Canadian Politics

Speaking of alt-right pieces of human excrement...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-threats-mackenzie-1.6595730

The RCMP confirmed Monday that it is looking into a threat of sexual violence directed at Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre's wife, Anaida Poilievre.

Poilievre denounced the threat from far-right political commentator Jeremy MacKenzie and said his office contacted law enforcement about the matter. 

An RCMP spokesperson told CBC News Monday that it's looking into the report.

"We can confirm that the matter has been referred to the RCMP and we are reviewing the information provided," they said in an email. 

"Only in the event that criminal charges are laid would the RCMP be in a position to confirm the nature of the complaint or any individuals allegedly involved."

Jeremy MacKenzie, the leader of the Canadian far-right group Diagolon, made the threats over the weekend in a stream on the social media app Telegram while speaking with a guest, Alex Vriend.

"Let's rape her," MacKenzie said. "It's not really a sex thing. It's like we just want to show people that we can do things to you if we want to. It's a power move."

MacKenzie made several racist and derogatory remarks about Anaida Poilievre's Venezuelan background in the stream.

How utterly disgusting.

22 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

How utterly disgusting.

Curious where this is going legally. No doubt they will talk to this dumbfock but anyone expecting a charge? 

As Jagmeet said "If there’s political will, we can do something to stop it." Is there?

3 hours ago, JCon said:

I guess it depends on where you put healthcare and childcare on the spectrum. 

I don't know where you put pipelines, which he's purchased, or expanding O&G to records exports but Alberta hates that he's expanded it so much. 

The childcare situation is so damaged in this country right now that it really seems like government intervention would be inevitable regardless of political bias. You're either starting a government agency, or you're subsiding private companies. So I suppose a government program would be further left....but that's not at all extreme to me. Or even going further left than what most Canadians already value. As in, some basic need being met.... being an agreed upon overall good thing. 

I definitely don't put his O&G policies etc as further left either. They're different. But not in anyway pushing left.

Alberta government calls on RCMP to ignore federal firearms ban within province

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-government-calls-on-rcmp-to-ignore-federal-firearms-ban-within-province-1.6084864

Think about these numbers, the AB. govt is willing to upset the apple cart for 326,709 licensed firearms owners of which 149,000 possess restricted firearms, in a province with a total population of 4.3 million. They certainly don't seem to be representing the majority of their citizens.

All this bluster will do is rile up the wingnuts and endanger the life of RCMP officers appointed to collect the restricted firearms that are not turned in.

4 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Wow, what a night of fun this would be for only $50, if they come to a theatre near me, I'm dressing up as Brett Butt's dad on Corner Gas and going straight off the rails!

Canadians for Truth

[FIRE & ICE LIVE AUDIENCE SHOW FEATURING SPECIAL GUEST, ARTUR PAWLOWSKI IN CALGARY]
Tickets now available for our FIRE & ICE SHOW Hosted by Theo Fleury & Jamie Salé with Feature Guest Pastor Pawlowski.
LIMITED TICKETS available so get yours now!
The Theo & Jamie Show - FIRE & ICE featuring Artur Pawlowski in Calgary

No end of stoopid people willing to give money to hear someone pretend they are as stupid.

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

How utterly disgusting.

Absolutely but Poilievre has reaped what he has sown. He has flirted with the extremists and one of the two men accused was brought onstage with Poilievre a few months ago and was photographed with him. Apparently the bone they had to pick with Poilievre was that Pierre's wife was from South America (not aboriginal as some have claimed to indicate he is not racist) and not a native-born Canadian. In an interview, one said they had been drinking but in the segment aired on CBC news, they both seemed pretty sober.

11 hours ago, Tracker said:

Absolutely but Poilievre has reaped what he has sown. He has flirted with the extremists and one of the two men accused was brought onstage with Poilievre a few months ago and was photographed with him. Apparently the bone they had to pick with Poilievre was that Pierre's wife was from South America (not aboriginal as some have claimed to indicate he is not racist) and not a native-born Canadian. In an interview, one said they had been drinking but in the segment aired on CBC news, they both seemed pretty sober.

A classic Leopards Ate My Face moment for the Populist Pigeon, to be sure. It's still disgusting rhetoric from human garbage like MacKenzie, though.

Meanwhile, the former continues to follow the Trump Playbook: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-conservative-party-lawyer-1.6596917

Pierre Poilievre has replaced the Conservative Party's top lawyer with his own pick, CBC News has learned, as he continues to shake up the party's upper echelons. 

The party's legal counsel, Arthur Hamilton, has been replaced with Michael Wilson, a Poilievre ally and partner at the law firm Goodmans, according to sources. The sources were not authorized to speak publicly about the change.

It's the latest in a series of appointments by Poilievre that include an overhaul of the party's powerful fundraising arm and a reported change to a high-ranking leadership role.

A spokesperson for Poilievre's office said he would not comment on staffing matters.

22 hours ago, Noeller said:

So just to clarify here: You think the Liberals are too far left? 

On some issues, certainly. I don't like tax and spend government that runs enormous deficits. I want a fiscally responsible government that provides services but value to the taxpayer. I really liked the Chretien Liberals, and I want the current Liberals to go back in that direction of government. 

