way he moves, finds soft spots, but especially the way he attacks the ball with his hands and doesnt depend on the body catch like soo many young wrs. Looks the ball into his hands then turns up and takes what he can get. Physical, great size n tool set. Looks like a real smart player too. freakin love this pick up. 

https://santaclaritafree.com/gazette/news/wolitarsky-great-catch-nfl

Pro day numbers of  4.67. 14 reps 225. 6.88 cone drill. 4.22 shuttle. His 40 would have been just out side the top 5. His shuttle is the same. 3 cone would have been the best at the combine this year. 

http://www.draftseason.com/2017/03/25/drew-wolitarsky-minnesota-gopher-wide-receiver/

Using 1 word describe your style of play. "crafty"

Edited by wbbfan

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

No kidding. Crazy good steal. 

Love the way he moves, finds soft spots, but especially the way he attacks the ball with his hands and doesnt depend on the body catch like soo many young wrs. Looks the ball into his hands then turns up and takes what he can get. Physical, great size n tool set. Looks like a real smart player too. freakin love this pick up. 

https://santaclaritafree.com/gazette/news/wolitarsky-great-catch-nfl

Pro day numbers of  4.67. 14 reps 225. 6.88 cone drill. 4.22 shuttle. His 40 would have been just out side the top 5. His shuttle is the same. 3 cone would have been the best at the combine this year. 

http://www.draftseason.com/2017/03/25/drew-wolitarsky-minnesota-gopher-wide-receiver/

Using 1 word describe your style of play. "crafty"

He looks like a bigger version of Dressler.

Maybe the thinking is that Poblah, Waggoner (not Richards), and now Wolitarsky, were plucked in the supplemental draft, and the first two had less than stellar careers?

You can find plenty to criticize Addison (throw down those shackles) Richards, but being a supp. draft bust isn't one of them.

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

1 minute ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Maybe the thinking is that Poblah, Waggoner (not Richards), and now Wolitarsky, were plucked in the supplemental draft, and the first two had less than stellar careers?

You can find plenty to criticize Addison (throw down those shackles) Richards, but being a supp. draft bust isn't one of them.

Just a stupid thing to say in general.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, 17to85 said:

Yeah the single biggest thing the Bombers did to improve last year was put the third american on the OL. Changed everything and turned a weakness into a strength. I expect it to continue this year. Give the rbs lots of holes to run through and the qbs time to make some throws and it's tough to stop. 

I look at our offensive line & the strength that it is. Then I look at Calgary which is held together by band aids, knee, back & shoulder braces. From what I see, that entire unit is going to have a tough year.

40 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Really not seeing any connection between the three players mentioned.

Just the toxic opinion towards our scouting of wrs, especially NI in the last fist full of years. We have had some young NIs come in with hype and do very little. People are jaded towards our drafting of NI wrs, and and even more so towards our supplemental picks. Going back to joe morgan we havent done well with those picks. For many reasons. 

He isnt the same kind of player as poblah, or jade. Richards is a similar athlete, but the difference between being a good wr at regina and the go to guy in a big 10 school is massive. Richards imo was a high potential low percentage pick. A guy with the raw tools to be an elite cfl ni wr. But not the greastest chance of full filling that potential.  wolitarsky is a good up side, good chance to full fill that potential. 

With blaszko, yachison, and now wolitarsky as young high up side guys to back up JFG (and coates though hes as much a teams guy as any thing)  Richards time here is running very low. Very happy with wolitarsky and blaszko though. And yachison showed very well too. Pretty happy with our NI depth. 

Edited by wbbfan

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Note to WBBFan, I wouldn't say this is the best O Line ever. There were some great ones during the Ken Ploen, Don Jonas, Dieter Brock & Tom Clements eras. Let's just say it's one of the best we've had in a long, long time.

Yeah if you go back far enough you probably find an ol as good. 84 perhaps. Though idk if even then we were as deep. The young up side we have behind the starters is incredible. 

44 minutes ago, Mark F said:

He looks like a bigger version of Dressler.

Some thing of a cross between ben cahoon and fantuz. Ofc not saying he is or will be either of those guys. Just that his skill set and size (fantuz) is very much similar to those two. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah if you go back far enough you probably find an ol as good. 84 perhaps. Though idk if even then we were as deep. The young up side we have behind the starters is incredible. 

