Canadian Politics

36 minutes ago, Mark F said:

empty bottle makes the most noise

"According to a poll released by Research Co. on Friday, only 23 per cent of Albertans support the province becoming an independent country. The total has dropped two percentage points since it was last conducted in February 2021. Seventy per cent of respondents oppose the idea. 

Support for independence was at 21 per cent in Calgary, 24 per cent in Edmonton and 29 per cent in rural Alberta."

https://calgaryherald.com/news/support-for-independent-alberta-drops-to-23-per-cent-poll

I think another answer has to be added as an option. Something like:

Absurd, nonsense drivel that has no place in sane political discourse.

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

empty bottle makes the most noise

"According to a poll released by Research Co. on Friday, only 23 per cent of Albertans support the province becoming an independent country. The total has dropped two percentage points since it was last conducted in February 2021. Seventy per cent of respondents oppose the idea. 

Support for independence was at 21 per cent in Calgary, 24 per cent in Edmonton and 29 per cent in rural Alberta."

https://calgaryherald.com/news/support-for-independent-alberta-drops-to-23-per-cent-poll

Roughly equal to their IQ scores.

20 hours ago, Tracker said:

Roughly equal to their IQ scores.

Hey mods, look at me, I just disparaged 1,000,000 Albertans by saying they're dumber than rocks.  

On 2022-09-06 at 2:28 PM, HardCoreBlue said:

I think another answer has to be added as an option. Something like:

Absurd, nonsense drivel that has no place in sane political discourse.

why can't people discuss if they want?  Doing so in a calm manner is sane political discourse.  You don't get to decide what people can and cannot discuss.  There's a word for people who shout down political opinions they don't like, do you know what it is?

Edited by basslicker

27 minutes ago, basslicker said:

Hey mods, look at me, I just disparaged 1,000,000 Albertans by saying they're dumber than rocks.  

why can't people discuss if they want?  Doing so in a calm manner is sane political discourse.  You don't get to decide what people can and cannot discuss.  There's a word for people who shout down political opinions they don't like, do you know what it is?

In fairness most folks on this site suggest that folks in Saskatchewan are inbred knuckledraggers so I guess it really depends on who or what you are talking about.    :D 

Just now, Brandon said:

In fairness most folks on this site suggest that folks in Saskatchewan are inbred knuckledraggers so I guess it really depends on who or what you are talking about.    :D 

And, being from Manitoba, I have known way too many people who have never left the province, for any reason.  Hard to have an accurate take on a large population you have never been immersed in.

10 minutes ago, basslicker said:

Where you and I differ is how we make the distinction between sane political discourse with often times differing opinions to complete absurd drivel that’s shouted out over and over again with no depth and no reflection. I’m not advocating shouting it down. I’m advocating to ignore it and put it where it belongs. We can discuss anything we want ie freedom of speech but freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences whether you do it calmly or not. I simply posted what I believe needed to be an option for people in responding to a question. You came in hot on it. We will never agree on this, I get it, especially over the internet but I am truly confident in my position here as a lifelong learner accessing a multitude of reliable valid (yes we will differ on this as well) sources to help me understand how we can cohabitate with one another from different viewpoints effectively and appropriately. 

5 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Where you and I differ is how we make the distinction between sane political discourse with often times differing opinions to complete absurd drivel that’s shouted out over and over again with no depth and no reflection. I’m not advocating shouting it down. I’m advocating to ignore it and put it where it belongs. We can discuss anything we want ie freedom of speech but freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences whether you do it calmly or not. I simply posted what I believe needed to be an option for people in responding to a question. You came in hot on it. We will never agree on this, I get it, especially over the internet but I am truly confident in my position here as a lifelong learner accessing a multitude of reliable valid (yes we will differ on this as well) sources to help me understand how we can cohabitate with one another from different viewpoints effectively and appropriately. 

Fair enough.  I do see some benefits of being one's own country, apart from Ottawa.  Disadvantages as well for sure.  To live here in Alberta, you see first hand the damage done by destroying the main economy-driving industry.  The anger is at least  understandable, if sometimes delivered less-than-politely.  

Edited by basslicker

1 hour ago, basslicker said:

Fair enough.  I do see some benefits of being one's own country, apart from Ottawa.  Disadvantages as well for sure.  To live here in Alberta, you see first hand the damage done by destroying the main economy-driving industry.  The anger is at least  understandable, if sometimes delivered less-than-politely.  

Well you better reconsider who actually destroyed the benefits of that economy.  Under Peter Lougheed Oil royalty % (as value of petroleum sales) was 33.1%.  By 2012 it was down to 4.3% under Alison Redford.  That is all pre-NDP government and all negotiated by the province.

Alberta would have had 865 Billion in the Heritage Fund by 2012 if they hadn't knuckled under to the Petro Industry.

http://changenowforgood.ca/albertas-new-premier-view-royalties/

Edited by Wideleft

2 hours ago, basslicker said:

You may not have meant it as such, but your post reads that you imply that somehow the rest of Canada is responsible for the downturn the Alberta economy. The damage has been self-inflicted by generations of administrations that assumed that the gravy train would go on forever and spent like drunken sailors. 

Edited by Tracker

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-leadership-start-counting-1.6575785

The Conservative Party of Canada said Thursday it has started counting the more than 400,000 ballots that have been cast in the party's leadership race — a record-breaking number in the contest to pick a new permanent leader.

Of the 678,702 members who were eligible to vote, the party received 437,854 ballots by the Tuesday deadline — a roughly 65 per cent turnout. That's the same turnout that was recorded in the 2020 leadership election.

"Canada's Conservatives continue to set records in 2022," said Rob Batherson, the party's president.

"This is the largest number of Canadians to vote in a leadership election — of any political party — in our country's history. Canadians are clearly turning to the Conservatives to bring change to Canada."

That last line... Good grief. LOL

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

In Ontario/Quebec it definitely looks that way.  Sometimes change can be good so hopefully if (when?) they win that they make positive changes.      

Change for the sake of change rarely works out when the party you're changing to won't present a real platform.

15 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well I lost a bet.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2022/09/07/justin-trudeau-tells-cabinet-hes-sticking-around-as-leader-for-the-next-election.html

Just tells me that Joly/Freeland got lots of time to lay the groundwork for an insurection. 

I wouldn't bet the farm on Trudeau staying on. The Tories will waste all of their ammunition on him and then he steps away, leaving the opposition flailing away at thin air.

10 hours ago, Tracker said:

I wouldn't bet the farm on Trudeau staying on. The Tories will waste all of their ammunition on him and then he steps away, leaving the opposition flailing away at thin air.

On the other hand, "Trudeau bad!" Has been a losing election strategy 3 times in a row now so maybe they feel safe if that's all the conservatives have got.

22 hours ago, JCon said:

Convoy Party of Canada. 

I think this comment is unfair. There's a whole lot of other sh*tty things that PP stands for to only be stained with one thing. 😁

Looks like Canada will have an opportunity to either embrace or reject heading in the direction of our southern neighbours.