I don't want an election run on boogeyman politics and virtue signalling by either party. It's how we have gotten the kind of weak sauce government we are currently seeing. I want an election with actual ideas and platforms that give the voter a choice on actual policy, not imagined worst case scenarios.

Edited by GCn20

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

On some issues, certainly. I don't like tax and spend government that runs enormous deficits. I want a fiscally responsible government that provides services but value to the taxpayer. I really liked the Chretien Liberals, and I want the current Liberals to go back in that direction of government. 

I don't want an election run on boogeyman politics by either party. It's how we have gotten the kind of weak sauce government we are currently seeing.

And yet all of the European-Nordic-Asian (etc) countries that have significantly or greatly higher tax rates consistently report satisfaction rates of citizens much higher than the US with lower rates of violent crime, infant mortality, maternal mortality and higher life expectancy than America. Apart from material possessions and funding the ultra-rich, I cannot see much advantage to the American capitalist model. Whatever Americans save on initial taxes they lose through healthcare costs, higher tuition, exorbitant utility costs and other delayed living costs. Moreover, the societal distress and conflict from all of the inequality has even greater costs to societies.

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

And yet all of the European-Nordic-Asian (etc) countries that have significantly or greatly higher tax rates consistently report satisfaction rates of citizens much higher than the US with lower rates of violent crime, infant mortality, maternal mortality and higher life expectancy than America. Apart from material possessions and funding the ultra-rich, I cannot see much advantage to the American capitalist model. Whatever Americans save on initial taxes they lose through healthcare costs, higher tuition, exorbitant utility costs and other delayed living costs. Moreover, the societal distress and conflict from all of the inequality has even greater costs to societies.

I am not in favor of the American model either but thanks for the info. I love our Canadian health care program, and other such programs that America does not have. That is not what I am talking about at all. I don't like government waste, never will, and this is not exclusive to any one party. 

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

I am not in favor of the American model either but thanks for the info. I love our Canadian health care program, and other such programs that America does not have. That is not what I am talking about at all. 

There is a direct relationship between supportive government social services and taxation. That said, no one, but one in any administration, civil, provincial or federal should be above scrutiny.

57 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I am not in favor of the American model either but thanks for the info. I love our Canadian health care program, and other such programs that America does not have. That is not what I am talking about at all. I don't like government waste, never will, and this is not exclusive to any one party. 

My concern with the way the Provincial Conservative governments have been running is to hack and slash at the health care programs to the point where they can point to them and say "see how broken the health care system is, we need to privatize it in order to fix it".  For some reason, they seem to think that the American model of health care is the better way to go, and all evidence world wide points to the contrary.  A healthy public health system is the best option for society as a whole.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

There is a direct relationship between supportive government social services and taxation. That said, no one, but one in any administration, civil, provincial or federal should be above scrutiny.

Yes, it isn't social services correlation to taxation that I have a problem with. It's wasteful spending's correlation to increased taxation that bothers me. I have no issue with paying a much higher tax rate than our US counterparts for the extra services we receive. I just don't like money being thrown about willy nilly with no regard to deficits or tax rates. I think centrist parties strike a nice balance in doing this, and it is mostly why the Liberals have been in power most of the last century. I don't like when economics slip too far left, or right. These type of governments should be replaced after no more than two terms imo.

4 minutes ago, Sard said:

My concern with the way the Provincial Conservative governments have been running is to hack and slash at the health care programs to the point where they can point to them and say "see how broken the health care system is, we need to privatize it in order to fix it".  For some reason, they seem to think that the American model of health care is the better way to go, and all evidence world wide points to the contrary.  A healthy public health system is the best option for society as a whole.

Absolutely. I voted for the PCs to take over from the NDP on the promise of fixing our finances. They went way over the top though and we now need an NDP government for a term just to balance this **** out. In my perfect world the PCs and NDP would go 8 years at a time and balance each other out. When one party takes it way too far, they need to go.

Edited by GCn20

Meanwhile, in Alabamberta: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-guns-federal-legislation-1.6596683

The Alberta government is taking steps to oppose federal firearms prohibition legislation and the potential seizure of thousands of assault-style weapons.

Alberta Justice Minister Tyler Shandro says he received a letter from the minister of public safety asking for police resources to begin confiscating firearms starting this fall.

He says Alberta will not agree to having RCMP officers act as confiscation agents and will protest any such move under the provincial-federal agreement that governs policing.

"Alberta taxpayers pay over $750 million per year for the RCMP and we will not tolerate taking officers off the streets in order to confiscate the property of law-abiding firearms owners," said Shandro, speaking at a news conference in Calgary.

...Shandro's position is supported by Alberta's chief firearms officer.

"I have previously expressed strong opposition to the federal government's plans to prohibit and confiscate some 30,000 lawfully acquired firearms from Albertans," said Teri Bryant.

"The planned confiscations represent a fatal approach to reducing violence in Canadian society and are unwarranted and unacceptable infringements on the property rights and personal freedoms of Albertans."

47 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

What about my rights and my family rights to feel safe in our community?

I guess the rights to own an assault weapon are more important than someone getting their hands on one to do damage. Yes you will yell your a responsible gun owner your rights don't stop at my fears with an added bonus of F Trudeau for good measure.