CFL Insider Lawless Leaving Canada

So I guess Lawless will have to learn the Vegas expansion draft rules now cuz listening to H and L... he had no clue. 

His CFL reporting will be missed. His NHL reporting? Not as much as despite the fact that someone tends to pretty much die on the hill for Lawless his lack of knowledge was quite apparent at times and for a guy whose Job was to actually know sports... he had very little clue actually.  Will I miss him? Nope.  I'll barely notice he's gone because in this day and age.... radio and print media are going the way of the dodo and so was Gary Lawless and like Ed Tait who was missed more... he realizes it's going away also. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm more of a music guy, but I can do (and have done, on a small scale) Sports and News...it just hasn't been my primary objective the last 15 years. I host Election Coverage events (huge Poli-junkie) and can host round-table format sports talk. Essentially what Huss does for H+L, I can do, and have done on a smaller scale....

As for Penton not being like Lawless...maybe that's a good thing? Here's the thing about doing that gig....you're not trying to directly replace GL, 'cause that's a fool's errand. Whoever comes in next has to be their own person and bring their own style. And if it *IS* Penton, who's to say he's not capable of being a little more "bold" in his opinions? We've only ever really heard him on buttoned-down CJOB, right? Maybe if you put him on TSN and give him free reign to be a bit more opinionated, then he lets loose a bit....

Depends what you're talking about when you say replacement.  If you are saying H&L becomes H&P, that's never going to happen.  The drive-home show has to be entertaining first and foremost, not just informative.  Gotta have some measure of charisma for that.  Maybe Penton's got it, maybe he don't.  I'd lean more towards Jeff Hamilton.

12 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Nah that doesn't mean anything.  He took the voluntary buyout from the Sun so he's likely got some cash and hence some time to wait for the right opportunity.

...and if you like being/working in Winnipeg, those are really rare....so yeah, he's not wrong to sit and wait, if he can.

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

As for Penton not being like Lawless...maybe that's a good thing? Here's the thing about doing that gig....you're not trying to directly replace GL, 'cause that's a fool's errand. Whoever comes in next has to be their own person and bring their own style. And if it *IS* Penton, who's to say he's not capable of being a little more "bold" in his opinions? We've only ever really heard him on buttoned-down CJOB, right? Maybe if you put him on TSN and give him free reign to be a bit more opinionated, then he lets loose a bit....

What is Penton history reporting on hockey?... I can only really recall him being a football reporter... but I'm sure every sports reporter in Canada has worked in hockey at some point in their career... 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

So I guess Lawless will have to learn the Vegas expansion draft rules now cuz listening to H and L... he had no clue. 

His CFL reporting will be missed. His NHL reporting? Not as much as despite the fact that someone tends to pretty much die on the hill for Lawless his lack of knowledge was quite apparent at times and for a guy whose Job was to actually know sports... he had very little clue actually.  Will I miss him? Nope.  I'll barely notice he's gone because in this day and age.... radio and print media are going the way of the dodo and so was Gary Lawless and like Ed Tait who was missed more... he realizes it's going away also. 

Dying on a hill for a sports reporter is silly.  So too is pretending to know as much as him and acting like he had zero contacts, zero insight etc.  Winnipeg will definitely miss Lawless.

To be fair, I doubt Gary will miss you much either. :P

22 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Dying on a hill for a sports reporter is silly.  So too is pretending to know as much as him and acting like he had zero contacts, zero insight etc.  Winnipeg will definitely miss Lawless.

To be fair, I doubt Gary will miss you much either. :P

If he was such an insider of the Jets like you'd like to believe he wouldn't be leaving. His CFL knowledge was strong. His NHL and Jets knowledge was lacking. Personally don't care. Not sure why u get your panties in a bunch ovee these things tho. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Depends what you're talking about when you say replacement.  If you are saying H&L becomes H&P, that's never going to happen.  The drive-home show has to be entertaining first and foremost, not just informative.  Gotta have some measure of charisma for that.  Maybe Penton's got it, maybe he don't.  I'd lean more towards Jeff Hamilton.

The way Hustler was talking it sounds like they have some plans that wont just be replacing Lawless.

And lets be honest, when H&L started, they were terrible, especially Gary who sounded like English was his 4th language at times.  He drastically improved through experience and effort.  No one would confuse him with Bob Irving even at the end, but as the "expert" he grew into the role and he and Hustler had solid chemistry.

So whomever they might tap now might not seem like an idea choice from a radio/TV standpoint, but they could grow into it. 

I remember when Scott Taylor was the King of Winnipeg sports media.  Then it was Gary.  Who's next?

And will TSN corporate want to slide someone into that role as the Winnipeg correspondent?

It will be interesting to see what Lawless does with the Vegas role.  Being an "insider" (his official title) on the team payroll wont be the same as an insider not on the payroll.

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

If he was such an insider of the Jets like you'd like to believe he wouldn't be leaving. His CFL knowledge was strong. His NHL and Jets knowledge was lacking. Personally don't care. Not sure why u get your panties in a bunch ovee these things tho. 

I dont at all.  But anytime anyone mentions something per Lawless you go nuts trying to pour water all over it.  Its weird.

Just now, Goalie said:

He was never really an insider tho. He was just a guy with a radio show pretty much. 

You put him on this pedestal for some reason but reality is he broke as many stories about the Jets as you or I did. 

Riiiiiight.   I dont put him on a pedestal.  Did he cut you off in traffic or something?  lol  Its a beautiful day, go get some sun and be happy for a change.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

He and Hustler had great chemistry on the radio.  Good, entertaining show.

I listen to them on the way home every day (usually between 4 - 5)  and Lawless is usually quiet with Hustler doing nearly all of the talking.

Way more chemistry on the morning drive with Toth and Westwood. 

5 hours ago, Atomic said:

Nah that doesn't mean anything.  He took the voluntary buyout from the Sun so he's likely got some cash and hence some time to wait for the right opportunity.

Agreed. It's not like there are daily media opportunities to cover sports in Winnipeg everyday. Especially with the shrinking market thanks to our media Toronto only centric media ******* companies controlling things now.

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Agreed. It's not like there are daily media opportunities to cover sports in Winnipeg everyday. Especially with the shrinking market thanks to our media Toronto only centric media ******* companies controlling things now.

I clicked "like" but I'm actually sitting here chuckling at this, in spite of it.....you're 100% correct, of course....I just shake my head.

Another thing is that Winnipeg media outlets LOVE to recycle "known" names...they're terrified of bringing in unheard of people. That's why you see so many of the Wpg media folks have worked everywhere...

Edited by Noeller