Canadian Politics

The guy has no plan. He's a complete moron and the morons that lap it up are falling overthemselves for him. 

If you thought the Convoy Party of Canada couldn't get lower than Sheer or O'Toole, hold your hats! He's probably dumber than Bernier. 

Edited by JCon

2 hours ago, WildPath said:

I almost wonder if the constant unfair targeting of Trudeau by the right helps the party. There are legitimate criticisms, but most of the criticisms from PP & Co. are ridiculous, inaccurate and beyond the control of Trudeau (Justinflation for example). I know it makes me more sympathetic and has me thinking along the lines of "whatever we can do to stop PP from getting power". The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Perhaps some apathetic voters will see the danger of Trumpism coming to Canada and will increase voter turnout?

Possibly.  As I say each time I make a Trudeau comment I totally dislike him but the BS they throw at him is ignorant. The guy has given enough ammunition to the other side that they don't need to make crap up. And they definatly don't need to inflame and embolden the nut bars. I think if people hang with the  radical right long enough they come to believe that most people think that way. 

The longer this goes on, and the crazier the USA gets the more important this next election becomes in my mind. I've  never feared that any particular leader or party would get in power or hold the balance of power in Canada. I always believe the pendulum has to swing back and forth to keep the Canadian clock running properly.  What's happening now is different. Tantamount to throwing a wrench in the gears.

While I'm not the biggest JT fan, I can't argue that this government has at least tried to do the right things for people who need it most (cheaper daycare, CERB, climate change, FN water supply etc.).  He is simply not a regressive or destructive force, which is what most people want.  At the very least, this government has shown a steady hand on the "wheel" in extraordinarily unsteady times.

Progressive policies take a lot longer to implement than regressive ones.  It's easier to cut and destroy than it is to build.  He's also still very young as far as PM's go.  With that in mind, I'm not sure I understand the clamber to get rid of him when the Libs pretty much own the East (federally) and provincial politics (save Ontario) is showing fatigue for Conservatives.

PP and Singh are not realistic alternatives and these next 3 years will be the closest Singh ever gets to a having a say in this country.  Would not be surprised at all if the next election is not called early.

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Trudeau has also increased transfer payments to the provinces. In these difficult times for health care, this can not be overstated. 

True but so did the Conservatives, even if they slowed it down. 

Rather than just increasing healthcare transfers, though, I would like to see him take on the provinces that pocket that money for other things. Namely, anywhere there is a "conservative" gov't and the biggest whiners. ON, MB, SK, and AB immedietly come to mind. They should be held accountable. 

Just now, WildPath said:

Again I would assert that he isn't dumb. He's just identified his path to power and is executing a plan. His followers are generally the morons who's only grasp of politics is to repeat catch phrases - "Justinflation" "Lock her up!", oh wait, wrong self-serving populist.

No, he's dumb too. In all his years, he's not been capable of handling basic debates and cannot understand basic economic priciples. 

Obvously, part of it is his schtick but he does it well cause that's who he is.

There's a reason Little PP was never trusted to hold an important portfolio. He's only slightly smarter and capable than his followers. 

41 minutes ago, JCon said:

Rather than just increasing healthcare transfers, though, I would like to see him take on the provinces that pocket that money for other things. Namely, anywhere there is a "conservative" gov't and the biggest whiners. ON, MB, SK, and AB immedietly come to mind. They should be held accountable. 

So much this! They constantly criticize and send blame to the Feds to win political points at home so they can mask their own cuts and attribute blame elsewhere.

I'm more familiar with the education sector than healthcare and in education this is also an issue. Especially in MB where we've basically abandoned our provincial source of income (education property tax) in order to win political points from property owners while going years without a plan how to fund education.

15 minutes ago, WildPath said:

So much this! They constantly criticize and send blame to the Feds to win political points at home so they can mask their own cuts and attribute blame elsewhere.

I'm more familiar with the education sector than healthcare and in education this is also an issue. Especially in MB where we've basically abandoned our provincial source of income (education property tax) in order to win political points from property owners while going years without a plan how to fund education.