Some thing of a cross between ben cahoon and fantuz. Ofc not saying he is or will be either of those guys. Just that his skill set and size (fantuz) is very much similar to those two. 

Oh yeah, I could talk a lot about past offensive lines with you but I think I'd bore a lot of the younger posters here. We had some great players pass thru here wearing Blue & Gold who were outstanding.

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

hope so. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Oh yeah, I could talk a lot about past offensive lines with you but I think I'd bore a lot of the younger posters here. We had some great players pass thru here wearing Blue & Gold who were outstanding.

chuck liebrock changed a flat tire for my ex spouse in the middle of the winter way back when. before becoming my "ex" spouse. forget the other guys, that was a good line. John Bonk maybe?

Edited by Mark F

8 minutes ago, Mark F said:

chuck liebrock changed a flat tire for my ex spouse in the middle of the winter way back when.

Chuck was a great blocker but he also was a body builder. The guy was jacked. Problem was he never incorporated a lot of stretching into his off season & in season workouts. He had a terrible time with his hamstrings pulling them on multiple occasions. The Bombers used to work out at a place on Provencher Blvd called the Fit Stop back in the late 70's. The Infamous Brian Jack had a little store on the second floor where he sold health drinks & supplements. Brian Herosian managed the place. I lifted with Brian a few times back then. Players like Randy Hallsall, Liebrock & Gary Roslowich worked out there. Liebrocks legs were like tree trunks. Hallsall was nuts. He was damned scary. Roid rage.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

:P Not the most exciting position for some. 84 and maybe early 90s OL as well. Its hard to compare athletes of multiple generations. Especially OL past a certain point. You get to a time pretty quickly when the average OL was 100lbs smaller then bond.  

21 minutes ago, tracker said:

Wolitarski looks to have good hands, good body control, not afraid of traffic, but isn't going to run away from many people. Maybe an Andy Fantuz sort of player.

Yes, this is the type of receiver that fits in well with what LaPolice likes to run - 5 yard outs or hook plays to the middle all day long...

Nothing wrong with that though. Joe Pop made a living catching shorter routes in traffic.

Addison Richards should get unloaded pretty soon if this guy signs to go along with Blasko. It's about time.

Just now, wbbfan said:

:P Not the most exciting position for some. 84 and maybe early 90s OL as well. Its hard to compare athletes of multiple generations. Especially OL past a certain point. You get to a time pretty quickly when the average OL was 100lbs smaller then bond.  

Guys are much bigger now & they train year round. I mentioned the Ken Ploen era but today those guys would be totally outsized & outmatched by a hundred pounds. But back in the day the Bomber offensive line under Bud Grant may have been the best of its particular era in comparison to the other 8 teams back then. However, I don't think Hamilton was too far behins. There was a reason the Bombers played in multiple Grey Cups with the Ti Cats from 57-65. Both had great offensive & defensive lines.

4 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Yes, this is the type of receiver that fits in well with what LaPolice likes to run - 5 yard outs or hook plays to the middle all day long...

Nothing wrong with that though. Joe Pop made a living catching shorter routes in traffic.

Addison Richards should get unloaded pretty soon if this guy signs to go along with Blasko. It's about time.

What injury does Richards have at the moment?

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What injury does Richards have at the moment?

Undisclosed lower body injury.

Out for 2 to 4 more weeks.

But similar to Neufeld, once healthy, it won't take more than an hour or two in practice or game situations until he gets himself back on the pogie train again. Some guys have that talent down to an art form and for some reason, ever since about 2009, Winnipeg Blue Bombers seem to have attracted a few of them. Does anyone know why we have been so unlucky that way?

21 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Undisclosed lower body injury.

Out for 2 to 4 more weeks.

But similar to Neufeld, once healthy, it won't take more than an hour or two in practice or game situations until he gets himself back on the pogie train again. Some guys have that talent down to an art form and for some reason, ever since about 2009, Winnipeg Blue Bombers seem to have attracted a few of them. Does anyone know why we have been so unlucky that way?

Seriously?