Pre-Season Week 2

Noeller

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Edmonton looking very mortal this year...  Benevides D does not impress me - I expect Nichols to look good

If Richie Hall gets lit up by Franklin and Edmonton's B squad, I'll have the panic button ready...

Time for that annual reminder that defensive schemes in pre-season are always bare bones as teams don't want to show all of their defensive sets in pre season for obvious (or so I'd hope would be obvious) reasons.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Time for that annual reminder that defensive schemes in pre-season are always bare bones as teams don't want to show all of their defensive sets in pre season for obvious (or so I'd hope would be obvious) reasons.

Ah yes, the annual reminder before Richie Hall's defence gives up the most yardage of any team in the regular season...

Or is this like the reminder that pre-season didn't matter when Drew Willy looked awful last year...?

... or when Tim Burke's team already looked defeated and when Etch's defence looked as confusing as we all knew it would be... 

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Ah yes, the annual reminder before Richie Hall's defence gives up the most yardage of any team in the regular season...

Or is this like the reminder that pre-season didn't matter when Drew Willy looked awful last year...?

... or when Tim Burke's team already looked defeated and when Etch's defence looked as confusing as we all knew it would be... 

The annual ultra negative b4 anything actually happens Floyd post? Check. 

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

If starting Hurl means we have a nearly-impenetrable Front 4 (thanks to Poop), then I'm okay with it...

Absolutely.

I believe the Bombers have identified weaknesses in the defence of yesteryear and have targeted areas to improve the overall play. More man, better rush, etc.

If you can offer up a more complete package of defensive players, keeping in mind our ratio, and it improves our defence, that is all I'm interested in seeing.

They've identified weaknesses, now we'll see if we fixed them..

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The annual ultra negative b4 anything actually happens Floyd post? Check. 

No its the annual twist my observations into negative comments and then follow up with righteous indignation.

Vanilla defence against vanilla offence should mean boring games...  not 200 yards by Brandon Bridge...  

Our starters are playing against their backups - I do not want to see James Franklin throw for 200+ in a half and I want to see Nichols march down the field and score on the first drive against Benevides.  That's not an unrealistic expectation.

7 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Absolutely.

I believe the Bombers have identified weaknesses in the defence of yesteryear and have targeted areas to improve the overall play. More man, better rush, etc.

If you can offer up a more complete package of defensive players, keeping in mind our ratio, and it improves our defence, that is all I'm interested in seeing.

They've identified weaknesses, now we'll see if we fixed them..

and I honestly don't think Hurl is *THAT* bad....he's adequate, but not a superstar Barrin Simpson-type....which is find, *IF* you have a dynamite Front 4. I'm not ready to say they've fixed their problems...not until I see it myself.....but it sure seems like they're trying.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

and I honestly don't think Hurl is *THAT* bad....he's adequate, but not a superstar Barrin Simpson-type....which is find, *IF* you have a dynamite Front 4. I'm not ready to say they've fixed their problems...not until I see it myself.....but it sure seems like they're trying.

agree 100% he is a capable MLB but he isn't an all-star or world beater..  IF we have a dominant front 4 then having an average MLB who can stop the RB if he gets thru or can cover a crossing route, we good.   Its not like hes an absolute slouch..

I guess... Hurl... It comes down to jake thomas vs Nick Temple or sam hurl vs poop johnson. Right now it looks like poop may just be the best option. 

And if that means when poop plays hurl does...so be it... Id imagine they DI temple and he comes in for hurl when thomas comes in for poop.

Just now, Noeller said:

This is what scares me...  I know he's made adjustments, but what Richie Hall D has succeeded without a superstar MLB - remember how his D completely fell apart after Rey Williams was injured?

Just feels like we're stuck with Hurl because Hall saw something in him back in 2012 and he just wants to prove that its there

I went through the roster and these are the players that will not be in either of the exhibition games.

Short Term Injuries : Maurice Leggett DB, Gerrard Sheppard WR ,Matt Coates WR  

Longer Term Injuries : Addison Richards WR, Darnell Walker Jr. DB, Ian Marouf DL, Abubakarr Conteh DB

And I haven't heard anything about these 2 players has anyone heard about an Injury ?

Cody Speller OL, Thomas  Miles LB 

Edited by BBFan

20 minutes ago, Floyd said:

So legit question...  has anyone actually seen Poop Johnson at training camp or are we all discussing his greatness - and starting Sam Hurl - based on a radio-broadcast of a turnover by Brian Bennett?

Hes been regularly mentioned by tait in his pieces for having a good camp. He was also mentioned quite a bit in that game... Was the one guy always causing problems for the sask oline. 

Question here. Sounds like the u of m receiver has had a pretty good camp and had a couple first down catches last game... If they decide hes an option for us this year... What needs to happen since its my understanding hes a CIS guy... Can they sign him? 

11 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Question here. Sounds like the u of m receiver has had a pretty good camp and had a couple first down catches last game... If they decide hes an option for us this year... What needs to happen since its my understanding hes a CIS guy... Can they sign him? 

Derek Yachison?  He is signed and under contract to the Bombers already.

I would be supprised in Yachison makes the team depending on how long Richards and Coates are out we don't really need 3 backups to JFG so if Coates or Richards is available for Week one ( and its 2+ weeks away ) I think Yachison will be cut and they will try and sign him to the PR.

4 minutes ago, BBFan said:

I would be supprised in Yachison makes the team depending on how long Richards and Coates are out we don't really need 3 backups to JFG so if Coates or Richards is available for Week one ( and its 2+ weeks away ) I think Yachison will be cut and they will try and sign him to the PR.

Richards is out long-term. I doubt we see him any time soon.