Like @Wideleftastutely put it, it's easier to tear down than build. This is what they've done for the past 6 years. Tear down with no plan. 

The next gov't will spend their entire first term just trying to get back what we've lost with this pathetic excuse of a gov't.

Ontario will never recover. They still hadn't recovered from Harris' horific gov't. 

22 minutes ago, WildPath said:

It's almost as if they want the population to stay poorly educated... because the polls show that they don't do well among the higher educated.

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

Like @Wideleftastutely put it, it's easier to tear down than build. This is what they've done for the past 6 years. Tear down with no plan. 

I am also more familiar with the education sector.

Under the NDP, Manitoba teachers were actually the third highest paid in the world, for several years

Finland was first in teacher salaries, Canada was second. Within Canada, Manitoba was second only to Alberta

From 2008 - 2010: 3% increase per year

2010 - 2014: 3% the first year, 2% in each of the following 3 years

2014 - 2018: 2% each year, with 3% in the final year

This amounts to a 24% increase, during that time period

I will say I was not completely surprised - to see some reductions while the PCs were in power.

1 minute ago, Sard said:

It's almost as if they want the population to stay poorly educated... because the polls show that they don't do well among the higher educated.

The exact same thing I said to a friend when I heard of the plan for Florida to allow military veterans to be teachers. (Veterans can now serve as teachers in FL under new program (americanmilitarynews.com) The right is realizing that a well-educated society with critical thinking skills goes against their goals.

In addition to defunding education, the MB PC's have also tried to tie funding to the demands of industry. Obedient workers over critical minds. Lots of attempted political interference in both grade school and post-secondary education.

Just now, WildPath said:

In addition to defunding education, the MB PC's have also tried to tie funding to the demands of industry. Obedient workers over critical minds. Lots of attempted political interference in both grade school and post-secondary education.

This is a long standing practice - the roots of our current system trace back to the Industrial Revolution. 

5 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I am also more familiar with the education sector.

Under the NDP, Manitoba teachers were actually the third highest paid in the world, for several years

Finland was first in teacher salaries, Canada was second. Within Canada, Manitoba was second only to Alberta

From 2008 - 2010: 3% increase per year

2010 - 2014: 3% the first year, 2% in each of the following 3 years

2014 - 2018: 2% each year, with 3% in the final year

This amounts to a 24% increase, during that time period

I will say I was not completely surprised - to see some reductions while the PCs were in power.

I don't disagree but educaiton is far more than just teacher salaries. There is no plan to build system and no capacity to fund it. But, that's the point and someone else's problem. 

Edited by JCon

5 hours ago, WildPath said:

I almost wonder if the constant unfair targeting of Trudeau by the right helps the party. There are legitimate criticisms, but most of the criticisms from PP & Co. are ridiculous, inaccurate and beyond the control of Trudeau (Justinflation for example). I know it makes me more sympathetic and has me thinking along the lines of "whatever we can do to stop PP from getting power". The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Perhaps some apathetic voters will see the danger of Trumpism coming to Canada and will increase voter turnout?

If Justin is considering stepping down, the time to do that would be a year or less before the next election, so as to give the new leader time to present as a credible leader and less time for the opposition to smear him.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

I don't disagree but educaiton is far more than just teacher salaries. There is no plan to build system and no capacity to fund it. But, that's the point and someone else's problem. 

Yes.  And the systemic problems are not exclusive to any political party

However, in education, 80-90% of the funding goes into salaries and human resources

You can't build or for that matter 'rebuild' an education system, without putting a big focus on teacher salaries

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Yes.  And the systemic problems are not exclusive to any political party

However, in education, 80-90% of the funding goes into salaries and human resources

You can't build or for that matter 'rebuild' an education system, without putting a big focus on teacher salaries

Do you have a source for the salaries you quoted above? I'm just curious if that is a true raise in addition to COLA or not. Otherwise anything within 1-3% is basically keeping up with inflation.

