CFL Combine

Mike

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It would be nice if they brought in TSN to film the Combine professionally, some of the camera work was pretty weak.  They need to set up a couple of towers so that they ccan cover the entire event from a higher perch.  If the next Combine is in Wpg. where is it held?

Ralph Cantafio Soccer Complex at the University?

17 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Only after he stuffed himself with wings and swilled the vodka.

That's if we're sure it was "Grey Goose" to begin with.

Are we sure it wasn't a grey goose Farmer Fred hit on the side of the road?

Edited by Jimmy Pop

28 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It would be nice if they brought in TSN to film the Combine professionally, some of the camera work was pretty weak.  They need to set up a couple of towers so that they ccan cover the entire event from a higher perch.  If the next Combine is in Wpg. where is it held?

Pretty sure TSN doesn't have any full-time cameramen on the payroll.  No reason that the same professional freelancers couldn't have been brought in to shoot.  That being said, if you don't have a crew (and a director/switcher) calling for different angles at the appropriate times, you get out of frame shots because you have one guy trying to capture an entire sequence from a poor vantage point.  That's hard, no matter how good a cameraman you are.

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

That's if we're sure it was "Grey Goose" to begin with.

Are we sure it wasn't a grey goose Farmer Fred hit on the side of the road?

Their interview consisted of how fast you can pluck a goose...  then chug a 6 of Pil and run the 40 in rubber boots.

7 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

high receiver draft picks always seem to get injured early in the season and end up watching on the sidelines all year.  At least when we pick them anyway.  Or they just stink, like Harry Potter Etienne.

Wouldn't a better movie  reference have been ," A Series of Unfortunate Events"?

Edited by tracker

6 hours ago, bb1 said:

Word out of Saskatchewan is that there was only supposed to be 22 people in that room....the curse strikes again.

post of the month right here. :D

7 hours ago, Dr. Blue said:

I find it interesting they list 3 rbs and not ante litre. Even after augustines combine i think its 1a and 1b far more then vandervoort and behar. 

6 hours ago, Floyd said:

I heard there was supposed to be 24 but one guy retired on his way down the hall.

I heard they actually had 10 more guys but they have learned from the 2016 season and improved the super secret roster. 

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

agree 100%. Maybe this will be in the cards over the next few years like how the draft became televised. They could atleast get some college AV kids and give them a gig and stream a show on cfl.ca/YT, Im sure duane forde etc could use the pay check. 

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Joe Poplawski. Others since.

Probably right era inclusive wise. I should have included an * that I dont think there is any comparison to prospects that come out in the last 15 years to the previous 10 or so. Modern era wise Vandervoort seems head and shoulders more polished then any wr weve seen out of the cis. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Probably right era inclusive wise. I should have included an * that I dont think there is any comparison to prospects that come out in the last 15 years to the previous 10 or so. Modern era wise Vandervoort seems head and shoulders more polished then any wr weve seen out of the cis. 

This is probably true... its also true that no one would notice him if Simonise was still in this year's draft.

I really don't see a huge difference between him and Jones, Coehoorn, Harty...  big-body, CFL ready, looked great in combine...

Will be a solid 500 yard receiver...

I'd say Fantuz was pretty good coming out of the CIS. When Vandervoort's name was first brought up a while back, it was said he's comparable to Fantuz.

Interestly enough, Fantuz took it upon himself to try and train a bit with Vandervoort this offseason.  Not sure if it happened or not though;

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/01/31/present-meets-past-no-lack-similarities-vandervoort-fantuz/

In any case, if this kid was the next fantuz, I'd be all over that at draft time.  No offense to JFG but he is no Fantuz (at least early in his career Fantuz)

8 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I'd say Fantuz was pretty good coming out of the CIS. When Vandervoort's name was first brought up a while back, it was said he's comparable to Fantuz.

Interestly enough, Fantuz took it upon himself to try and train a bit with Vandervoort this offseason.  Not sure if it happened or not though;

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/01/31/present-meets-past-no-lack-similarities-vandervoort-fantuz/

In any case, if this kid was the next fantuz, I'd be all over that at draft time.  No offense to JFG but he is no Fantuz (at least early in his career Fantuz)

Every year...  just sayin'...

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/10/argos-select-receiver-brian-jones-at-no-4

In the case of Brian Jones, the Acadia product is linked to Andy Fantuz, a stud slot and a Grey Cup champion whose recent run in the Hammer has been plagued by injury.

... or they're compared to Clermont...

Edited by Floyd

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

Or the fancy new one in garden City 

Can they put turf down at the Convention Centre or Mts Centre for some of the combine events? Is that what they did in Regina?

The Soccer Complex at the U of M would work for the combine itself but there is nothing near by for all the other events that now make up CFL Week.

2 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Can they put turf down at the Convention Centre or Mts Centre for some of the combine events? Is that what they did in Regina?

The Soccer Complex at the U of M would work for the combine itself but there is nothing near by for all the other events that now make up CFL Week.

Except for an entire university campus including a 33000 seat stadium with event space, a 2500 seat gym and a field house.

Faith Ekakitie, Justin Dunk's early pick to go 1st overall, had his pro day yesterday.  His numbers (for the most part) were better than the other top DT's.  Ankou beat him on the bench press & broad jump but that's about it.  Only one year as a starter in university and only started playing football 5-6 years ago though so he might not be as ready to step right in as some of the other guys.

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/27/canadian-defensive-lineman-faith-ekakitie-iowa-pro-day-results/

16 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Faith Ekakitie, Justin Dunk's early pick to go 1st overall, had his pro day yesterday.  His numbers (for the most part) were better than the other top DT's.  Ankou beat him on the bench press & broad jump but that's about it.  Only one year as a starter in university and only started playing football 5-6 years ago though so he might not be as ready to step right in as some of the other guys.

http://3downnation.com/2017/03/27/canadian-defensive-lineman-faith-ekakitie-iowa-pro-day-results/

Canadian defensive lineman Faith Ekakitie performed for scouts at Iowa’s pro day on Monday – three CFL teams attended, Lions, Argos and Alouettes.

No Bombers rep at his pro day, seems unlikely (though not impossible) that we will take him with our first-rounders.