Canadian Politics

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

soon enough, we wont want them at all, except for a transit corridor.

then they can go ahead and leave.

The sovereigntists do not comprise the majority of Albertans, but they are certainly the most vocal, most annoying and most tending to violence if their minority views are not adopted. Quebec has always had a small percentage  of separatists, but since the October Crisis (which was really overblown) they have subsided into almost irrelevance. Because Alberta is the province most alike the southern states, they seem to adopt the same self-defeating nonsensical views as their idols. They are oblivious to the inherent racist, misogynist and intolerant outcomes that these cretins has begun to institute in the US.

From living in Calgary for over 30 years I've seen the anger & resentment towards the federal Liberals since Chretien was PM. Especially the hatred directed at Trudeau since he became PM in 2015 with his domestic policies on pipelines, oil tankers & climate change, I think te assertion that there's only a small percentage of Albertans who are actually separatists is wrong.  

I think the number is far larger as people who support separatism are still afraid to show their support so they keep it to themselves. They're looking for a popular mainstream politician to make separatism legit like Rene Levesque did in 1976. Danielle Smith is not mainstream. She's a nutbar & yet even she has a lot of support already. Get someone to lead that movement everyone could support & separatism could really grow in Alberta.

Electing Danielle Smith leader of the UCP will only hand the province back to the NDP. And make the issue of separatism just smoulder even more. 

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

quebec referendum on separation was around 51 no 49 yes. 

I believe those were idealists who were swept up in the wave Rene' generated and reacted without thinking it through. Six months later, the PLQ separationist support fell back to where it has been: 15-18%. A good parallel is England's brexit referendum where voters were fed a steady stream of disinformation about how the EU was beggaring Britain and how much better life would be should Britain leave. As it turned out, a myriad of problems have occurred and are still extant and if the vote was held again today, it would be defeated 3 or 4-1. Buyers' remorse.

Imagine berating another human because you're an ignorant, uninformed, gullible, scared sociopath piece of **** and then being proud about what you did. And then there's his oxygen thief wife/partner encouraging him as he does it, filming the whole thing on her phone.

Disgusting human beings.

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Imagine berating another human because you're an ignorant, uninformed, gullible, scared sociopath piece of **** and then being proud about what you did. And then there's his oxygen thief wife/partner encouraging him as he does it, filming the whole thing on her phone.

Disgusting human beings.

I’m hoping their time is coming to an end soon, back to under the rock where they cometh from.

On 2022-08-27 at 6:14 AM, Mark F said:
large, angry Albertan threatening a person.

The disappointing thing is this guy has his wife's complete support instead of her utter disapproval for being a lout and a public embarrassment, any half intelligent female should hold a veto over male stupidity, something is broken.  Together people of this ilk are raising a future generation of complete morons.

I love the irony of these "Freedumb!" idiots throwing around the term traitor at the drop of a hat, when their modus operandi pretty much revolves around ultimately committing treason to secure all the rights they seem to think have been violated.

Edited by Fatty Liver

21 hours ago, Mark F said:

quebec referendum on separation was around 51 no 49 yes. 

There were so many lies told in that referendum. On an AG end the separatists told Quebec Dairy farmers they would remain part of the CANADIAN  Dairy marketing board. They basicly campaigned say I g they would keep whatever they wanted ( things that would benefit them) and toss whatever they didnt want. As if it would be their choice alone.  And people bought what they were selling. The other massive issue was what would have happened on 1st nations. I distinctly remember The head of the Northern Chiefs saying " Nobody is telling us what country we belong to " .A yes vote would have been one hell of a disaster.

Edited by the watcher

12 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

The disappointing thing is this guy has his wife's complete support instead of her utter disapproval for being a lout and a public embarrassment, an intelligent female should hold a veto over male stupidity, something is broken.  Together people of this ilk are raising a future generation of complete morons.

I love the irony of these "Freedumb!" idiots throwing around the term traitor at the drop of a hat, when their modus operandi pretty much revolves around ultimately committing treason to secure all the rights they seem to think have been violated.

It's the same mentality as down South. " My freedoms ! My rights ! What ever I want is a right !"  But the wants,  freedom and rights of everyone else don't count and should be squashed with a Jackboot. 

16 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Disgusting human beings.

And the politicians condemning this behaviour need also to say this isn’t a case of having differing political platforms. This is wingnut behaviour not associated to any sane political beliefs. 

