CFL Insider Lawless Leaving Canada

What a great job, an hour and a half or so away from Los Angeles and the endless numbers of things you can do there..... Good for him.

Next stop LA Raiders?

Onward and upward Gary Lawless.

Edited by Mark F

56 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Along with "huge loss" by atomic, sweep the leg "big loss", Floyds "expansion draft", rebusrankin "this is huge", I'd like to add, that Lawless leaving is a big deal and leaves a huge hole in our local sports commentary. On the other hand with Lawless casting his shadow n the Vegas sun, maybe we get to see Sarah Orlesky step into those big shoes as a backup. She's not entirely happy living in his shadow, so to speak.

Its a big shadow to fill.

cEYFeDB8PpXqYekMuPK.gif

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ill disagree.  And here's why.  Lawless never ran off half-cocked.  The key to appreciating him is reading between the lines.  And was very insightful with analysis.  And while Hustler is great, he's not a journalist or insider.  And he's a fan.  Gary was not from Winnipeg and he repeatedly said he was not looking at things like a fan.  He'd play devil's advocate a lot.  very entertaining.

H&L was always better when Gary was on.  He will be missed a lot.

So how does TSN replace him (both as the Winnipeg correspondent and on 1290)?  Reassign someone from somewhere else?  Bump up or offer the gig to someone locally?

Lawless kept mellow which I appreciated  (I'm not a fan of sports guys ranting all of the time). 

But at times he was so disinterested and you wouldn't even know if he was on the radio or not. 

Hustler bases his opinions on his emotions a little to much and does knee jerk frequently. 

Your point about him being a devil's advocate is kind of true,  but his opinion frequently flip flops as often as the rollercoaster fans do on this site.   He likes to be the contrarian and I don't think he really believes some of the stuff he says. 

He'll be missed but he is replaceable.     Losing him won't be as huge of a loss as when Irving decides to retire.  

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Don't anybody say that Lawless isn't a fan of the CFL. That guy's clearly been a fan for a really long time, including a stint with the Argos in 96. Dude LOVES the CFL...

I'll say it,   he barely talks CFL on his show and when he does it's really in a disinterested manner and he doesn't really provide any kind of info anymore.  He's all in on the NHL these days. 

Bauming when he is on the radio provides way more info.

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Don't anybody say that Lawless isn't a fan of the CFL. That guy's clearly been a fan for a really long time, including a stint with the Argos in 96. Dude LOVES the CFL...

Glad I wasn't the only one who found that comment perplexing.

It's as easy as taking a gander at what CFL players & media are saying about his move. 

49 minutes ago, Mark F said:

There are a few hundred espn guys and gals they could get to take that job.

Or...... NOELLER!

If I never had to mention NFL, NBA, UFC, Boxing........I could do Hus's job, for sure....

pretty sure dunk surpassed lawless as an CFL inside scooper over the last year or so, so those shoes should already be taken care of. 

Never listen to H&L but i know I usually tuned out Lawless at intermissions watching the jets because far to often I found him stating the obvious and not really adding much in the way of context

Lawless is a hell of a reporter but his opinions are pretty uninteresting and driven by phony narratives he needs to support.  I've found him fairly lazy in doing actual knowledgeable reporting and writing since he left the Freep.  I'm excited to see what some of the next generation of reporters can do both locally and in the national CFL beat. Bauming in particular is quite good but likely more in line to be Bob Irving's successor.

Had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

On 2017-05-03 at 11:56 AM, Rod Black said:

Along with "huge loss" by atomic, sweep the leg "big loss", Floyds "expansion draft", rebusrankin "this is huge", I'd like to add, that Lawless leaving is a big deal and leaves a huge hole in our local sports commentary. On the other hand with Lawless casting his shadow n the Vegas sun, maybe we get to see Sarah Orlesky step into those big shoes as a backup. She's not entirely happy living in his shadow, so to speak.

The upside, who would you rather look at more ;) 

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Have you ever done sports, Noeller? Or wanted to move into that area of broadcasting?

I'm more of a music guy, but I can do (and have done, on a small scale) Sports and News...it just hasn't been my primary objective the last 15 years. I host Election Coverage events (huge Poli-junkie) and can host round-table format sports talk. Essentially what Huss does for H+L, I can do, and have done on a smaller scale....

As for Penton not being like Lawless...maybe that's a good thing? Here's the thing about doing that gig....you're not trying to directly replace GL, 'cause that's a fool's errand. Whoever comes in next has to be their own person and bring their own style. And if it *IS* Penton, who's to say he's not capable of being a little more "bold" in his opinions? We've only ever really heard him on buttoned-down CJOB, right? Maybe if you put him on TSN and give him free reign to be a bit more opinionated, then he lets loose a bit....