You also can't rebuild or even maintain an education system when you get rid of a huge source of funding without a plan to replace Completely irresponsible attempt to rid the richest in society of a tax burden. Then some pretty shoddy legislation such as bill 64 makes things even worse and actually works against systemic solutions (increasing gaps related to poverty, etc). Interestingly, even the most proudly Conservative of my teaching friends were staunchly against the attempted changes.

Do you have a source for the salaries you quoted above? I'm just curious if that is a true raise in addition to COLA or not. Otherwise anything within 1-3% is basically keeping up with inflation.

You also can't rebuild or even maintain an education system when you get rid of a huge source of funding without a plan to replace Completely irresponsible attempt to rid the richest in society of a tax burden. Then some pretty shoddy legislation such as bill 64 makes things even worse and actually works against systemic solutions (increasing gaps related to poverty, etc). Interestingly, even the most proudly Conservative of my teaching friends were staunchly against the attempted changes.

The lust for money through lower taxes is a mantra for the cons that takes precedence over everything, including stated policies.

The numbers are from MTS / my own records - they were mostly the same across the province

I have chaired collective bargaining for my local association, for a number of years

No, the raises are not in addition to COLA, but in many of those years, the increases were higher than inflation

Inflation from 2008 - 2018 ranged from 0.3% to 2.91%

Only 2008 and 2011 saw inflation go higher than 2%

Canadian mayor profanely taunts QAnon 'imbeciles' who tried to perform citizens arrests on her police.

A group of QAnon believers over the weekend tried to conduct citizens arrests of police officers in the city of Peterborough, Ontario -- and then promptly got thrown into the slammer themselves.

As Vice News reports, the QAnon faithful were in the city at the behest of Romana Didulo, the so-called "QAnon Queen" who earlier this year declared herself to be the "Leader of the World" during an event at a campground parking lot.
Didulo instructed her supporters to arrest the Peterborough officers for enforcing COVID-19 pandemic restrictions such as mask requirements.

As Vice News recounts, Didulo's plan resulted in one follower being "charged with two counts of assaulting police" another follower being slapped with "charges of mischief and resisting arrest" and a third being "arrested and charged with a myriad of charges, including assaulting a peace officer with a weapon."

Peterborough Mayor Diane Therrien took to Twitter on Tuesday to profanely mock the QAnon believers who thought they could get away with arresting her city's police officers.

"People have been asking me to comment on the events of the past weekend," she wrote. "I hate giving airtime/spotlight to these imbeciles. Here is my comment: f*ck off, you f*ckwads."

https://www.alternet.org/2022/08/canadian-mayor-profanely-qanon-imbeciles/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/freedom-convoy-protest-trudeau-emergencies-act-1.6552820

The man who negotiated on the City of Ottawa's behalf with Tamara Lich and other organizers of the Freedom Convoy says an agreement for truckers to leave the city's residential streets wasn't given enough time to play out before the federal government used its emergency powers to quell the weeks-long occupation.

"This is a black mark on Canadian history," Dean French said of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's decision to invoke the Emergencies Act on Feb. 14, just a day after word of an agreement between the city and truckers became public. 

"History will show this was a total overreaction."

Well, it's safe to say Dean French is a ******* moron. And Lich played him like a fiddle.

On 2022-08-16 at 10:13 AM, JCon said:

The guy has no plan. He's a complete moron and the morons that lap it up are falling overthemselves for him. 

If you thought the Convoy Party of Canada couldn't get lower than Sheer or O'Toole, hold your hats! He's probably dumber than Bernier. 

I keep seeing "he's a complete moron" when people discuss this rat. And he's not. He knows exactly what he's doing and why. He knows how the game works (been apart of it long enough) and he knows what his voting base wants to hear and is feeding it to them.

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I keep seeing "he's a complete moron" when people discuss this rat. And he's not. He knows exactly what he's doing and why. He knows how the game works (been apart of it long enough) and he knows what his voting base wants to hear and is feeding it to them.

No, he's truly not that smart. But, his schtick is effective.