They don’t hold political beliefs. They are against everything that doesn’t think, feel and look like them.

We’re way past the point in thinking civil discourse with most of these knuckle draggers will broaden their perspectives.

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

distinctly remember The head of the Northern Chiefs saying " Nobody is telling us what country we belong to

I remember that as well.

from what you said, sounds a bit like Boris Johnson brexit lies.

The hate for Justin Trudeau Alberta is odd.... 

demand... build pipeline. done.

demand... lobby biden to build keystone xl. done.

sell, and finance pipeline to,private intereste. done.

s. harper couldnt have done a better job for the oily province.

these people are our deplorables.

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

I remember that as well.

from what you said, sounds a bit like Boris Johnson brexit lies.

demand... build pipeline- done.

demand... lobby Biden to build keystone xl-. done.

sell, and finance pipeline to private interests. -done.

s. harper couldn't have done a better job for the oily province.

these people are our deplorables.

Short of moving the capital of Canada from Ottawa to Red Deer, and probably not even then, nothing is going to satisfy these malcontents. They are just shadows of the Qanon/GOP cabal in hte US with fewer guns and less influence. 

23 hours ago, the watcher said:

It's the same mentality as down South. " My freedoms ! My rights ! What ever I want is a right !"  But the wants,  freedom and rights of everyone else don't count and should be squashed with a Jackboot. 

Speaking of free speech, they need to create a new law that charges obtuse offenders with public harassment in cases like this, and they need to enforce it to send the message that we are a civil society.  I don't care if there is jail time associated with a conviction or not, but make sure the fine is at least $3000 so the morons get the message that harassment and intimidation will not be tolerated.

Edited by Fatty Liver

6 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Has PP said anything about this? That is a voice that really needs to come out and condemn this type of behaviour, strongly, rather than stoke the outrage for personal gain. People shouldn't be comforted that these type of views are supported by politicians.

Poilievre is using the same tactics as Trump- speaking in coded but unmistakable language to court the nutball votes and, most importantly, their willingness to use intimidation and violence. Without an overt endorsement of these, but clear in his meaning, he can vaguely distance himself without offending or alienating them should violence occur. Plausible deniability.

14 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Poilievre is using the same tactics as Trump- speaking in coded but unmistakable language to court the nutball votes and, most importantly, their willingness to use intimidation and violence. Without an overt endorsement of these, but clear in his meaning, he can vaguely distance himself without offending or alienating them should violence occur. Plausible deniability.

I've checked and Charest has condemned the idiot, but PP tweeted on the same day:

Thanks to hundreds in Calgary who took time out of their Saturday to join us. They're voting to take back control of their lives from Trudeau & his out-of-touch bossy Liberal govt. Chip in to help us collect more votes in these last days of the campaign: http://Pierre4PM.ca/donate

Trudeau has tried to play this up as an attack on women and hinted at a connection to attacks on minorities. I think that's trying to win political points off this. I think it is very clearly a segment of population that has been fed BS that a political party and individuals within the party are to blame for all the problems in their lives. I think Trudeau would have been harassed the exact same way as Freeland in this situation. I've talked to my parents about this and they don't recall Canada ever being like this, with people outright harassing individual politicians continually. It is disgusting.

11 hours ago, Mark F said:

it's legacy hate. His dad was fully deserving of the hate he got and Chretien did nothing to make the Liberals more popular in Alberta so Trudeau + Liberal = poison in Alberta. 

2 hours ago, WildPath said:

Has PP said anything about this? That is a voice that really needs to come out and condemn this type of behaviour, strongly, rather than stoke the outrage for personal gain. People shouldn't be comforted that these type of views are supported by politicians.

why would he condemn this when these are his people?

11 hours ago, 17to85 said:

it's legacy hate. His dad was fully deserving of the hate he got and Chretien did nothing to make the Liberals more popular in Alberta so Trudeau + Liberal = poison in Alberta. 

why would he condemn this when these are his people?

Bite your tongue! Other than this one random photo of "two strangers talking" and maybe a video or two, there's no evidence whatsoever that Pierre consorts with this specific dude!

20 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Ha - perhaps they could start by ending all the useless heckling during question period...

And afterwards, they all go out for drinks together. Lorne Nystrom (former MP) said that when he first stood and delivered criticism to the then-government minister, he was royally raked over the coals. After the session was over, said minister met him in the hallway and sort of apologized followed by an invitation for the rookie to come along for a couple of beers.